An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Long Does the Relapse Anxiety Last During Withdrawal?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by romananthonysmama, Feb 1, 2015.

1. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

I have a friend whose been prescribed Xanax for years to treat anxiety. The biggest stress factor when it comes to going off of it, is the fear of relapse anxiety. I've read articles online about how relapse anxiety is a lot worse than the initial anxiety the patient is trying to treat, because the dramatic effect of going from being on Xanax, to the initial anxious state makes it ten times worse.

When weaning off or stopping Xanax cold turkey, how long does the relapse anxiety last? If you wean off of it (of course under a doctor's orders), is their less anxiety as opposed to when you go off cold turkey? Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with the relapse anxiety after weaning or stopping? Thank you in advanced.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

A quick google search and I found out acute withdrawal symptoms last up to three months. I'm going to have to assume that anything experienced after that would depend on the individual. Also, as with any drug, weaning off of Xanax would make the withdrawal more mild, but it would take longer to be done with it. So over the course of any given day while weaning off of Xanax, yes, there would presumably be less anxiety experienced.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The withdrawal process is far easier if you titrate your dosage down slowly. Doctors recommend doing this precisely to reduce withdrawal symptoms. Stopping cold turkey is not to be recommended at all.
    Lostboy8731 likes this.