An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How much do you think weed would cost if it were legal to purchase and heavily taxed like liberal

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by thepieeatingjay, May 22, 2015.

1. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Just as the title says. If it becomes legal everywhere, you can be sure the street price will be effected instantly. Anyone have any thoughts on how much it would cost?
  2. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Its all economics man. Markets adjust over time.If Washington state taxes the crap out of weed then yes prices will skyrocket in order to keep everyone happy (growers, distributors, suppliers) the one who looses is the consumer.

So in effect everyone will sour on the high prices and turn to the black market again and no one will buy from the stores . The stores will start to demand lower prices from the distributors and growers and over time prices will drop.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Not as much as you think. Supply and demand; pot becomes legal... so at first it's expensive. More people decide to get into business selling, growing, distributing, etc. Then, as more floods the market, cost will come down. I believe pot would be completely reasonably priced, even allowing for a high sin tax, within 5 years.
  4. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

It is easy enough to grow in your yard. So I can imagine that even if at first it may be expensive. Only at first. But once people start growing it themselves (which they will in droves), expect that price to drop like a dead weight.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

It would cost a lot more than what you'd pay for in street prices, I think, because you will be paying for the taxes as well. However, if it becomes more normalized then a lot more providers and consumers will come forward and there will be a better chance of the price going way down eventually. That's how I see it anyway.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I do think that it would cost quite a bit more. There would be manufacturing overheads, taxes and retailer profit margins to consider. In the UK, I can envision having to pay around 50% more.
  7. Eileen100

Eileen100 Member

I believe that the price of the marijuana plant would go up at least 2 to 3x the current price rates. The demand wouldn’t be so hi because it would be everywhere. When they came out with that synthetic weed "Spice" it was a disaster the prices didn't exactly go up, but the dealers were pinching their bags and watching their bottom line. You could not get the same amount for the same price. It would be the same rules as say if there were a drought. Every summer there is a drought the product is reduced and the price stays the same; I feel the same thing would happen or both the product is decreased and the price becomes higher.
  8. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I'd say it would be pretty expensive. The fact that the government would be adding on hard taxes on yhr products and such would make the prices sky rocket. This would be good for the government financially, but not too good for us people. Of course there would be a black market on this any who.
  9. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Honestly, around my area? In a cornerstore or local market, with a vendor selling them? Probably 2x the price a pack of cigarettes (so like 12 bucks) for like two joints or something. I could see it still roughly being around the same price but just being heavily taxed. So you pay like 14 bucks for a 12 dollar pack of two joints. It would definitely jump, knowing they CAN tax it and WILL tax it, just like tobacco - more then likely to "scare away" people. It won't work, though.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If it ever came legal then I think it would be more expensive than it is now, but I don't think the price would be that high that it would put people off buying it.

Cigarettes cost a lot of money aswell these days and that doesn't stop people buying them, at the end of the day people will usually find the money somehow.
  11. Shimus

It was just legalized in my state (Pennsylvania) for certain Medical Conditions. I don't know how I feel about this because it seems like they say it's okay for some, but not for others. If you legalize it you shouldn't play one side or another. That just seems wrong. Make it legal, tax it properly, and regulate it so crime stays down or you're just inviting drug dealers to set up camps in the wilderness to grow it.

These "Certain Medical Conditions" will lead to privately own pot farms and a lot more crime. If it's governmentally legalized and the state messes with it I could even it potentially backfiring and making a case to the supreme court for violations and such. It just seems a like a sword..and deadly doubled edged sword at that, that's cutting backwards.

And this coming from an unbiased standpoint. I don't feel strongly for or against the legalization. I'm just against undue crime.
  12. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I don't know much about economics, but my logic tells me that if it gets legal it will be cheaper than buying it illegaly out in the street as it is happening right now in most of the states.
  13. Shimus

I doubt it would be cheaper. The whole point of making it legal is to tax it and make people buy it. It will naturally be more expensive then if you went to dude down two doors. I don't see it being cheaper then 20$ a Gram where I am, and that's even getting ripped off from Dudes around here. From personal experience.

So I don't believe it'll be cheaper, at all, really.
  14. rightct

rightct Community Champion

The demand would overwhelm the market, trust me about that. There is an ongoing marijuana culture promotion on the Internet right now, man... you can't even imagine. You only need to look on Youtube to see those 11, 12 year old kids saying how marvelous their first marijuana smoking attempt was, without any kind of restrain, or shame for that matter...

Our social principles are continuously and probably endlessly decaying. We should do something about this until it isn't too late.
  15. Shimus

Unfortunately, it's already getting to be "Too Late" for most of the masses involved. The best we can do is advise against such actions and try to keep people on the straight and narrow.

But if it's legal, and thrust in our faces, it's going to be hard to tell the kids it's wrong when even the government says "Hey, it's okay."
  16. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

The government knows that if it is taxed heavily, the dealers will thrive again as they are chosen instead of the larger medicinal companies. The dealers would become like a thriftshop where as the corporation would be like a Costco.
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have no idea what would happen. What I do know is that the price of marijuana in the UK is currently at an all-time high. It's actually cheaper to buy a bag of heroin than it is to buy a bag of weed! I guess it depends on the social aspects of any individual country or state. Of course, if legal marijuana was more expensive than illegal marijuana then users would still buy it illegally.
  18. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Well the normal price atm is about 7 g= 50-60$ so I think if the government got a hang of it including the taxes you could expect to pay 75-80$ for the same stuff.
  19. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

What makes you think the government would want to sell it at the going street rate and then add tax to it? Surely, that would be counterproductive and people would still buy it off the streets at a cheaper price. In the UK seven grams would cost £70 ($140).
  20. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Because that is what they do literally every time with things like this, you are dreaming if you think the government will come out with cheaper weed than on the street.