An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Hiraeth, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

I hate to admit it, but being constantly in the company of a heavy smoker, I've got into the habit of smoking myself. There is no pattern to the time of day in my smoking. I only do it when I feel the need. Sometimes I might go a few days without smoking, while on the days I do, I might smoke anything between five and fifteen.

Initially I used to feel lightheaded after smoking, which I guess every new beginner feels. I don't experience any such fuzziness anymore since I've started taking it regularly. I try to keep it to as less as possible but sometimes I realize i do go over board. At what level of smoking should I know that it's getting too much?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As soon as you start to wonder if you should cut down or start to ask yourself are you smoking too much, that's probably the time to stop or to try and cut down.

I think everybody knows when they're over doing something, it's learning to listen to yourself and actually doing sonthing about it that's the hard part.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

No amount of smoking is good for you, but if you can keep yourself to only a couple per day, you are better off than many people. If you can go days without smoking then maybe you should just make it a point to not smoke at all?
    Rainman and diprod like this.
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

Smoking affects, even one puff. Any amount of nicotine can cause cancer no matter how many times you have smoked. Smoking can affect those close to you even when they do not smoke. So you need to stop since continuing smoking can make you an addict.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In that sense I'm one of the lucky ones and sometimes I do go days without smoking, simply because I don't feel like smoking and a lot of people always say well you might aswell just give up altogether then.

The fact is though I still actually quite enjoy smoking. Even though I know all the health risks etc it's something that I don't want to totally give up yet.
  6. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Well, once you no longer feel lightheaded, that should be the signal for you to stop. Your body seems to be getting used to smoking. If you keep smoking more and more, you won't even notice it. You'll soon be smoking a pack a day and you'd be thinking it was normal. And once you stop, it would be too late. If you don't want to stop the habit or don't want to go through trying to stop, you should stop right now and try not to succumb to urges once you see your friends.
  7. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

It doesn't matter how many cigarettes you smoke in a day, the point is that it's bad for you and you should stop using it. I know it's easier said than done, but you must find a way to quit or your health will suffer in the long run. Don't hand out with smokers if you're trying to quit, that will not help you at all because you will just be enticed to smoke again.
  8. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

If you're going to smoke anyway, try to keep it under half a pack a day. That's what a doctor told me, anyway
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

As soon as you start to have problems financially I think you should question your addiction. It is really bad when you start to sacrifice food and bills money to buy cigarettes.
    Try to find a balance and it's going to be okay if you want to pursue with this addiction, but I recommend you give it up gradually.
  10. cheeto

cheeto Member

If you're asking the question, you probably have a problem. It shows that you're concerned about yourself and you don't feel like this is right. But this is okay, we've all been there. You just have to decide for yourself what you're going to do about it.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

When you can't afford it or when it is inhibiting your current lifestyle, I think it's safe to assume that it is getting out of hand. Just stick to your daily routine and not let habits make you have to reschedule things. If you are rescheduling things because of habits, that's a sign.
  12. rightct

rightct Community Champion

If you ever doubt your habit or how much you practice it, then it's time for you to stop all at once or gradually. I personally did it spontaneously, because I just couldn't handle it anymore. The first time I smoked in high school, it was nice because it was a way for me to socialize more, but thereafter I had pretty much no reason to smoke whatsoever.
  13. Hiraeth

I understand this completely. I actually enjoy it too and I find myself convincing me that I'll stop soon enough. I don't think it's an addiction....yet, and maybe if I try I can actually quit it altogether. But it's tempting, very tempting simply because I quite like the feel of smoking. And I know this is bad, will probably lead to something worse if I don't nip it right now.
  14. Hiraeth

My daily routine is as bad or good with or without smoking. Nicotine hasn't led me to alter any part of my life. I don't smoke to socialize, nor do I do it out of any extreme need. I just like the feeling I get out of it. Keeping smoking apart, I'm otherwise pretty health conscious, I exercise regularly and make it a point to eat well. Given all this, can the ill effects of smoking be countered this way? I'm scared of ending up with painful cancer, but I suppose not scared enough to quit. :/
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, in my opinion too much is when you start to realize you are spending $100 or more on cigarettes a month. I know someone who spends 120 euros a month on cigarettes. It's terrible. I think there are people who spend way more than that. Truth is even if you smoke just 5 a day is still taking a toll on your health... better quit as soon as you can. I think you are still on time ,since you can go days without smoking, many long-term smokers can't do that, so do yourself a favour and quit now before it's too late.
  16. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

"Too much" or "enough" are subjective.

It will vary from person to person depending on how long they've smoked, how many cigarettes they have in a day or maybe if they don't smoke at all, the answer would be different. "Too much" for a chain smoker would be 10 or so packets a day. For a non-smoker or someone who is trying to quit smoking, one would be too much.

IMHO, if you can avoid it you shouldn't smoke at all. If you can't then you should start cutting your consumption to a cigarette a day, half, and so on until you stop smoking completely. I understand it's not easy but we keep trying.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

As long as you feel that smoking is hurting you physically/psychically then that is too much. Try to stay away from cigarettes if you're even trying to find an answer to this question.
    Maybe one/two cigarettes are start wouldn't hurt, this can get you addicted in the long-run and you're going to suffer then.
  18. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

For your good health, you have got to try your best to not be around people that do this. I am not so sure why people smoke around anybody else anyway. It seems as if by you being around this person that it got into your system. I would do everything I can to try to quit and ask that person not to smoke around you or if you can not go around that person.
  19. panda

panda Member

Even one cigarette a day is bad for your health. If you're at the point of wondering if you're smoking too much, you probably are.
    If this person is causing you to smoke more and you're worried about your health, I would advise you to distance yourself.