An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How much did you know BEFORE your problem?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Cheeky_Chick, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

How much did you know of the issues of alcohol and drug abuse before it was a personal problem for you? I know that there are many people who just don't think about it at all, and it is never on their radar - because unless it directly affects your life, I suppose it can be quite easy to just ignore it really.

I wasn't aware of abuse at all, so it was a shock for me when it suddenly became something huge that had to be the centre of my world.

How has your awareness of alcohol and drug abuse changed, if at all, since you were placed right in the middle of it?
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I was pretty much aware of the negative effects of alcohol before I started craving it. First, I was just curious about how can people be easily drunk and lightheaded over a bottle of liquor, so a simple curiosity turned into a nasty craving. I wouldn't say I became an addict because I have never really became too dependent on alcohol.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Before I began involved with my partner I never really thought too much of it. I could do out and have a few social drinks and be happy with that but some people can't do that. A few drinks leads to many more drinks and then they are out of control. I am still trying to understand it all and the addiction part of it. I struggle with why he can't do without and why he craves it. I don't understand getting drunk on a Monday, sitting in front of the TV. Getting drunk just to be drunk. It is hard to really understand it unless you are directly involved in it and that is where I am at now. It's hell at times. I wouldn't wish this on anybody.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I was aware of the problems and how much addiction could take over a person's life, but apart from that, that was about it. I was always under the impression that it wouldn't be that hard to quit, as long as somebody wanted to.

It's only now having been through it myself, I realise that isn't the case, and while I wouldn't go as far as to say I have sympathy with addicts, I can certainly empathise with them, and what they go through.
  5. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

There were users and addicts in my family, so I was aware of the existence of drug habituation and dependence. Obviously, I couldn't understand at the time how strong of a hold that a chemical could have upon you. I also didn't realize the severity of physical withdrawal.
  6. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

It took me around two years to start seeing the negative consequences of ecstasy use. Fortunately I wasn't a hard user, just partaking in the drug over weekends, sometimes even over a fortnight. However, the symptoms of prolonged drug use were starting to show and my family was showing concerns. One event eventually led to another and I had no choice but to deal with my drug abuse problem.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I had a good grasp about my addictions and I knew very well that they're addicting. The sad thing is that I thought I would be strong and they wouldn't be able to control me. Little did I know, after a while I lost control of myself and I couldn't hold on. I needed alcohol and cigarettes everyday.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I grew up surrounded by alcoholics, so for me it was a completely "normal" state of affairs to have my parents and other family members falling around drunk. As a child, I thought that these things happened in all families. It came as a surprise to me when one day I found out that the daily consumption of alcohol isn't common in other families.
    I was already a teenager when I made that realization. But it didn't stop me from slithering into a vicious cycle of alcohol and nicotine abuse. I only managed to shed light onto my issues and liberate myself from my destructive tendencies when I was in my early twenties.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I got into substance abuse when I was 12. By 13 I was an addict. At that time I didn't know much about what substance abuse would cost me and even later when I did learn all that I couldn't let go because I though I was in control. As time proved I wasn't that much in control as I thought. But to be honest, I don't if knowing all I could about drug abuse would have made much difference to me back then. Loneliness can get you to do things you never thought you could.