An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How long before nicotine leaves the body...

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by MrsJones, Feb 12, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I have been reading articles about smoking and smoking cessation programs that are available. This interested me due to a survey that I recently participated in. I asked myself just what does these medicines, gums, patches, etc. do?

I found this article which stated that many believe that it takes 72 hours for nicotine to leave your body when in actuality it can take weeks. The less you smoke the nicotine (carbon dioxide) is replaced by oxygen. It's a slow process especially if you have smoked for a long period of time. Through this process your body begins to heal.

So my thought on this is if you're looking to quit your method of cessation should not contain any nicotine at all. Nicotine free products if you are going to quit on your own. Of course you should always consult a physician to see which method will be best for you whether cold turkey or a cessation program which nicotine gradually decreases in your body.

If you are interested in finding out more just google the title of this thread or this article.

www.med-health.net/How-Long-Does-It-Take-for-Nicotine-to.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Did you just call nicotine carbon monoxide?
  3. MrsJones

I meant carbon dioxide. Thanks.
  4. Rob93FL

5. MrsJones

I stand corrected. Thank you. Rob93Fl

Maybe not nicotine but cigarettes produce carbon monoxide while it is burning.

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced from the incomplete burning of virtually any combustible product. It may accumulate indoors as a result of tobacco smoking, poorly ventilated appliances, and attached garages.

Carbon Monoxide enters the blood from the lungs and combines with hemoglobin, blocking the blood's ability to carry oxygen to body cells. Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide exposure may mimic influenza and include fatigue, headache, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, mental confusion, and rapid heart rate. Depending on the level of exposure, Carbon Monoxide can be immediately fatal. Long-term, low-level exposure to Carbon Monoxide by pregnant women have the potential to injure the developing fetus.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is a small part of the air we breathe. There are many sources of Carbon Monoxide such as incinerators, car exhaust and gas furnaces.

When the level of CO in your blood increases, the ability of your blood to carry oxygen is decreased. It is harmful to your body at any level and it can kill you. Long-term exposure at lower levels can lead to heart disease.

www.carbonmonoxidekills.com/15/carbon_monoxide_cigarettes
  6. Rob93FL

We should really be careful about the accuracy of the information that we spread. How on Earth are we supposed to correctly educate others if people are claiming absurdly wrong things like nicotine being the same as carbon dioxide/monoxide? Drugs are the last thing you want to spread inaccurate information about. While this time it wasn't harmful, misinformation about drugs can be very harmful, which is exactly what we're trying to prevent. Misinformation is counterproductive to everything this forum is about.

As a side note, you might want to give credit to the website(s) you copied your last post from.
  7. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I think that it takes about 72 hours for the nicotine to leave your system and body. Like MrsJones said (paraphrased); the less you inhale the smoke or rather smoke cigarettes the more oxygen you get in your lungs replacing the nicotine and because the body is such an amazing object... it starts with repairing the damage that was done to your lungs.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  8. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

There is an app in the google play store (it is there on the apple store too) called quit now (and quit now pro which is a paid app). When you input the date you quit into that, there are milestones which it will keep notifying you.
    20 minutes - Your blood pressure, pulse rate and the temperature of your hands and feet have returned to normal.
    8 hours - Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream has fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.75% reduction.
    12 hours - Your blood oxygen level has increased to normal. Carbon monoxide levels have dropped to normal.
    To read more go to http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html
    MrsJones likes this.
  9. MrsJones

That is an excellent video!! It's really straightforward and no beat around the bush about it. Thank you Beautyspin. It is a motivation for me to buckle down and quit smoking.
  10. elles-belles

Alright, that sounds like an awesome app! Can one download it on a mobile phone as well?
    The video does hit home, I definitely agree with MrsJones! Thanks for the share.
  11. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

Yes. you can download the video to your mobile phone (there is a free and a paid app for both iOS and Android). You still need to have the willpower to quit and you are the one that ultimately needs to do it but you will get motivation and help.
    MrsJones likes this.
  12. Rob93FL

I didn't say that.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

According to studies, nicotine remains in one's body for a minimum of 24 hours and a maximum of 72 hours (depending on the amount of nicotine in your body). However, if you're a chainsmoker, you might not be able to get rid of nicotine that easily. It will take two to three weeks along with putting a total end to your smoking habit.
  14. elles-belles

Right, sorry about that Rob, I was meant to say like MrsJones said! You obviously didn't say much in terms of how long it actually lasts in the body or even about oxygen being replaced for that matter. It really was just a case of the wrong name being put in my comment!
  15. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I love trying new apps I'll have to check this one out. I have seen the stop smoking apps in the past, but this sounds even better has more features thanks for sharing.