An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How is meth like?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Elendil, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

Meth addiction is on a big rise all around the world, unfortunately. But why do people do meth? What kind of feeling does meth produce so that people want to try it over and over? I'm really curious.
  2. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Meth is a stimulant, so it produces an energetic type of euphoria. A lot of new users feel productive and happy while taking meth. It is also extremely addictive and produces powerful cravings as the drug wears off which leads people to take it over and over despite the risks and other negative side effects.
    Elendil likes this.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

From what I have observed and from what users of meth told me, it keeps them awake and active. Using meth allows them to think more clearly and that it has helped them during examinations and when they have projects that they have to finish. Of course, the downside is that, after the effects are gone, they crave for more. so they become dependent and addicted to it.
    Elendil likes this.
  4. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Essentially what is mentioned above. It's like most stimulants. You try it once at a party or as a result of peer-pressure or just because you are "experimenting" and then the amazing feeling you get leaves you wanting more. The abuser will have a mindset of "just one more" or keep reminding themselves of the "great effects" it has on them. Completely oblivious to the other, not so great effects that meth has.
    Elendil likes this.
  5. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

So essentially you do your homework like a boss and feel happy about doing it at the same time? Wow, I think I get why people would get attracted to a drug like that. :cool: It's just too bad that the cons of doing meth is that it essentially kills you.:(
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

They're always on the move. Just like a well-oiled machine. They can stay awake for more than two days. I have this friend who tinkered on all his broken electronics at home, and he was able to repair them. Then there was this other one who was able to create different flower patterns from paper (origami). When I asked him how he was able to do it, he told me that he has totally forgotten and that he can't repeat the same feat when he's sober.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I haven't tried it myself, but I know people who have and still do. It seems this drug is really hard to quit, I know a man in particular who has changed so much physically since he started using it. I think he died recently (not sure, I'm no longer friends with his sister), because I haven't seen him harassing people to give him money for his vice. It's so sad. He looked so energetic, but he could barely walk and I could barely understand a word of what he said... he looked like a walking corpse on red bull. HORRIBLE.
  8. Hannah

Hannah Member

I was, I guess for lack of a better expression, a regular taker for a few months. The weight loss was something I really enjoyed, as well as the energetic, confident euphoric feelings. After a few months (perhaps 4 or 5), the feelings are less happy but more general. Also buying it gets to be really frustrating at times. I weaned off easily, though will still take sporadically (once every second month perhaps?) if an occasion arrises. I don't think i ever classified myself as addicted... maybe I am just saying this to make myself feel better though.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Incredibly powerful and incredibly destructive stuff. If you think tobacco/nicotine, marijuana or cocaine is addictive, you don't know what addiction is until you've been addicted to meth. As mentioned above, energy, confidence and euphoria. It's really all about stimulation. Even listening to music whilst on meth is unbelievably stimulating, to the point where it actually gives you physical sensations throughout your body. However, the euphoric feelings soon catch up with you, especially when you stop taking it. Depression, paranoia, anxiety and restlessness begin to kick in and unless you keep your body topped up with meth, you begin to experience a physical crash which can be incredibly painful and potentially quite dangerous.
  10. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

It reminds me of the saying, "You don't get something for nothing." There is a price to pay and a very high one. It also destroys your teeth. Have you ever looked at what they call, "Meth Mouth." It's looks so bad. The teeth decays quickly and they can become cracked along with gum disease. meth teeth.jpg
    Mara likes this.
  11. yaitsjonny

yaitsjonny Member

Have you ever watched Breaking Bad? Taking meth as depicted in the show is pretty accurate. Users are given a quick burst of energy and as the high dies down, the user immediately craves more. Stimulates the body and mind in way similar to drinking 5 Red Bulls along with a shot of 5-Hour Energy. The aftermath is much worse though, as you feel completely broken down.
    Mara likes this.
  12. Deeishere

Wow, the way you describe it makes it sounds really scary. It's a wonder why one would want to get a burst of energy for a short moment then have to get more to get that same feeling. On top of it destroying the body.
  13. What is meth like? It sucks. in every horrible way. period. stay away from it
    Js1986 likes this.
  14. Vilmar2

Vilmar2 Member

No only sounds scary destroy families!!!!
  15. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It doesn't only affect the teeth. The person's appearance also changes drastically. That is why it is also called the ugly drug.

METH FACE.jpg

And aside from the physical effects, meth can also alter the person's behavior. It can even cause death. So stay away from it.
    Deeishere likes this.
  16. Deeishere

Oh my goodness! What a sad transformation. This picture should be posted in every doctor's office and public place. I remember listening to this lady teach on drugs and she was saying that a lot of people think that it won't happen to them. They feel they can take drugs and can quit anytime. They feel that they will not be that one who gets addicted and feel they can quit anytime. What they fail to realize is that none of us have supernatural bodies. None of us are above addiction. Like you stated, "Just stay away from it!"
    Mara likes this.
  17. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think those pics should be posted anywhere there is a prevlaence of meth users. Show them the real effects of using meth and maybe it will stop being a popular drug. I just don't know why anyone would want to ingest something that contains a variety of household chemicals anyway. It is nuts!
    Mara likes this.
  18. Mara

Mara Community Champion

That's the common mistake of anyone who is addicted to substances. They think that they can control it and that they can stop anytime. I admit that I've said that to myself a lot of times too. But stopping is easier said than done.
  19. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

It's a wonder people still take it, these images are really scary. Then again everyone comes with the same excuse and that is, it will never happen to me.
    Mara likes this.
  20. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

As someone that never used it, I always wonder the same thing. You watch things like Breaking Bad and wonder how anyone could ever get into it and stay hooked. It's scary how addictive it can be considering the awful effects it has on people's lives.