An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How long after you take coke is it still damaging for your body and mind?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by colistin, Jun 28, 2015.

1. colistin

colistin Member

Whilst I only take coke very occasionally nowadays, I am constantly reminded by my heart what it felt like to take it. I read somewhere that when a person thinks of coke, the rhythm of their heartbeat changes and since then, I have been monitoring my rhythm and any other signs that the coke might have disrupted my insides which is probably not a good way to be looking at it.
    I'm sure most of these will be mental, but is that the most damaging? Because there is a strong connection between brain and heart, albeit subconscious, and I'm slightly worried that I am thinking about it too much, or worse, something did go wrong. But generally because on two occasions I took too much and will probably never forget that experience because of it. I understand that some people are doing maybe 4 times the amount that I did but I can't help noticing every tiny jump my heart makes now. I guess it's the feeling that I have lost some control over this that I used to have.
    I'd welcome any thoughts on this for those of you who have been through a similar scare or who don't consider it an issue.
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

So, is your problem the fact that you are constantly being reminded by your heart that you should take coke, or...? If this is the issue, it's easy to get rid of it, to be honest. You must seek professional therapy. Other than this, you can't do it by yourself. Well, you could, but do you really want to spend countless hours?
  3. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

@colistin: You may be suffering substance-induced anxiety disorder. Your symptoms could be phobic or obsessive and compulsive. You'll experience these symptoms as long as you use the substance. You need to evolve a strategy to taper off your drug addiction. Meeting your psychiatrist is half the job done.
  4. colistin

colistin Member

Yeh I'm not actually an addict guys. And no that's not some denial manoeuvre the last time I took coke was months ago. Right after an incident when I took too much of the drug I felt that something in my body changed. Whilst probably mental, I'm worried that my obsessive monitoring of my heart could be damaging or worse...my heart and my internal system was damaged by it. What are the things that could go wrong after taking too much?
  5. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

Anything you do can have a permanent effect on your system if you're not careful. Although with cocaine the effects only last a few hours MAX, so your lucky that the damage wasn't extended. I would think that if you treat your body very well you shouldn't get any problems, the main issues people run into when facing cocaine OD is heart attack. If you make sure your blood vessels are dilated on a regular basis by regular exercise, and also that you eat a diet low in animal cholesterol (preferably vegan), you are at a much lower risk of damaging yourself whilst taking cocaine.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think you are stuck in a vicious circle. You are worrying that you might have damaged your heart so you get anxious. Now a pounding heartbeat is a classic symptom of anxiety. Of course, you are mistaking this for a symptom of damage and getting even more worried. There's a pattern emerging.

The best thing you could do for yourself is to go and get a healthcheck. Have a doctor reassure you that your heart is, in fact, perfectly fine (and I'm willing to put money on the fact that it is) and then try and work through your anxious feelings with a professional.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

I don't think there's any real damage. The brain is a powerful thing. If you think about sex, you might get an erection. If you thingk about food, your stomach might start making noises, and so on. Coke accelerates your heartbeat. Think about coke and your heart starts pounding. It's mental, don't worry.
    Saintsfan1885 likes this.
  8. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

9. nebula

nebula Member

I used to be addicted to cocaine. I eventually went to a rehab center and while I was there I had a pretty scary night. One night I had a heart palpitation. I immediately started to think about cocaine and how I was worried I did serious damage to my heart! The palpitations started happening over and over. Finally I ended up in the E.R. Turns out my heart was totally fine. It was anxiety! I really think what you're describing is something similar. One small thing is setting off a huge mental reaction.
    Saintsfan1885 likes this.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is very interesting what you are saying. It sounds like a real scam how it sucks you in and locks you down. Mind, heart and addiction to this powder. Almost like there is a chemical add-in that seals the deal on the addiction. I don't personally understand the fascination. I would imagine it has to do with what is in it and specifics about the kind that you start off with. Whether or not it is laced with anything.
    Hands down it stays in your body decades. The only way is to detoxify it out. It will permeate in your cells and organs like a lingering sphinx waiting to grab you. Every memory and incident associated with the use of this will resurface when triggered because the residual is there. This is part of why people go back to it. Even if you hear or see things that remind of a time you did it. Bingo you will want it. Even if you are not consciously aware your body, cells, and mind will make you desire this. So it makes sense that the heart would race at the thought of it. Sad cause your heart should be racing at the idea of someone you love or desire, not a drug.
    This means your heart, which is an organ, has traces of that cocaine you did. The brain can incubate this residual up to 3 or 4 years. In other words, not effect you in anyway. No desire or urge whatsoever. However, when that time comes it may effect you in another way. It might not make you want cocaine. It might make you irrational and do wild things. Like what cocaine does to you when you do it. It is a Shanghai surprise as with marijuana.