An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How long did it take you to get accustomed to the taste of alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by BrucePenningham, Aug 29, 2015.

1. I remember when I first drank alcohol. It was so bitter and I wondered what everybody thinks drinking that stuff. Then after a few uphill sips, it hit me. My face grew numb and was as if there was a very thin plastic membrane covered on my facial skin. In no time, I felt relaxed and generally great. The alcohol was still bitter, but I had a reason to finish the bottle, and I did.

I don't know at what point things changed, but today, I actually think what I called bitter earlier on is actually sweet. (I know I am just used to the taste now)

What was your experience with your first bottle?
  2. henry

henry Community Champion

You never do. Alcohol always taste like crap, unless you like those kinds of delicate colorful sweet drinks. But if you're like me, and you like your drinks on the rocks, you will always make more faces than Jim Carrey when you take the first sip.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  3. sofacat

sofacat Member

In my opinion, if you're drinking for the right reasons, alcohol should taste good. Or at least drinking it should be a pleasant experience. When I was a teenager first experimenting with alcohol, I drank to get drunk, or because everyone else was doing it. The stuff I was drinking was very low quality and bought/made by kids who also had no idea what they were doing. Now I only drink things I like the taste of, and I don't drink bad quality things just to get drunk.
  4. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I still can't stand the taste of beer. I think it just tastes bitter and disgusting. I don't get how some people can drink multiple beers every single day. I'm not a serious drinker, though, so I stick to my rum & coke or some type of girly fruity drink haha.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I was a teenager I didn't like the taste of it, but everyone around me was drinking so I thought I had a problem. Well, that wasn't really the case (which I later discovered) but I still drank just to not feel the odd one out. It was pretty weird, but I was just drinking to get drunk. I didn't like the taste, I liked the aftermath.
  6. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I first had a light beer when I was 14 and I liked it instantly! My friends tried some too (we were at my friend's family's house for New Years Eve) but they didn't like it at all. I had two that night but it was over the course of many hours. I've never really enjoyed wine though.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

The first time I had a drink of alcohol, it really tasted bitter and sort of spicy to me. I really don't know why but that's what I remember. Anyway, I was able to get used to the taste anyway. It just took me three shots before I became immune to its bitterness. :)
  8. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I don't think you ever really enjoy the taste of it as such - rather, you just enjoy the effects that it has, and while you're drinking it you enjoy the anticipation of the effects. The stronger the alcohol, the more quickly it can get you drunk and this means that you can put up with the taste for that reason. It is good that most alcohol tastes so disgusting, though, as it should hopefully mean that fewer people develop a problem with it in the future!
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

To be honest, I never really got accustomed to its taste. I have had a few drinks over a few years but it had always tasted bitter for me. I never really understood why people liked alcohol. Well, my husband explained to me that it is not the drinking part that he enjoys but the people he is with. Drinking alcohol becomes enjoyable when you are with people you like. That is his explanation anyway.
  10. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

All alcohol tastes similar to me, but you get used to the taste to the point where you can enjoy a beer if you're in the right situation. Of course, many people don't enjoy their alcohol's taste until they've become intoxicated, and that's when problems can start to show their ugly heads. I know plenty of people that hate the taste of alcohol, but they love the stuff after having one too many drinks.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I never thought alcohol was bitter, lol. Only beer. I hate the taste of beer, it's so bitter, but some people seem to love it. I just can't stand that taste, I sometimes wonder if the taste of beer is more of an acquired taste? I always preferred whiskey or vodka... I drank tequila, but always with grapefruit soda. I also liked cocktails, maybe because they contained loads of sugar. It didn't take me long at all to get used to that taste.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

First experience. My mother probably put it in my bottle when I was an infant. She is as twisted as they come. I was probably 6 or 7 that I actually first remember and I loved it. I know she gave it to us when we were really small. She didn't want to deal with us in any way. Too busy with her trashy romance novels and television. She'd rather have us sedated.
    Fourteen years old I got polluted with my cousin at a family christmas party. They didn't care. Wild childhood like we might as well have been in a jungle. Go outside and play in traffic barefoot why don't you. I guess they figured they wanted us to be like them. Drunk, that would be easier. Funny neither one of us are and they still drink. Probably because we grew up and they didn't.
  13. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Alcohol is an aquired taste for most people. I really only like wine, rum, and vodka to this day. I personally hate the taste of beer and whiskey and won't go near either of them. Any hard alcohol has to be mixed, and I only drink it once in a while. I am personally more of a wine person because I do not get too drunk and it tastes a little fruity.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I always find the first sip still makes my face prune up. After the first sip I'm use to the taste and enjoy it. I started to like the taste a bit when I was around 19. Before that I would just usually force the drink down. There is still some drinks I don't like the taste of. I think it will always be that way though.
  15. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think I always thought alcohol tasted OK. I remember as a young child drinking sips out of my neighbor's leftover beer bottle and thinking it tasted alright. Real alcohol as in hard liquor I am not sure. I think most people start out with mixed drinks that you can customize to your liking. Most aren't that strong.
  16. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I enjoy a cold beer every now and then but as far as other alcohol goes I can't stand the taste of any of it. It seems no matter what I mix it with or how weak I mix it, it still has an awful taste. I have never been a wine drinker. I have tried many but have never found any that appeal to me. I would much prefer an ice cold glass of water then any alcohol beverage!
  17. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I don't think it's necessarily right to compare enjoying the taste of something like lemonade with the taste of something like a Scotch on the rocks. There are some drinks that are great for chugging when you're super thirsty, and other drinks that are meant to be sipped and appreciated more slowly. I would never pour a tall glass of whiskey on ice and chug it like I would some iced tea.

Even when I am drinking strong liquors on the rocks, I will wait a bit for the liquor to get diluted by the ice and then take small sips, enjoying the aroma and the slight burn of the alcohol. Alcohol, even when used in cooking, actually enhances certain flavors. I forget the specifics of how it works, but basically the dissipating alcohol carries flavor compounds and scents up to your nose - and smells are a great portion of what affects how we taste something.

In fact when I was in my 20's and hanging out with friends, I would purposefully buy myself a bottle of something like Johnny Walker scotch, because none of my other friends liked it, so I didn't have to worry about the moochers helping themselves to my stuff in their cocktails. If I brought something like Rum or Vodka it would be gone in less than an hour, but when I brought Scotch it would last through the night.
  18. goldenmonkey

goldenmonkey Member

The first drink I had was 7Up and vodka, so that tasted pretty good to 15 year old me. We used to always drink soda with booze in it, and the taste never bothered me, unfortunately. My family has a lot of boozers in it so I took to it much too easily.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Have to agree with this. The only time I never winced was when the drinks were so fruity and sugary that you wouldn't have even known they had alcohol content. Anything else straight always caused some crazy facial reactions from me until I was already drunk. Then I didn't notice the taste so much.
    henry likes this.
  20. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I was another one who never really got used to straight alcohol. It always had to have a mixer at least, and even then it was a taste I had to acquire. Fruity mixed drinks were my kryptonite, especially because sometimes I wouldn’t even be aware of how drunk I really was. Dangerous stuff.
    henry likes this.