An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How many a day?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Hiraeth, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

Smoking how many cigarettes a day would be considered an addiction? Lately my count has increased from 2-3 to 5-6 a day. This might not look very bad before chain smokers and addicts, but I feel like I'm slowly making my way there. I can't seem to quit because I moved in with my boyfriend and he smokes. Every time I see him fish out a cigarette I get cravings to join him. This has shot up my daily count to around 5-6. But when he is not around I can manage to survive the day without a smoke, ignoring the cravings. Is this to be considered addiction?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Well, technically smoking as little as one cigarette per day would be classed as an addiction. You are still consuming that same amount of nicotine regularly on a daily basis and by doing so you are programming your body and mind to expect it. Once it does, you're addicted. Nicotine is more addictive that many hard drugs yet the effect it has is so subtle on the brain and body that you hardly notice it which is what makes it so dangerously addictive.
  3. Dasjdas2

Dasjdas2 Member

Basically I would say as soon as you hit your first cigarette you have become addicted. I am 31 years old and my first cigarette started because I was out of black and mild. My plan was to just smoke one until I made it to the store, by then I had already had an addiction that I was not prepared for. I found myself buying cigarettes instead of blacks more often. However, we you want to look at it you have become addictive and the best way to shake this is to try your best to quit. No matter the number the nicotine invades your body forever.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I went from two or three a day, fractious increasing to about twenty. I smoked twenty a day for a number of years before I knew I had to try and do something about it.

Now I'm back to smoking three or four a day, and while I haven't been able to stop entirely, it's certainly better than it used to be.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

As I've said in other posts; anything you just have to do every day, without anyone making you do it, is an addiction. But you can just quit, because you're a very light smoker. That means your body can rid of the toxins easily.
  6. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

My girlfriend's mother smokes up to 2 packs a day and the worst part is the fact that she smokes even while we're eating. The first thing she does in the morning is to smoke a cigar, then she eats and smoke another one. For Christ's sake, she's even smoking in the bathroom. I hate it, but don't have money to move out.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

One cigarette a day can make you an addict and before you know it the amount of cigarettes you smoke will increase. I used to smoke about 10-15 a day depending on how rough of a day I was having. The best thing to do is to cut down and quit smoking entirely.
  8. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The hole idea of addiction can be resumed to one thing. If you need a substance to cope with a certain situations. If you spend all day at work hoping that it will end so that you can go home to smoke the one and only cigarette . That makes you addicted. It's not the volume of cigarettes you smoke, it's how you see them.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

What you described sounds more like social smoking than an actual addiction. Maybe you could try to quit together? Would be way easier and beneficial for both of you.

I was smoking a pack per day, most of the time. And given the fact that I also have lung problems... It kind of destroyed them. I am glad I quit it.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It makes no difference how many cigarettes you smoke a day. If you cannot go without them at all then I'm afraid that nicotine has its nasty little claws stuck firmly in you.

I quit in January this year and, like you, begain with just a couple every day. Gradually, my smoking increased until I was on around 15-20 a day. Please don't try and kid yourself that you aren't addicted, unfortunately you are and if you don't attempt to nip it in the bud, you'll just end up smoking more and more.
  11. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@Hiraeth : Dude, do something about it before it's too late... if you don't, you'll find yourself smoking a pack a day and not able to quit...in the meantime never buy a pack ! only buy them individually...gradually see the root of your problem and solve that...
  12. Hiraeth

This is what I keep telling myself when I have kept myself from smoking the entire day, and then I get the cravings after dinner. I tell myself that I can quit any time so one smoke now will not harm me. I guess this is a sign of weakness on my part. While I type this might I add that I haven't had a smoke since yesterday evening, and the cravings are gnawing constantly, but I'm fighting them slowly. The sad part is I'll give in at some point, soothing my mind with exactly the same words that you said :(
  13. Hiraeth

Fortunately I haven't gone beyond 5-6 a day yet, and I don't believe I will. Truth is, as much as I do smoke every day, the consequences of the habit freaks the hell out of me and keeps me from crossing some unknown limit. Now I just have to make sure the limit doesn't get pushed upwards. Good news is that I've cut down to one a day again. Not sure how long I can hold this up but at least it's a start.

I never buy a pack! That is the exact tactic I'm using to keep myself from smoking too much. I usually buy just 1 or 2 and if it gets over, I'll have to get dressed and go out to buy the next one. Fortunately for me, the shop that sells cigarettes is a good 7-8 minutes walk away from where I stay, so even if I haven't had a smoke all day, I feel too lazy to actually go out and buy.