An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How long until narcotic dependency sets in?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by TripleD123, May 12, 2015.

1. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I have a friend whose young teenage daughter has been struggling with kidney stones for a few months. She has been prescribed very strong pain killers. My friend is afraid that her daughter is becoming dependent on them. She is afraid that her daughter cannot tell what is actual pain from the kidney stones or her body urging for more pain killers. Its been about 3 months that she has been taking them. The type of kidney stones her daughter suffers from cannot be zapped or treated so the doctors keep prescribing more pills to help ease the pain. I am not an expert by any means but I told my friend to not worry so much. I thought I would turn to this forum to see if anyone has any insight.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

If your daughter's friend is under medical supervision, and sure she is, doctor is already aware of the potential addiction pain killers may cause.

Doctor is probably prescribing a controlled dose, and will substitute the pain killer eventually for two reasons; prevent addiction but also because body develops tolerance to medication and rather than increase the dosage, will change the actual for another.

So you are right, your friend must not worry and, if she is doubt due to the time she has been taking the same pain killer, she must look after a second diagnose.

One more thing, three months with pain killers could be already three months with different medication. The risk is in to keep administering a sole pain killer for a long period of time.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  3. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I appreciate the insight you have given. I have given my best support to my friend but she told the doctor she didn't want their daughter prescribed any more narcotics....I know her daughter is still suffering so I hope that she isn't just succumbing to a social stigma about pain killers.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Pain killers are a tough thing to get off of because you're basically choosing between being in pain or becoming addicted. I don't think there's much you can do other than to make her more aware of it and thus giving her more of a chance to combat it or you could find a way to cure her of her illness faster so she won't have to rely on the meds for much longer.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

So many factors are at play. For one, the person's mental condition (i.e. level of desperation) can affect the speed of dependency. Third, it depends on the type of drug he or she is taking. It usually takes time for certain types of pain killers to kick in, while some work faster than others. Alternative treatments should be considered so dependency can be stopped.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Kidney stones. Strange someone so young has this problem, but maybe she is not young. I was just reading about the different ways you can get these to pass through. Might be a better option to reduce and cleanse them out. There are a lot of different mixtures. Start drinking lemon water it will begin to shrink them.
  7. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Source for this? A reliable one?

There are 2 things about kidney stones. They have to be excreted, either naturally (but this involves a lot of pain) or through surgery, which is much more expensive. But people shouldn't stay for more than 3 months and than start complaining about taking too many pain pills. The pain from kidney stones is excruciating... why would you even stay with them?
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I didn't know that kidney stones took 3 months to get rid of. There should be a solution to this problem, it sounds like they're just trying to suppress it. If they keep her on pain killers too long she may become dependent on them for sure. There is usually surgery that takes place to remove kidney stones if they don't pass thru after they break up.
    It sounds like her doctors don't know what there doing, you should get a second opinion or look for help getting
    this surgery done.
  9. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

It could be time for a second opinion of how to treat these kidney stones. But I also tend to think that most normal people don't get addicted to pain killers from a one-time medical condition, even it if takes a few months of pills to get through it. The pain can be horrible and there are some things that just take a while to heal. Not everyone is an addict and as long as the doctors are monitoring her closely, I think it sounds like it's a little too early to stress too much about addiction in her case.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have excreted a kidney stone naturally (last year) and not only was it excrutiatingly painful but it also caused me to collapse and pass out publicly in the street. When I came around, I had to rush home as fast as possible to get to a toilet. I never took any painkillers or medication for it. If these kidney stones are a persistent and regular problem then it's probable that surgery may need to be involved. To be honest, I don't think it's a very clever idea to take any sort of medication when you've got kidney stones unless it's to break them down but I don't think there is any medication for that. As far as I am aware, the best way to break them down is by drinking 100% pure cranberry juice. I believe the citrus in lemon juice may also help break down oxalates.
  11. lovelyhorse

lovelyhorse Member

I encourage you to encourage your friend to get a second opinion for her daughter's kidney complication. No child should be put on painkillers long-term. This seems unreasonable and potentially harmful. The doctor is not the word of God and 3 months of sustained painkiller use indeed sounds like a breeding ground for dependency. I would say a second opinion is needed as soon as possible.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I hope they are treating or solving the problem and not just temporarily suppressing the pain through pain killers. She can talk to the doctor for the concerns or to give more information about the effects and uses of those pain killers in her situation.