An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How long have you been free from the pipe?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by TristanDH, Jul 12, 2015.

1. TristanDH

TristanDH Member

I have a friend that was a crack addict eight years ago. After all these years of treatment his family thinks he relapsed, because of his new (old) behavior. They are suffering a lot. Is it possible to live a life completely away from the pipe? How can they deal with the constant fear of it happening again?

Peace out, to everybody in the same struggle!
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I personally wasn't a crack addict, but I can recall having some friends who were addicts, indeed. It's not easy to stay away from, but hey, it's not impossible to do, either. It all comes down to your power of will, to be honest, and I'm sure most would agree with me.
    kjones likes this.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Thankfully, I never tried crack. But I've been cocaine free for almost nine years now. Whilst a lot of it hangs on willpower, it's also important to address the issues that led to you using in the first place. Without resolving these, your chances of relapse are much higher.
    kjones likes this.
  4. kjones

kjones Member

I think as long as a person is struggling with their recovery with any substance, they are prone to go back to the pipe. I know somebody who does not prefer the pipe, but will do it on occasion when there is nothing else he can get his hands on. This same person was on it really bad - for about two years straight about a decade ago. So that's why I think there's a chance for the relapse when things are not running smooth elsewhere in the person's life. This is just my opinion and observation. I am not trying to be mean or act like I know it all - I really wish I DID know what to do to help fix the drug issues. I believe we are ALL touched by these demons in some manner. It's sad, but I think we should keep hoping for brighter days. Sometimes it is impossible to get positive.
  5. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I wasn't a crack addict, but I did have a period of pretty heavy use. I haven't touched cocaine of any sort in about 2 years. At the worst, I was using crack or cocaine probably 3-4x a week.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Crack cocaine is incredibly addictive, almost instantly, and is one of the most difficult addictions to quit. Thankfully I was only addicted to it for three months and in all honesty those three months of my life were probably the worst experience I have been through (aside from psychological abuse). My brother in law, however, has been on and off crack for over ten years now. With crack you get incredibly intense long lasting cravings, much more intense than cravings for nicotine, which can go on and on for years. The longer you go without the more intense it seems to become. I knew that if I didn't force myself through the pain then my life and mind would fall apart. I think the worst part about crack addiction is the things you find yourself thinking when you're desperate for more. I found myself having some very scary thoughts.
  7. shea lynn

shea lynn Member

Today is my 2nd day off crack cocaine. I'm starting to feel the effects. What can I do
  8. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

I was addicted to crack on and off for, God, too long. It must be at least six years if you put all the times together. Before crack, I was addicted to injecting powder cocaine. Funny thing is, people who smoke crack, look down on people who inject cocaine, but not so much on people who inject heroin, But still, among non-intravenous users, needle use is looked down on. I find it funny that there is actually a hierarchy of evils in the addicted community. If you ask me, its all the same thing if you are addicted to it. What difference does it make what the substance is and how you are abusing it? Doesn't it all end the same way, with the addicted person using up all their money, selling all their material possessions to feed their addiction, losing their friends, and alienating their family? The fact that we try to reconcile our addictions by comparing ours to one we can point to and cal worse, is an ironic twist on a culturally shame filled problem. Thank God I have found my way clear of it now for just over two years. I have been clean from cocaine and crack before though, as I've already said, but the last time I got started on it again, marks the longest period of time I did it destructively and continually. Before I always burned out after about 4 months. My body and mind just wouldn't be able to withstand it anymore and I would create a crisis in my life in order to get help. Then I would manage for up to a year and the cycle would repeat itself. I was clean from cocaine for a few years when I had my first two children, and then again when I had my youngest, but this is the first time I have been clean from it continually without the reason behind my quitting and staying abstinent, being my children. For this reason I have hope that this will be the time when I don't go back to it. For the first time in my history of stopping using cocaine, I haven't had frequent using dreams or cravings to do it. Even when the occasional dream surfaces, I am not instantly taken by a severe craving to use as I used to be when I woke up from a realistic using dream.
    I'm not really sure how the desire to use it was so completely extinguished but I sure am grateful for it. It has to be the most nightmarish drug I have ever encountered, its grip on me was so strong I did things I look back on and can't believe that it was me doing it. I know that part of the reason I stopped was because the crack stopped working for me. Whatever was being sold at the end couldn't have had much cocaine in it if any but I'm not complaining. I'd almost like to write a thank you note to the people who had a hand in buffing it down so bad because if it had stayed any good I might still be hooked on it. Even when I have the thought that maybe its changed and maybe its good again, I am strong enough now to know that I don't want to know. If I did try it and it was bad, well that's just a waste of money and time, and if I tried it and it was good, it would never end again until it killed me. So I just don't try it. Simple. Most days I don't even think about it. I hope to god that people who haven't tried it don't. Its just not worth it.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have heard of successful cases, but crack is a tough addiction to beat. The addict in question needs to really want to quit that vice, if he or she don't really feel the need for things to change, then it's very hard they can live an addiction-free life. I feel so sorry for those who smoke crack... I've seen what crack does to their teeth.
  10. Proudmomma

Proudmomma Active Contributor

Yes it's extremely possible to stay away from the pipe. Hun I've been clean from crack/heroin for a little over 5 years. You have to tell him to keep himself busy, legally of course. I've seen ppl try to stay clean by selling drugs. Moronic bur they used the excuse that they were trying to stay busy. No he has to stay busy in positI've ways. Ie: a new job, a hobby, na, aa, etc. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to message me and I will help in any way I can.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've tried cocaine in the past many times but never tried crack. The last time I had cocaine though is around five years ago, and while I wasn't necessarily addicted to it, it was becoming an issue I had to deal with before it did get out of hand.
    Proudmomma likes this.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No. I have never tried crack before, and I don't think I would be using it in the future. Well, anyone could relapse. That's why former addicts should never be too complacent. They should actually still keep themselves motivated and focused about recovery even after treatment.
    Proudmomma likes this.
  13. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I was never a constant user but I used in a few yearly binges between the years of 2006 and 2013. I haven't used since September of 2013. It's a crazy drug to try to get away from, even for someone who wasn't really an addict or for whom it wasn't their drug of choice. I will still get cravings for it sometimes, even to the point of having the taste in my mouth like I just smoked.