An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Many Of You Guys Really Think Marijuana Is Harmful?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by hunkydoire, May 24, 2015.

1. hunkydoire

hunkydoire Member

I mean, I know it is not for everybody, but with so many advancements being made in the medical marijuana field, surely you can agree that for some people, medically, it is a much better alternative than other medications. What CBD oil does for people with seizure disorders is just amazing, and it doesn't zap their energy and turn them into a zombie like some of the other anti seizure medications.

I'm sure for some it is addicting, and life is better managed without it. I can understand that. I can understand some people do not like the feeling of it. But I just think that in comparison to some of the other meds that a person can take that are out there, marijuana is so much better, and so much safer...it is an herb, not a pill. I do get that for some, if they go back to smoking weed, it would be like a 'gateway' to other stuff. But really, how harmful do you guys think weed really is? Aside from being intoxicating, and making someone goofy and have the munchies...it really has about the most harmless list of side effects that I have seen...some of the newer anti depressants are downright scary some of the side effects they cause (some of them being permanent!)
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do think that marijuana is harmful and can really be addictive. In terms of medicinal purposes, it will be fine for me to be used for such purposes provided that it has been proven already or known to be safe and effective.
  3. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Well I think it doesn't harm a person significantly, but I did hear that it can mess up your memory and stuff like that. I remember hearing of a test that they did and they found that people who took marijuana had lower IQs than those who didn't. It was a pretty fair test too, all scores at the start were very close to averaging one another.
  4. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

I believe that anything that is taken to the extreme is harmful. In moderation though, marijuana I believe is not harmful. Like you had just stated, it is safer than other drugs. Something that we do not know though are the long term effects of marijuana smoke on the brain and other organ systems. There have been no studies that have shown marijuana overdose, which cannot be said about even many over the counter medications. Also, like the other user had mentioned it can be addictive. Some people may build a dependency on it and it can negatively harm their lives, but then again that can be argued about many other things in society (drugs, food, sex, gabling). All in all I believe marijuana is not as harmful as people portray it to be.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Having smoked weed before, I really don't think that it's harmful. I did experience those side effects that you mentioned, but since weed is a herb, then it is a natural plant as compared to all those synthethic substances and pills that doctors prescribe. So I agree with you that weed isn't really that harmful as compared to other drugs.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Personally I dint think it's as bad as people make out, in fact a lot of places now have started to relax the rules when it comes to the use of marijuana.

I'm not even sure just how addictive it is either, me, and Many people stop smoking marijuana and it hasn't really had any negative effects on our life. I think what's more addictive is nicotine that you put with the weed, to smoke it that's the main problem.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The biggest side effects is Marijuana is when parents are addicted to it, and they stop being responsible parents. My parents were heavily into it. They would rather spend money on more weed then to put food on the table. That was my reality. If any says the weed doesn't hurt anyone, well it does. It hurts the kids of addicts.
    dechantajones likes this.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I think it comes down to how often you smoke it. If it's on weekends and stuff, I don't think it could do much harm. But, if you're a heavy smoker, it just might do some real damage. It's true it messes up your memory. Everything, and I mean, everything you do in excess is harmful.
  9. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

Hey Josh,
    Sorry to hear about your story. I did not realize that point of view, although I feel bad about your experience it was interesting to read your point of view. Did you ever confront your parents about the situation growing up? Or even now? Also, besides the fact that your parents used money that they should have to provide your family with essentials on marijuana instead, how was their overall mood when you grew up? Did you feel like they were too laid back? Or that you were able to get away with more as a child growing up? Sorry if the questions are too personal, just interesting to hear a different perspective on the situation. My boyfriend is currently a very heavy marijuana smoker and I do not smoke. So if I was to get serious enough with him to marry him I really want to know all possible adverse effects.

Thanks.
  10. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Anything that is burnt and inhaled into something it's not meant to be (human lungs) will not end prettily. I don't care if this is normal wood smoke, pot smoke, cigarette smoke, or ANY other smoke. Lungs were not meant to inhale a burnt plant or wood. It can deal with them; sure, but it's not meant to be used that way.

Now, if done in moderation and kept monitored, I definitely believe it has it's medical uses and it IS warranted to be used in the field of medical study. I've had so many times where someone who is on XXX pills and has no appetite and is wasting away is able to eat like a kid again after they smoked. Or a cancer patient after chemotherapy using it to relax to forget about the hell or torment they went through.

But any smokable comes with risk. People should be aware.
  11. Tryner

Tryner Member

I don't think marijuana is harmful when used in moderation, nor do I think it's addicting in the same way cocaine is. I believe it can be psychologically addicting, like gambling. If your life is negatively affected by it, it's time to stop. I'd definitely go for weed before pills if it was possible, though. I have a very low appetite and have been considering marijuana for that reason, but I'm not sure I'd be able to afford it at this point. I definitely don't believe it's physically harmful in any way besides smoke inhalation.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  12. Shimus

It's really not. And it has plenty of benefits. However that doesn't stop the fact that it's still mainly illegal where I am (unless you have DIRE medical circumstances) and it's still highly frowned upon/you can't find employment while using unless you cheat and use "Detox drinks" or "pee maskers" to pass the dirty test. I'd rather feel good about myself and then settle down to smoke after I've been into the job, if it was legal. Not before.

And I think, aside from inhalation which is not meant for any human lung really, there is no damage. I imagine it poses similar side effects and risks to overall health that smoking tobacco does too. Just in a different way.
  13. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I totally agree! It's about moderation and quality of life of the user. I'll even go one step further and say that with science and medicine now supporting the medicinal use and the government loosening marijuana laws, that the "drug" now has more pro's than con's. And fyi marijuana is the only class I "drug" in the US that is harvested and used in its natural form.

I quit smoking April 20th of 2014, so it's been over a year, but I think its a better alternative than the hard drugs the fda pumps into our communities.
  14. Shimus

Also, it's only harmful when it's thrust at kids at a young age, just like cigarettes, just like alcohol, the pot leaf symbol stuff is everywhere and it's throughout the news currently, so the popularity is actually probably harming it and making it seem "okay to kids" who otherwise may not have experimented with it.

It's all in the advertisement and moderation of the substance, especially if it's being monitored by a third party.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  15. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Like many other things, I think it can be harmful in excess/used irresponsibly. In moderation, not as much. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to do a drug, or if given the option of prescription drugs or marijuana to deal with a health condition, I’d probably choose marijuana in both cases. It’s all in how responsible one is in its use.
  16. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Member

According to studies, they say that marijuana is harmful but I'd rather go ahead and say that any form of smoking is hazardous period, seeing that you're taking in smoke. But while it may make some alterations to your psychological patterns upon heavy usage, it still has health benefits with moderate usage that puts it more in a better light. I still don't know why the government even allows cigarettes to sell and they have zero benefit unless you're happy about potentially gaining blackened lungs and cancer.
  17. Shimus

Sadly, we, the majority don't get decide how harmful it is. The ones from experience; the ones who have used. Instead it's determined by the powers that be, the authorities, many of which who have condemned it without even trying it and I feel that is the ultimate hypocrisy. IF you're going to advocate against something and then tell me you've never tried; I'm going to laugh at you and tell you I won't follow you.

You have to had life experience to suggest/give life advice in area.
  18. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It isn't harmful, nor physically addictive. It's just your brain demanding more and more of it, but you can surely experience easy withdrawal symptoms if you really wanted to, unlike cocaine or heroin, which give you serious trembling sensations.

But the leaf itself isn't harmful... other indirect aspects of it such as us humans' perceptions upon it is definitely harmful and counterproductive. Many, many kids who haven't even achieved their puberty phase want to learn to roll a joint on Youtube and smoke their head away... it's got so bad.
  19. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Nothing is harmless, not even water. It's possible to die from overdosing on water - it's called hyponatremia. Too much of anything is bad for you, including marijuana. Everything in existence has a good and a bad side. Marijuana can cause some people to suffer with psychosis (paranoia, delusions, etc) whereas it can cause some people, especially those who start off young and continue to use it heavily long-term, to suffer with mental illnesses such as Schizophrenia. Marijuana is definitely not harmless and it's ridiculous to think it is. It does, however, have an incredible amount of beneficial uses and not just medicinally but for many other things too and for this reason, Marijuana is also capable of revolutionizing the world.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  20. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it is, as a person spends money on it and in some countries there is the death penalty like in Bali and recently two people were killed and was shocking as well. I think some people don't think marijuana is harmful but the jail sentence in New Zealand where I live is 14 years or more and can spend most of your life in prison for the drug. Some young people think that it is not that bad and, want to try it out to impress others and sometimes that back fires and the person stays in hospital or ends up suffering and causing the family problems which is sad to see happen to a young person.