An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How long does drug addiction treatment usually last?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Lanny, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Lanny

Lanny Member

Drug addiction treatment might take months or years to be successfully recovered. Some people might find it easier while others don't, depending on their background or self confidence. Also, some people has to start allover. Let me know what you think... How long does it usually last?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

How long treatment lasts would depend on numerous factors:

How long has the addict been using the drug?
    How dependent are they on the substance that has been abused?
    Their attitude?
    Etc.

So treatment would take anywhere between months and years but even then, since there's always a risk of the addict having a relapse, I'd say recovery is a life-time thing.
    MrsJones likes this.
  3. Lanny

Lanny Member

I think you are right. The length of time for addiction treatment varies depending upon the intensity of your addiction. While some people are able to work on their recoveries using a combination of counseling and group meetings, others must turn to longer and more extensive inpatient treatment programs.
  4. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

Recovery is a lifelong process. Sure, rehab or medications may only last for days/months/years, but there is always the scary chance of relapsing.
    MrsJones likes this.
  5. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

It is true what I've read in other people's comments on the site, it really depends on many different factors. I think a lot of it would really depend on the person, and how committed they are in been rehabilitated. Drug rehab can be very difficult for me long term addicted person. In some cases different treatment can be used in drug rehab, such as medicine, and different daily routines.
  6. Lanny

Lanny Member

Speaking of relapsing, it should not be viewed as failure. Instead, it should be seen as an obstacle to overcome on one's lifelong journey to sobriety. Relapse is an opportunity to reassess one's path and get back into a program that offers the support and help needed to maintain sobriety.
    MrsJones likes this.
  7. I heard one addict say that you can never be fully treated from an addiction. It has become a life-long sentence and you always have to be on guard to prevent yourself from falling back into the trap of drug abuse. You have to watch how you spend your time and the kind of people you spend time with. The key is to always be in control
    MrsJones likes this.
  8. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

I agree with you that it depends on the person. It kind of really depends on how the person feels about treatment. If they were forced then it is going to take a very long time along with many episodes of relapses. If the person went into treatment because they really wanted to quit then it could take a week. It really just depends on how determined a person is. It will always be a battle though once they quit.
    MrsJones likes this.
  9. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

I really think this would depend on yourself and how long you wanted it to last. I personally think there will always be a battle inside yourself after treatment. I find surrounding myself with people what I can count on and a good environment. This seems to help out more than you would think, I do know for fact if you are around people that are around drugs you will give in to
  10. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Good question, lanny.
    I wish there was a clear answer for it. :)

Truth is, there's no magic number. Some people begin the process of recovery without going to rehab at all. Others (like me) wind up in and out of rehab facilities more than they can count before they're willing to do what it takes to recover. A treatment center is a great start. It's a safe environment where we can medically detox, get an education about the nature of our disease and begin to build some coping skills. The real work happens when we leave.
    MrsJones likes this.
  11. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

It's all based on the treatment method and person. Some treatment methods do not work for some yet work for others. The person has to really be serious about their rehabilitation and whether or not they are still being exposed to the addiction or not on a consistent basis while rehabilitating (like you don't want to be around smokers when trying to quit smoking). Stress can play a part also. A person who lives in a very stressful environment, like being homeless, would take longer then someone who is not dealing with a lot of stress.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Completing treatment centers does not mean that the treatment to be clean is over. If anything they have just given you the very first steps in the right direction. What happens after the treatment center will make you or break you. Relapse happens why you are back home and you have bad influences.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am also curious to know about this since I can hear on the news that some just stay on a rehab for days while others stay on for months. I think if they can already see a person recovered or changed, then the treatment could be lessen until finally it will not be necessary anymore.
  14. StillFighting

StillFighting Member

Just like everybody else has agreed on, there is no certain amount of time to be recovered. It is a lifelong process, but the actual time for someone to be able to remain clean on their own certainly depends on that person. I think the benefit of a longer treatment program is that it allows the addict not only time to medically detox, but a good program will continue to educate them on what they need to stay sober in the "real world," and then help them transition there. For example, I think one of the VA rehab programs is awesome because you progress through the program in stages, with each stage giving you more independence and getting you closer to being independent, like helping you get a job and housing, but you check in each night, have curfews, etc. I think another benefit of longer treatment is the ability to form relationships with others in your situation and cheering each other on, as well as learning from each other's successes and failures. Even after getting out of treatment, it seems that having an understanding and non-judgmental support system is critical to maintaining sobriety.
  15. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

Some people will be in recovery their whole lives. It is a process.
  16. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

There are thousands of treatment plans, programs and facilities around the country and they all vary in length and effectiveness - how long a successful treatment takes often depends on the individual addict. The harder they work the faster they will be able to put what they learn into practice -- but this is a disease remember -- there is no 'cure' it's a day by day struggle and that treatment goes on long beyond what they receive in the facility.
    MrsJones likes this.
  17. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

The substance you are addicted to will usually determine how long the initial treatment will last. For many drugs, it is more a psychological process that must be overcome. For other addictions, it is a biochemical reaction that must be overcome.
  18. mikeqin

mikeqin Member

Individuals progress through drug addiction treatment at various rates, so there is no predetermined length of treatment. However, research has shown unequivocally that good outcomes are contingent on adequate treatment length. Generally, for residential or outpatient treatment, participation for less than 90 days is of limited effectiveness, and treatment lasting significantly longer is recommended for maintaining positive outcomes. For methadone maintenance, 12 months is considered the minimum, and some opioid-addicted individuals continue to benefit from methadone maintenance for many years