An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How helpful is your GP?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Cheeky_Chick, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

When you visit your GP, how helpful do you find them with regards to your addiction? I always feel as though she is looking down her nose at me, and as if my problems are just not as worthy as those who have a physical illness that can be shown on an X-Ray or something like that. I don't know if I am perhaps just being a little bit paranoid about it, so I thought that I would post here to see whether anybody else had similar kinds of experience to me!
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

If you think that is how your GP is treating you, I suggest go and talk to her, tell her about your observations when she is with you. For you to be able to recover successfully, you should also be very open to your GP. Both of you should work well with each other. You are like a team. If you are really uncomfortable with her, then I think it is time for you to find a new one.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think a good GP really helps in the ability to open up and have frank and honest conversations about what's happening with your health - both in terms of addiction and overall health and well being.

I've had both types - doctors that felt patronizing, and almost like they were looking down on me, but other ones that have been brilliant, inspiring, helpful...if your GP isn't helping you and making you feel worse rather than better I would recommend changing and finding a different doc!
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well these things happen. Not too many doctors have experience with this. A general practitioner deals with everyday stuff. What you are dealing with is kind of a specialty or emergency room stuff. A doctor is kind of coming from a different world altogether. I don't really think that someone like this is necessarily right for treating this much less giving advice. They mean well but there are plenty of people who specialize in this sort of thing. I wouldn't take it personally. She probably is looking down on you. But this happens with even illnesses sometimes with doctors. There is this distancing to keep themselves separate from disease or illness. Like a facade almost. Like I'm this and you are that, I don't want what you have kind of thing. I read this study and article about this. They don't necessarily do this on purpose it just happens from being around so many people who have all kinds of different health problems. There are other things to realize about this too. I mean people sometimes with drug problems can carry or have serious diseases. Doctors and nurses can become super paranoid about this. Like sharing needles and heroin. They might think of situations that don't even apply to you. We can't really blame them but this is the profession they chose so. I've seen some that are kind of over the top with worrying about it but I think that it's good to try and choose a doctor that you feel good about. There is a big difference between a doctor who has something valid to share about your condition and living....as opposed to someone who simply looks down upon you with nothing to say that helps you in anyway.