An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How I cured my addiction (PLEASE READ IT ALL)

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Lexi, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Lexi

Lexi Member

My own "thoughts" contained the cure for my alcohol addiction.

Every thought that you have has an impact in sculpting the life that you live. When I was younger, I thought in a way that made it easy to find failure in life. I would think negatively about myself and my only focus was on having fun, even though this "fun" was negatively impacting my life.

All of my thoughts were either negative or related to something negative. I needed to change this.

I was the type of person to look at myself in the mirror and notice the flaws before anything else. I was the type of person to look at someone in a bad situation and judge them negatively. I was the type of person to point out other peoples flaws and criticize others without even trying to help them. The list goes on and on. The point is, these thoughts are cancerous to your life.

Any thought that is not positive needs to go. I once thought about alcohol on a daily basis and now it is only a thought on occasion when it comes up in conversation or (obviously) I see it.

Every time I have a negative thought that goes against my goals in life, I am "Aware" that this thought is negative and so I replace it with positive thoughts. If after every negative thought you start thinking about all kinds of positive thoughts, you drowned out the negativity.

We all run on programs. The media brainwashes people. The people around you brainwash you. The way you interact with the world around you will change who you are.

Alcohol was destroying my life at a very young age. My "mindset" was holding me back. The moment I changed my mindset my life changed.

At my lowest point when I had completely broken down, I started screaming things like "**** this! I am not going out this way!" and my mindset in that moment switched to a "no matter what it takes" way of thinking.

If you are a "normal" person, you will fail. Normal people live normal lives and do not make extraordinary changes or do extraordinary things. My advice is "quit being normal".

I do not think like a "normal" person. I take pride in being psychotic/crazy but, in a good way. I will not allow anyone (family/friend/random person) or anything interfere with my goals and desires.

What I realized early on is that it is not so much other people that hold you back in life, it is you yourself. You have the power to be your worst enemy. You have the power to completely ruin your life. You also have the power to be disciplined and to be successful in any way that you truly desire.

We are the Gods/Goddesses of our own lives. Be yours and no change is impossible to make.

Life is an illusion, it is never as good or as bad as we think and it can change at any moment.
    Lostboy8731 and amethyst like this.
  2. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

This is excellent advice for anyone, not just addicts! We live in a society where we are supposed to be perfect, but even those who are "perfect" are only so after hair, makeup and airbrushing! This is such a great post! I am so happy for you and appreciate your desire to help others.
  3. Lexi

Lexi Member

I was an addict from age 13 to 16. You can read the post titled "My story" in the my story category. I went through a lot and what saved me was the realization that I needed to quit making excuses so, I started blocking out all negative thoughts and excuses and then I replaced them with positive thoughts and actions.

People with addictions tend to talk about how they think they cannot break the addiction and all negative thoughts of that sort. That will only trap the person in their addiction.

Forget what anyone says or thinks, addictions are beatable. It's not about finding the motivation (although that helps) it's about finding a "reason" and being "disciplined". I knew I could do so much more in life and that was my reason. I was not going to take any negative thought as being valid. Failure was not a thought no more. I simply decided to do it, no matter what it took.

Every action begins and ends in the mind. Our mindset is everything in life.
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  4. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

It's nice to see that there are a several amount of people who at some point of their lives, takes a break, and wakes up. You realized that something wasn't going good enough and you changed it. Way to go girl! Sadly, most people don't have that "wake up call" they don't hear the bell ringing or they just sneeze it.
    Lexi likes this.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Thank you very much for your wonderfully uplifting and encouraging words, Lexi. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say, and have applied very similar strategies in my own life to overcome my alcohol and nicotine addictions. It takes a lot of work and commitment to change one's negative patterns into something positive and productive, but the results can be incredible, and more importantly, long lasting.
    Congratulations for your great work, and for sharing your insights and knowledge.
    Lexi likes this.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Congrats on conquering addiction Lexi. I never thought of thinking about myself as a God in my own life. Now I can look at myself in front of mirror and say I am a God of my life.
    Lexi likes this.
  7. Lexi

Lexi Member

Maybe my story can inspire others as well. Life can become easy when a person quits making excuses and puts effort into bettering them selves. I no longer look at the word "addiction" the same because, I know in my heart there is nothing that I will ever allow to control me again, therefore, the word addiction has no meaning to me anymore. I took control of my life and no longer can the negative impact me in any major way.

Anyone with an addiction can beat it. As much as some may want to talk about how hard it is and this and that, the fact is a drug/alcohol addiction is beatable - like all the others. Who cares if it is hard? Overcoming "difficulty" is what allows a person to do great things in life.

Thanks for the replies! I enjoy hearing positive feedback from others. No one needs to suffer from an addiction.
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

You are a rockstar Lexi I should just follow in your footsteps. You should be able to lead others into following your example. I was just thinking about this post and realize that it is the way to get people to quickly go and seek help for his or her addiction.
    Lexi likes this.
  9. Lexi

Lexi Member

I am much closer to "insane" than I am a rockstar. haha

I say that because I put in so much effort to get to where I should have already been. The best part of this journey has been the knowledge gained from it. I feel blessed for everything that has happened. It all brought me to where I am.
    I want to be an entrepreneur and have a "game plan" to make it happen. But, I am far away from that still and it does not bother me one bit. All the effort I put into changing my life around has put me into a position where mentally I am ready to overcome any challenge and I know my "no quit" mindset will take me places as long as I continuously keep putting in lots of effort.

Before one becomes successful, they need to have a successful way of thinking. Our outlook on life is everything. A positive mindset will take you places. Your life is in your hands, don't let it go.

All I can say to anyone reading is, don't be afraid to do difficult tasks. Difficulty makes you stronger. I take pride in doing "difficult" tasks. This one will sound crazy to most but, one thing I like to do is to take an ice bath twice a month. Why do I do this? It is extremely difficult to get into a bath with ice in it and you need to be mentally strong to do so. Discipline is the only thing that allows me to soak in that water. I set a 3 minute timer and believe me when I say, those 3 minutes feel like 30 minutes. I do NOT enjoy ice baths at all but, I will not quit doing them until I am where I want to be in life. I am the furthest thing from normal and that was one of my goals, to not be "normal". (but in a good way)
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  10. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

Once you change your thoughts you can change your mind! It is all up to you! This was an inspiring message and I am so glad you found the strength to conquer your addiction!
    Lexi likes this.
  11. kfontroy

Congrats to you as well for conquering your addictions! One step and day at a time! Each day you conquer you are a winner!
  12. Lexi

Lexi Member

Thank you.

Although, I do agree about the "one step and day at a time", I don't like to think that way. I prefer to think of it as "challenge completed now onto the next life challenge". It wasn't a battle that I was going to lose so, it wasn't a one day at a time type of thing. I left no doubt in my mind that I was going to kill the addiction for good and I did. Now it's done and not even a focus. I don't care to look back and think "it's been X years and XXX days since I quit - that isn't me. I prefer to block out the negativity. Focusing on something you already accomplished makes no sense.

Only look forward and move onto bigger and brighter things! =)

Certain thoughts like that can be "mind traps" where part of your mind is still held back and is connected to the addiction. The best thing to do is to completely un-attach yourself from it. Don't give it any power. Take control and move on.
  13. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Yes I think conforming to society is usually for people who are weak. The same as those who join a gang. They need that feeling of support to combat their emptiness. I don't know what your definition of "normal" is and I think everyone has their opinion but there is a definite pattern I see among most people. Almost drone like. And I believe it takes a person above that to conquer addiction. Good luck on conquering your next challenge.
  14. Lexi

Lexi Member

My definition of normal is simple. To me, a normal person listens and talks more then he or she thinks. They run on auto-pilot being a complete reaction to their environment. They lack self control and are mentally weak. They "blend in" as opposed to standing out.

Now a days there are plenty of medications you can take to become even more normal. The powers that be want non-thinking society and by the looks of things, they are doing a wonderful job in creating one. =/
  15. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think it's admirable that you were able to overcome your addiction, and I also think that positive thinking is a great way to keep yourself on the right path. The benefits of positive thinking are a wonderful thing.

However, I don't think it's fair, or accurate, to trivialize insanity or mental problems. There is no such thing as "the good kind of psychotic or insane", and for those that are suffering, truly suffering from psychotic episodes, and mental illness as a whole, it's borderline disrespectful to say so.

Don't get me wrong, your message is a great one. You decided you had enough, you changed your way of thinking, and you made a change for the better. That's admirable in my book. The truth is, not everyone is going to stand out in this world, and that's OK too. There is nothing wrong with being a well-adjusted "normal" person. As a matter of fact, if everyone stood out, that would be the new "normal". I don't think it's healthy to be like a drone, and just move with the herd, on autopilot, but having a happy, normal life, is nothing to balk at either.

It's real easy to say "think positive" or "think better thoughts" but showing the way, and how to do it, that's where the true help comes from. The idea of not wanting to fail, not failing, that's a great attitude to have, but you also need to be prepared on how to deal with failure, because it happens, despite our best efforts, sometimes people fail.
    notodrugs, xseadoggy and Joseph like this.
  16. xseadoggy

xseadoggy Member

I am very happy for you Lexi on your choice to not abuse alcohol or drugs, I only wish I had been able to make that choice at a young age. I commend you. I would though, be careful telling people that you are "cured". If you are a true alcoholic/addict there is no "cure", only recovery or remission from a chronic disease that you must consistently work at to stay in a good, healthy and happy program of sobriety. If there were a cure I am quite sure the pharmaceutical companies would have been all over that many many years ago. I completely agree that attitude is one of the cornerstones of healthy recovery. I wish you the best in your journey...
  17. kfontroy

This was a very true statement.
  18. kfontroy

I have no definition of normal. Who is to say what is normal or not? Everyone is unique.
  19. kfontroy

Yes I agree!
  20. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Wow! Nice Lexi! Everyone will benefit from your story. It is good you have made a determined choice and a big leap at that.

But maybe, what you mean by being psychotic in a good way is you think differently than ordinary-minded people or the conformists perhaps? Did you use it as simile? Because I don't know of any psychotic in a good way. It is a derangement, a mental condition where reality is absent. It is a struggle for those afflicted and their loved ones.

I had a counselee who suffered from a condition of the mind that was similar to psychosis. Believe me when I say it was a nightmare. It was the first time she came back to school after recovery. Just a few months into school, she got so stressed and she relapsed. She would send me SMS or call me up anytime she felt like it and she was totally incoherent and out of sync with what's happening. She was not herself at all. Her parents were crying. They didn't know what to do right then and there. They just thought it was over. But to see her like that again made them feel so hopeless. I cried myself because she was just so full of good plans for her life and her family. She was so excited about coming back to school. It was a pain to see her that way again. And I had just known her for months then. How much more her parents and loved ones?

I don't know how to say this in a much better way, but please be careful with your words. Think first before you say something.

I hear you though on your desire to inspire others. That's what others here I"m sure would like anyone to do. That's a noble and admirable thing for you to want to do. Just the one on being psychotic in a good way...
    Nick W. likes this.