An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How long will this take?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Casanova, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Casanova

Casanova Member

I had a long painkiller addiction for almost 3yrs. I was clean and off for about 6mo and then relapsed. It's been a month and I'm still having withdrawals. How long is this going to last? The last time I detoxed in a hospital and they knocked me out so I didn't have this nearly as bad
    Damien Lee and lilfaerie28 like this.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Be strong as withdrawls can take a long time to get over. Have you tried talking to a doctor to see what more can be done for you? You may not be experiencing actual withdrawl symptoms, but more like craving events. After a month, the physical withdrawl symptoms should be over. I not a prescription drug expert, but just going by what I know about other drugs.
  3. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

If you're still having them at this point, I agree it's time to talk to a doctor. Usually withdrawal symptoms only last a week or two, I don't know if the length of time you've been addicted makes a difference or not. Get an appointment with your doctor tomorrow and make sure there isn't another health condition causing your problems.
  4. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

I would definitely talk to a doctor, withdrawals don't typically last that long. Withdrawal from painkillers is hard. Please don't take this the wrong way but are you sure it's not mental at this point? I know when I've been withdrawaling I feel as though I have thought about it so much that it makes it a lot worse. What type of symptoms are you having at this point?
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It's the toughest but you need to push through and be stronger than ever. If you get worried about your safety don't hesitate to go into the hospital, they want to help you. Don't give up on yourself! Everyone's body can take different amounts of time to bounce back from ending use. Each symptom is your body trying to find its balance again, be patient.
  6. Casanova

Casanova Member

I went to the doctor and let him know I'm still having issues. Morning/evening shakes, night sweats, anxiousness. He feels it's mental also which has left me even more frustrated with myself o_O
    Thanks for the nudge to go back to doc. I avoid them like the plague
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You should keep pain killers away from you. If you have the temptation to relapse and there isn't any painkillers around that may help. If it gets too bad you might want to check out a sober living home. Whatever can help you break your addiction is what you should try, if that doesn't work keep looking for different ways. You can do it don't give up.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well yes, the doctor was telling you the truth. For you to recover faster, you have to have the guts to be stronger than your cravings. Self-medication can be deadly though, so proper guidance may be in order. Your doctor, your therapist and the people you trust will keep you in check. So please don't hesitate to ask for their help.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Withdrawal and recovery are both long processes that require a lot of dedication. Also, the withdrawal period length varies from person to person. You just have to be strong, beat your cravings and never indulge yourself anything, as the more you do it, the longer the process will take. And remember, if so many people made it, you can too. Good luck!
    lilfaerie28 likes this.
  10. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

Talking to your doctor is your best bet. Withdrawals last for different time periods, depending on the person. I don't quite think that withdrawals are going to be your biggest issue, though. If you've already relapsed once, there is a huge chance that you'll do so again, and you need to get help so that you won't.

Either way, it's a long process, but you'll get through it.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I would suggest doing in against under the direction of a doctor. It is best not to try and do something like this on your way. Withdrawals are different for each individual so it is hard to say what it normal for you and compare it to others. You can do this! You did it before so you know that you can!! Stay strong and seek out some medical help. You don't need to go through this alone!
    lilfaerie28 likes this.
  12. lilfaerie28

lilfaerie28 Active Contributor

Those are all physical symptoms. The craving is psychological. I'm sorry that you are going through this. I hope that it goes away soon. Withdrawals are the worst. I'm dealing with them myself.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe it could depends on various factors as we react on substances differently. Agree that talking to your doctor could get you deal with those withdrawal symptoms better. Hope that you feel better now and remain motivated.
  14. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Everyone's recovery is different. If you are still having withdrawals, you should seek medical help. Good for you for reaching out on this website, by the way, and continue to feel free to do so! There are a lot of caring individuals on this website who post a lot of assistance to many different types of people. Also, if you can reach out to a family member or friend to have someone to share what you are going through, it could be helpful to have someone to meet and talk to about it in person from time to time.
  15. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

It's really different for every person. Many of us tend to relapse after a while, no matter how hard we tried to recover. The important thing is not to let this get you down or wear you out. You just need to realize that the road to complete recovery is longer than you anticipated, but it's not endless.

If you stay the course, you will eventually reach your goal. It took me close to 3 years to recover. And I did relapse twice which made me question the recovery process. Fortunately I didn't give up and I finally came clean.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

They knocked you out. This just sounds ridiculous. I guess if you want to go that route. Maybe when someone can't face reality and turns to drugs. Being knocked out can be an easy way to get it done. Might be a little more eye opening and have a greater impact to face it head on. My friend described her detox of LSD in the 70's. If that doesn't scare you away from doing drugs again I don't know what will. Amazing how women can have more nerve than men. Some people might call it something else.