An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

how is meth manufactured?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Sparkster, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Is it the same process used to create amphetamine? I'm just wondering because meth labs are known to be extremely dangerous and run the risk of explosion. Is it the same for amphetamine?
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm not to about the science behind it, but if you want to see it being made, go check out the series Break Bad. They make a lot of Meth in that show. Tons!!
  3. Sparkster

Haha yeah, that's actually a series that I do want to watch. I've seen the trailers for it but I've never watched a single full episode of it. I hear it's on NetFlix, which I haven't got yet. If I watch it, I want to watch it from the beginning. What I do know is that there is very little meth in the UK but plenty of amphetamine.
  4. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Well according to recent trends, you have to find an out of the way place in Walmart...a bathroom will do... HAHA! Just kidding! I only know that meth is made up of some gross nastiness, like battery acid, that rational people do not put into their bodies.
  5. Sparkster

As far as I am aware, whilst these types of chemicals are indeed used to manufacture Meth, I don't think the finished product is supposed to contain any. It's just supposed to be used in the manufacturing process to separate certain chemicals and whatnot. However, the fact that it is even used in the first place tells you that there must be at least a trace amount in the finished product and the finished product depends on how well it was manufactured. It's very worrying. Who knows what chemicals are in there by the time it hits the streets?
  6. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

That's the point. I'm sure there are more than trace amounts of the poisons used in the finished product. It's like the Moonshiners who used old radiators to distill their whisky. It didn't end well.
  7. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Breaking Bad won't give you that much of a chemical savviness concerning the manufacturing of meth. You will only know that methylamine is giving a better purity is all. :)
    If you want to know, I advise you do a quick Google search for it.
  8. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

My mom and dad were meth users. My husband was also hooked for a moment in time. Watching breaking bad was/is hard for me. I only made it through 3 episodes on Netflix. As interesting and intriguing as people found that show it is hard for me. I watched some documentaries on meth as well and I cringe the entire time. Watching the reality of it and the thought of my loved ones using such a harmful drug is almost too hard for me to bear.
  9. Sparkster

No, I don't expect it will. I have done a Google search and have seen several different ways being described and all sorts of crazy substances being used. What I really should have asked is "how is amphetamine made?" rather than "how is meth made?". What I'm really curious about is how similar producing amphetamine is to producing meth. Does producing amphetamine bear the same dangers and involve the same chemicals? The reason I wonder is because there is so much amphetamine in the UK and hardly any meth at all.
  10. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I read from Natural News that the world's meths are manufactured in China . The question is, how do they get in the U.S.? Yeah, what are its (Methampethamine) generic pharma names?
  11. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I guess I'll ask the local crack dealer :p
    Just kidding. It's a long kept secret, otherwise there would be news of daily explosions in the neighborhood.
  12. estalucy

estalucy Member

The base ingredient for meth is pseudo ephedrine which is the main ingredient in flu tablets like Sudafed. In the UK you are limited to behind the counter and you can only buy one packet at a time. Most pseudoephedrine is smuggled in from China and Thailand. It's a stimulant, an ex boyfriend was in the RAF and he was done long shifts and training ato the gym alot and he ended up using pseudoephedrine to keep him awake and focused and to keep his energy up. Obviously he wasn't smoking meth, but he was taking the base ingredient of meth in pill form. He managed to get it sent to him from the Internet! ?! It effected his heart rate and he ended up quite aggressive which was not like him. I remember when I had a bad cold and awful congestion and stupidly forgot what Sudafed contained, took it at bedtime and literally did not get ANY sleep at all that night. Heart was pounding, restless just wide awake all night and I had work the next day!