An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

how many attempts

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kgord, Dec 16, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I am wondering with drug addiciton how many attempts it takes to get sober on average? I know with cigarettes people who quit usually it takes them 5 or 6 attempts..I am wondering if it is the same with getting off of substances..Does anyone have insight into this?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm not sure about all drug types out there but there has been research done about the length of time people have been abstinent from drug use - and it seems like the longer you can stay away in recovery, the better your overall chances are. Here's some statistics from an article:

• Only about a third of people who are abstinent less than a year will remain abstinent.
    • For those who achieve a year of sobriety, less than half will relapse.
    • If you can make it to 5 years of sobriety, your chance of relapse is less than 15 percent.

Here's the source:
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...ong-term-sober-alcoholics-and-addicts-relapse
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think it's a case to case basis, because drug addicts can either have a slow recovery with many relapses or a fast recovery. But in general, I think the recovery process takes many months or years based from what I have observed.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I believe that lots of factors can determine how many times someone can attempt to beat an addiction before they get sober. For someone who is determined to beat an addiction and they seek treatment then someone like this can beat the addiction the first time.

Many of those who don't seek treatment they may find themselves relapsing numerous times because for someone to successfully beat an addiction there are other concurrent disorders which must be addressed. This is why it's always advisable to seek professional help.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It really depends on the person, and how determined he/she is about fighting, and overcoming his/her addictions. My brother used to be addicted to smoking cigarettes, but he was able to beat this bad habit during his first attempt at recovery. He's now been smoke-free for around 4 years.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For me, alcohol was the problem and I only managed to get on track and start to beat the addiction on the 3rd attempt.

While I was willing to quit the first couple of time I tried I couldn't get past the first few weeks.
  7. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

It doesn't really matter what's the average. In fact, knowing there is an average number of tries will make people try not as hard, mainly because they have an X number of tries to be better than the average or even say there is no point in trying anymore once they surpass the average number of tries.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes I think you are absolutely right Rainman..with any addiction there is an underlying problem that caused the addicion in the first place that needs to be dealt with or the person will be right back to where they started either with the same addiction or another one to take it's place. It is sad but true.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

It all depends on so many factors. The person, the drug(s) being used, how long they've been using, their environment, etc., etc., etc. The important thing to remember is to keep trying, no matter how many times it takes. If you mix willingness and hope enough times, recovery can and does happen.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Like others have said here there are lots of factors. Some people have been known to relapse a bunch of times while others may not relapse but maybe once or twice. Though I think you should focus on making sure you are on track to staying clean versus how many times you think you will relapse.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I'm sure any addiction is about the same. Has to be some room for being human. Probably best to not pay attention to statistics and what happens with other people. Focusing on what you are trying to achieve instead of other people's failures. Take a look at what successful people have done.
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think the important thing is never to stop trying. Addiction can and should be conquered to live a full and happy life. It is something mpost of usstruggle with at times.
  13. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

I will be honest with you in this. The number of attempts taken varies with the type of drug abused. For instance, a cocaine addict might have to take more attempts to fully quit the drug. This applies to Marijuana and alcohol too.