An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How long until my heads straight.

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Enigmatic, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Enigmatic

Enigmatic Member

Hi guys I'm tom, I'm 22 and I'm very dependant on cannabis, it started off as a rebellious teen thing (13 years old), turned into a social thing (14), then turned into me smoking at home watching films (16), and now I'm fully dependant (about 17 to now), if I go without it i go crazy, however I lost my job yesterday because of cannabis and that was the wake up call, I'm done. Now whenever I smoke I get extremely paranoid and anxious and I'm the same when I'm not smoking now, just not as bad as when I am, it's made me so reclusive I can't answer the door to the postman most of the time, and if my phone rings forget about it, not answering lol. and I never see friends even though I'd love to. I've taken a few different types of medication for the anxeity and nothing works. The only thing left to try was giving up weed and now I'm doing that, I'm only 36 hours in and I'm just wondering how long until I stop going crazy at night time and can watch a movie without thinking I need weed to enjoy this, how long before I stop feeling so, i guess un-medicicated? Keep in mind this has been going for a very long time. Sorry if this was too long and thanks for reading.
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

Hey there. Thank you for reaching out. I'm not really that familiar with this topic, so I can't really give you any great insight. I do feel as if eventually your body will adjust and you'll be feeling better. Your brain has been hardwired to associate watching movies with getting high. With getting that dopamine boost. So it's going to take some time for your brain to essentially forget that connection and perhaps if you can create a new connection, it can help.

Kind of replacing the weed with something healthier while you're watching your movie. I'm not sure what that could be, or just simply learning how to sit through a movie without being under the influence. Just repetitiously doing that so your brain will forget the old connection and make this new connection. I'm not sure if this is making sense, hoping others will weigh in. I'm really glad that you're stopping and just know that we're here to support you however we can!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Enigmatic... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing. I'm happy to hear that you want to give up smoking weed. I'm sorry you lost your job, but if this was the wake-up call you needed, maybe it will end up being a good thing in the long run. Sometimes it takes a major event like this in order for us to make a big change.

I have no personal experience in quitting weed, but I do know quite a few people who have done it. I know from what they went through that it can definitely take a while to get through the withdrawals. Part of the reason for that is that THC stays in the body for weeks.

This article may help answer some questions for you:

Marijuana Withdrawal

I think you're doing a great thing for yourself. You will eventually feel better, and will no doubt be healthier, without the cannabis.

We're here for you to lean on anytime you feel the need, so don't hesitate to reach out again, okay?

Sending you lots of hope and encouragement. You can do this. I know you can.
  4. Enigmatic

Enigmatic Member

Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback! If anyone who's been through it can give some of my questions a go I'd really appreciate it :)
  5. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Ok I will try.First I was addicted to many substance's. In going to try my best to make this make sense.So since we are focusing on marijuana I will try to stay on topic with the substance but I may contrast similarities to other.So I didn't start smoking marijuana until after I got married at 19 year's old,my wife encouraged it to try and get me away from harder drug's. It worked in spurts,3 year's of weed eliminated the other's and basically my mind did the same as yours it accepted marijuana as a necessity,a bit beyond 3 year's of marijuana I quit and the time frame is basically the same regardless of substance,so expect roughly 6 month's of fog and anxiety, this makes it difficult to not smoke so weed however your at a crossroads, you mentioned that when you smoke now you get paranoid and anxious and this is because your subconscious mind knows very well that it has already cost you a job and even though your consciously aware of what it took from you and even if you try small doses your subconscious will not accept it as it is constantly remembering what it took from you, so the reality is the next six month's will be tough however the more time you go without smoking your body and mind will eventually accept the weed is a thing of the past.Once your subconscious accepts and acknowledges the weed is gone it will slowly ease up on the anxiety. It sound's like possibly this doesn't make sense but I assure you the more time you do without ANY substance the better your mind recovers and begins to cooperate with what your consciously trying to achieve. I will sum it up like this "Time Heals All"the amount of time varies but I know you can do it man.I was on Ritalin at 6 year's old and took myself off at 18 and now I take no meds for my ADHD what works for me may not work for you but now....well I was and will again after surgery run about 4 miles daily.It help's keep me centered as I take my drug cravings now and turn that anxiety and tension into exercise so ultimately I took my compulsive behavior and now use it to improve my physical health and believe it or not it truly is mentally liberating as after each run I turn a potentially negative impulse into something positive for my sobriety and recovery but to mention a sense of accomplishment.Stay Strong my friend and God Bless. You can do this,it won't be easy but nothing worth doing ever is.
    Lostboy8731, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  6. Enigmatic

Enigmatic Member

Thank you so much for the insight, and I understood it perfectly you were very articulate. 6 months is longer than I'd hoped but I know I can do it. I've already smashed my bongs so not much choice haha, thank you everyone I will update in a few weeks with progress if anyone's interested :)
  7. True concern

True concern Community Champion

We are always interested my friend, for myself there is no greater joy than helping a person improve themselves which in turn leads to a happier more productive lifestyle. This is why I do this and I'm confident other's feel the same.Come here to vent,chat,ask questions, etc.Whatever we can do to help we would be more than happy to participate in this journey you are on.Stay Strong my friend you don't have to do this alone we would be honored to support and encourage as best we can.Im proud of you man,you took the first step and as the day's go on with each that passes you take even bigger steps.You got this
    Lostboy8731, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  8. Dominica

I agree with @True concern . We are here and want the best for you!! Hope you keep coming here and sharing your journey with us!
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  9. deanokat

True concern likes this.
  10. Enigmatic

Enigmatic Member

You three are awesome people haha. Tyvm, big love.
    Lostboy8731 and True concern like this.
  11. deanokat

Well, you're pretty awesome, too, @Enigmatic. Thanks for being part of this community. We're all rooting for you. Big time. :)
    Enigmatic and True concern like this.
  12. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

Welcome to the forum @Enigmatic !
    For me, it takes about a week of not smoking weed for my “craziness” to subside. Even when I switched to only vaping it, I still had all the withdrawal symptoms, which made me feel like vaping was just a waste of my money. One day I hope to be 100% free from marijuana and I hope you can too!
  13. Enigmatic

Enigmatic Member

Hey man how long have you been smoking? I've been daily for 6 years and large amounts, I'm 5 days deep of cold turkey and I just feel irritated at the minute, and distant. From what Ive read over the last few days cannabis addiction is a progressive thing and I've never gone more than 2 full days without a smoke in 6 years so I'm surprised I've made it here and I'm not gonna back down, losing my job was the last straw, I hope we become cannabis free soon too my dude.
    deanokat, lonewolves and True concern like this.
  14. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

I’m 27 and have been smoking since 16, but daily since I was 19. I bought a Volcano vape in January and have been trying to make the switch but haven’t succeeded yet. Also threw away my bong in January, but now I just smoke from a glass pipe. I know one day I can kick the habit completely, but for now that’s too scary for me. I only have two vices left since I’ve managed to quit everything else: weed and sugar.
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  15. Dominica

you're making the effort and that's great!! i hear you on the sugar!! that's something i've cut down on for sure, but to eliminate it completely... we'll see. :)

i believe you will cut your habits out one day!! just keep trying!
  16. Enigmatic

Enigmatic Member

I brought the mighty vape, you probably know it it's the same company, it didn't do anything for me, I smoke something called a shotty in Europe, it's a mix of tobacco and cannabis and the hit is very different to any other form of smoking cannabis, I wouldn't be able to quit sugar I can't drink coffee without it haha, big respect for getting down to just two substances though!
  17. Lostboy8731

Lostboy8731 Community Champion

The marijuana withdrawal timeline begins one day after the last intake of the drug. The most difficult withdrawal symptoms will occur on the second and third days and may include headaches, cravings, sweating, chills, and gastrointestinal distress. The withdrawal timeline will continue for up to two weeks while the symptoms slowly fade.
    Dominica likes this.
  18. Lostboy8731

Lostboy8731 Community Champion

Keep us informed along your recovery journey. Good job and best of luck. You got this
    Dominica, deanokat and True concern like this.