An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Much Did The Thought Of Saving Money Help You?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by scootpony, Mar 11, 2015.

1. scootpony

scootpony Active Contributor

I remember years ago when I was trying to quit cigarettes that every time I'd think about one and mention it my husband would go on about how much money I was saving by not indulging. The idea just never took hold with me.
    I see him now trying to quit drinking and telling himself that he'd be saving a ton of money if he'd quit buying all that beer; and, as far as I can tell, it's not a very effective deterrent for him, either.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Hahaha, that's a good one. Another variation of the said method is to not have money on you at all. If you don't have the extra cash then you can't buy anything. When you do go grocery shopping just make sure you don't pick up any cigarettes on the way out of the store.
  3. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

A lot. As you may know, having an alcohol addiction is a pretty expensive habit, even if you prefer cheap rum. I already quit by the time I realized, but I tallied the costs all the same. It got up to $1000 a month at the worst times.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I don't think saving money is something an addict ever will think about. Addicts I've known would plan how they'd save all their money, start a business and so on but once they got their paycheck they'd go right back to abusing whatever drug it is they'd been using. IMHO the only way to beat an addiction is by "fixing" the underlying issues which force you to use the drug. Once that is done, the thought of how much money you'd save could motivate you to stay committed.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I remember once, as part of a stop smoking campaign, I picked up a, well it was like a wheel and on on one side you turned it to the age you started smoking and on the other side you turned it to how many you smoked a day and it worked out how much you had spent in all the years you'd been smoking.
    I started when I'm was 15 and I'm 37 now so as you can imagine it was a LOT...put it this way, I could have nearly bought myself a new car!
    This didn't make me stop, it just shocked and depressed me. That much I needed a dig to get over it!
    Joking apart though, if your addicted to something and you need a fix, you don't think, I'll do without and save some money, all you think about is where you can get that fix from.
  6. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

For me, personally, the thought of saving money never even occurred to me. I was constantly focusing on where I was going to get more money so I could get high again. I stole and lied to get all the money, anyway. When I cleaned up it was the thought of not having to constantly fight and scheme to make it through the day and no more stress over getting busted out on my lies that had me excited when I quit.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The thought of how much money I spent makes me feel ashamed, it really does. LIke kana-marie though, getting clean meant I didn't have to focus on working so hard to get the money for cocaine - I think I was stuck in a work-party-work cycle and it was such a relief to get out of it.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am pretty stringent. When it comes to money, I really make sure that I buy only the things that I need, and not what I want. I self-reflect first before I purchase something. I ask myself questions like: Will this be useful to me? Is this really what I need? Will I benefit from it? It sure does works for me all the time, the reason that I always keep myself clean and sober, and also the reason why I was able to save some cash. I guess you should do the same with your husband though I'm not sure if it's going to be effective with you.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have a friend who also went too far off the deep end of addiction and acted the same way. It really does a number on the mentality of the person since I know he was never really that shady but under the influence he did a lot of things that hurt us as his friends. I'm glad he got out of it and now he's back to normal, and I'm glad to hear you did too. I imagine it does feel refreshing not to have to feel so guilty or paranoid all the time.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I tallied up the amount of money I used to spend on cigarettes alone and it was well over 6K a year, not to mention drinks on top of that. I still buy a bottle of wine every week, but I am saving a ton of money now that I can put toward bills and other things I need in life...and I wondered why bills weren't getting paid on time!
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Money was never considered a deterrent for an addict, in fact, acquiring it is what motivates them so that they can be able to buy whatever it is that they're hooked on. Think of people stealing and pawning their possessions for money just so that they can be able to buy drugs. So the desire must be curbed first and foremost to be able to make progress.
  12. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I know I have saved thousands no joke thousands. For the past 4 some odd years I've been sober I haven't lost money, cigarettes, lighters, shoes etc... I haven't bought booze I haven't smoked as many cigarettes as I did when I drank. I smoked like a fright train. No gas money for riding dirt roads drinking or making countless beer runs to store or bootlegger who was very expensive by the way. I drank a lot so I know I've saved a lot of money by being sober.
  13. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Thank you for this! I know it's wrong, but it makes me feel a little better when I hear I wasn't the only one. What's really crazy is that at the time I still considered myself a casual user. I felt bad when I did steal, but it was necessary in my mind. But thank goodness I wasn't an addict! Nah, really though, thank goodness I had someone who could convince me I had a problem. If not dead, I would probably be in jail for armed robbery right now.
  14. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

The thought of saving money is not a huge motivator. Although it's logical to quit something because it is a waste of money. Addictions are not a rational behavior so it's not surprising that it's not always an effective motivator to quit. If anything, after the initial quitting process, it's helpful to think about the money saved as a reason not to go back to old ways.
  15. ABC123

ABC123 Member

I would think as most who posted that saving money would not motivate. More little they are more willing to cut cost somewhere to save money for their addiction. Their motivation would be to get money through any means possible instead of saving by not doing the addition.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is what's always said or thought when there is a problem. You've got to replace the habit with something. Water, juice and really good food. I mean if someone is use to toss it back all the time. You've got to toss something else back. If you just continue to drink and imagine saving money. Might be better to drink something good for you and imagine it's alcohol or just forget it altogether. Drinking lots of water will save quite a bit of money.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I guess to a degree it played a role. Part of wanting to quit drinking for me was wanting to be able to travel the world - something I wouldn't have been able to do if I was just drinking away all my money. So that was a motivator for sure.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Quitting any substance is hard and you need to try and get all the motivation you can from anywhere you can. If saving money is smorthing that you think will help you, then use it.

Everyone has different motivation so it's a matter of trying to find what works for you.
  19. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

Oh the thought of saving money is "one" of the biggest reasons why I don't do it anyway. I have seen many people where money was a motivation to them and they've stopped smoking, doing drugs or drinking.. and lots of other things. I think they're living pretty happy right now. To be honest, I would rather save up my money spend it on a burger once a week than spend it on a drink or anything else. Something not as harmless really.
  20. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Whenever I went to drink, I was always consumed with guilt and angst. I usually drunk on impulse even after a period of sobriety. Most times I found I had misappropriated cash meant for other uses. However, this was only temporary until the next opportune moment for the habit to strike.