An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How long have you been smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Rosyrain, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I smoked for about 15 years before I finally gave up the habit. I tried before in the past, but was not committed. It gets harder to do the more years you smoke. How many years has it been for you?
  2. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

Well, I started when I was 22, I am now 48. Even I have tried to quit in the past for upto 40 days at a time a couple of times. I was committed for the duration I was trying to quit. Had no trouble too as I had no physical withdrawal symptoms. Just mostly psychological. I smoke about 5 per day max and none on the weekends. I feel as if I will miss something if I do not smoke so that is the major problem with me. Hopefully I can do it some day.
  3. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

I started smoking when I was 15 and now I'm 26 and still smoking, which means it's bean 11 years. Every 3 years or so I stop smoking for a month, just to see how it affects me and I have to admit that I clearly feel the addiction. I smoke around 20 cigarettes a day so it isn't really a surprise that I would feel the difference. I think the hardest thing when quitting is simply the motivation, since it's a test of discipline.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Well the good news is that after a couple of weeks you kind of forget about smoking as a routine you used to have. You just have to make it to that point. I now look forward to my morning mocha and that is my treat for not smoking. The hardest time for me is in the morning. After I get passed the morning hours, the rest of the day is a breeze.
  5. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I can totally dig what you feel but seeing your age, I think you should try harder and/or take professional help or counselling. You have a lot of life ahead of you and the actual effects of smoking will not totally be apparent to you for another 10 to 15 years depending on how active you are now so I hope you all the success.
  6. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I have never smoked myself, but almost everyone I know does. My wife is 32 and has smoked since she was thirteen. My mom is sixty and smoked from fourteen until she started vamping two years ago. I can't even imagine how hard it must be for people. Mom explained it like trying to go without food. I have dieted a lot in my life, so I can relate to that. Stay strong!
  7. Rub

Rub Member

I'd been smoking for 7-8 years. I gave up that bad habit because my lungs felt sick. At the end, smoking didn't seem so enjoyable as it was at the beginning. I felt more like being a slave as I couldn't give it up.
  8. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I was a smoker for about 2-3 years before I decided to quit. I gave up smoking in exchange for vaping, and it was the best thing that I could've done for myself. I feel a lot healthier and I'm not as sluggish as I use to be. I think vaping will help a lot of people get off of cigarettes in the future.
  9. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

I have smoked since I was 13-14 years old, and keep doing it for almost 20 years (now iI'm 30 years old, and very soon I'll be 31).
    This last months I'm trying to smoke less, but it's very hard when you have the habit xS
  10. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

I smoked for one year, I stopped an year back. I quit because I saw how much heart problems my dad had due to chain smoking and how much my family had to suffer because of that. But to be quite honest and undiplomatic, smoking was never an addiction. I just did it when I was with friends. Sometimes when I was depressed. But once I quit, I never relapsed. Now I even try to stay away from passive smoking. Hope you guys also have some sort of success stories. Best of luck :D
  11. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I smoked for about eight years before I decided to quit and switch over to vaping. I know that that's not as long as some people, but it felt like a really long time to me. I feel a lot better since I stopped smoking cigarettes as well. My body feels cleaner.
  12. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I started when I was in high school so it was about 8 years ago. My friends were the ones who got me into it and I thought smoking was manly and cool back then (I have tobacco companies and Hollywood movies to blame about this). I quickly picked up the habit of smoking and as the result my body was skinny during my high school and college years.

Now, I had given up the habit of smoking as I cannot find any enjoyment in smoking anymore. I still smoke when I go out with my friends because I am still struggling with saying no peer pressure but it's never more than one pack per month. I do notice that I gained a lot of weight partly because I substitute food for tobacco cravings and developed a habit for snacking instead.
  13. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I'd say I'm one of the younger ones in this thread. My first smoke was probably around eight years ago, but I've only been an everyday smoker for maybe five or six years now. In the past year or two there have been maybe five periods where I had quit smoking for anywhere between two days to two weeks at a time.

A lot of people tell me to quit well I'm ahead. But hell, even after one year of smoking, are you really ahead? If you've been using a drug all day, every day for a year straight, chances are you're already pretty deep down that hole.
  14. Parassd

@bsthebenster
    You start thinking like that and you'll be so deep down that hole that the exit above you would be the size of a pinhead. Don't push yourself down there. It's never too late to make a change for the better
  15. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Thanks. I've been doing my best to stay at least on the outer rim of the hole. Over the past few months I've gone from maybe 30 cigarettes a day down for 6 or 7. My lungs are already feeling better and each day it gets a little easier to wait a little longer between each half cigarette.
  16. Parassd

There you go! At least that's a start! But try not to relapse this time bud. There are people who used to smoke two packets a day but now they don't even hold a cigarette. You can do it too. Just stay motivated. Try to quit. It's the best for you, your family and the people around you.
  17. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

I've been smoking for a little less than four years now. I've been up and down for the past six months trying to quit. It was weird because I decided to make the change when I was averaging two packs a day. So I started cutting down-and I cut down a lot! Almost to one a day. Once I reached that point, though, I had days where I would smoke one or two, days where I would smoke none, and days where I would smoke an entire pack. I'm still at that point and am trying really hard to get it back to a consistent, LOW, amount so that I can eventually just stop altogether. I'm finding a lot of support on this site, which is good, because now I have it coming in from people who have been/are in my shoes on line, the same from people in my life, and from people who have never picked one up.
  18. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

About five years. I started relatively young (about fourteen) and still regret that decision.
  19. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Ugh... I started when I was 12. Since I really feel old just thinking about that, we'll just say it's been over 30 years and leave it at that. It makes me sad to admit it. I did quit once for over a year when I was 18, but when my best friend was killed in a motorcycle accident, I started again. I wish I wouldn't have done so.
  20. Parassd

It's okay to have a relapse when you're depressed. But you have to make that decision to leave it. For your own good. Do your best friend a favour, mate. Try and quit. He wouldn't want to see you any soon whereever he is, God bless his soul.