An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How long is it possible to stay?

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by Starlight, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Starlight

Starlight Member

How long is it possible to stay in sober living homes? When is it deemed acceptable to return to normal life? Will they just "throw" you out after a certain period of time?

I know some people take longer to kick their addiction. Not everyone is the same. Some people need more time, love, care and patience. Does every patient get the same schedule, regardless of their history or mental health? I hope not...
  2. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

It really depends on the home. Some places have a limit of a certain time, say three or six months, and some places have longer stays. I know you can get kicked out for not following the rules though no matter what schedule you are on, it is to protect everyone's recovery. There are some cool long-term sober living arrangements though that I have seen people set up on their own.
  3. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

It's the first I'm hearing of sober living homes. Is it the same as rehab? Or is it where you go after you get clean?
  4. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

It really depends on what sober living home you are staying in and what they suggest for you. I don't think you could stay there forever, but they will let you stay for a pretty lengthy time. It should never be a living option forever. It's meant to help people get back on their feet.

I want to say that they'd let you stay for several months, but I would check in with your local homes.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Shenwil... A sober living home is transitional housing where people can live after they get clean and sober. It helps them by including structure in their lives, and by providing a community of other sober people. It's a great way to transition back into "normal" society after getting clean.
  6. deanokat

@Starlight... Like others have said, it depends on the sober living home. The last one my son lived in didn't have any time limits. My son was there for a little over a year before moving into his own apartment.
  7. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I figured as much. Thanks for letting me know. I can see the value in such homes. Sometimes when a person gets clean and just gets thrown back into society it may be hard to deal with. However these homes help them to gradually adapt to their new clean life.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

What I don't like about most sober living homes is the business part of them. Most people are trying to make money out of sober homes. They are demanding huge sums of money to keep addicts there because they know that their relatives or family members are able to pay. Can I start a sober living home just to make money? It is because we don't like living with addicts, that is why we try to get away from them by talking about sober living homes.
  9. deanokat

@6up... Sober living homes are like anything else in this world: There are good ones and there are bad ones. Are there homes that are owned by people who are solely out to make money? Sure. But there are also sober houses that are owned by people who truly want to help, and who charge very reasonable rent. We experienced both ends of the spectra with my son. Early on, we found a sober living house we thought would be good for him. It turned out that the owner talked a good game, but he was only in it for the money. Later on, though, we found a couple of amazing sober living homes where my son lived and learned, for a very reasonable price. He was able to stay in one of the homes for just over a year, and his experience there helped him immensely in his transition back to a "normal" life. Like treatment facilities, all sober living houses are not created equal. You need to do your homework before choosing one. Even then, sometimes you don't find bad things out until after the fact.
    kgord likes this.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

That would make sense. it seems like you always get a better deal when for lack of a better phrase you "shop around" I don't see why sober living facilities would be an exception to this rule. i am glad that it worked for your son. I really don't know a lot about those factilities but I know they are certainly necessary for some people.
    MyDigitalpoint and deanokat like this.
  11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Yes, doing a quick research on what are the sober living homes in your area, or the place of your interest, and going through some background research can give you a better idea of what to expect.

As with every regular home, there are rules inside, but these are unique for each home and only selecting a few to inquire and compare can give you the right answer @Starlight
  12. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Here in the UK, a lot of things are dependent on demand, and as most sober living homes are funded by the government, you are at the whims of a bureaucracy that is trying to juggle 3 balls with one hand. That said, the clinical staff who oversee the homes will make a decision based on their own assessment, so you usually, in theory, get to stay as long as your needs require.
  13. lost247

lost247 Active Contributor

I stayed in the home I was in for 5 months. I was dismissed for violating one of the rules (I was out after curfew and lied about it) of which there were many. I was not aware of any limit on how long you could stay, there was one girl there who had been there almost a year and was still there when I left.