An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Much is Too Much?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Smileyblue13, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Smileyblue13

Smileyblue13 Member

Many people enjoy being drunk. Is drinking until you become drunk binge drinking? Is getting drunk two nights in a row binge drinking? When do we decide what binge drinking is? Isn't the first step to recovering from being an alcoholic admitting the problem? How do you decide if it's a problem if it's up to you? I don't consider myself an alcoholic but I am a heavy drinker. Is that the same thing without confessing it to myself?
    MicahcHudgins likes this.
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Well, it can be when the choices you are making are not good ones or when a person does not know why they are drunk and forget things and have hangovers the next day which can be a sore feeling and also throw up at times. I have seen some people in my family who would drink quite a lot on their own and even forget who they were, or try and drive the car and only got as far as the driveway which could of been worse if they had gone down the road. So for different people it can be different and sometimes the person may not realize that they are binge drinking, and think they don't have a problem or try and hide the issue from other people who may judge them.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Binge drinking is the consumption of a lot of alcohol in a very short time. Doing that doesn't necessarily make one an addict. However regular binge drinking certainly will lead to addiction. So in the interim though you might not be an alcoholic it's better to take action before your drinking becomes an actual problem that will be hard to deal with.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

A night or two of drinking is not necessarily binge drinking, but drinking to get several nights in a row is. Binge drinking can turn into alcoholic behavior very fast if you do not get it under control. While people like to get drunk, just think of all the alcohol your liver has to process when you drink. Moderation and control are key.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

If you can't control your life but the drinking does, it's too much. The only way you can determine if the drinking is too much is being honest with yourself. Like if you get yourself in trouble because of drinking often it has to stop. But everything starts with you. People can tell you you have a problem but unless you believe that nothing will change.
  6. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

In my opinion one is to many. Only because I know where one could lead. I suppose as anything else it all depends on the person. We are all different so that being said I'm going to leave this topic just can't bring myself to say drinking in any amount is good. It ruined my life that I know for sure.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Being drunk is binge drinking for me already since that means you already consumed a lot. Being drunk often can also be an indication of being addicted already or you will be addicted on it sooner or later.
  8. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Too much alcohol is when you become addicted to it. That is, when you feel as if you constantly need it (even though you actually don't). A drink here and there is totally fine! Everyone drinks every now and then. However, when you drink so much that you constantly get drunk and "rely" on alcohol, then it might be time for you to reevaluate your drinking habits. You do not want to become addicted or else you will cause harm to not only yourself, but others as well.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Everyone will have their own thoughts on what's an acceptable limit so it's hard to say what's to much. Some people can drink 2 or 3 drinks every night, others don't drink at all but will then have 10 at the weekend. The amount of alcohol consumed is the same, it's just the difference in the way people handle it.
  10. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

Some people are able to drink just one or two drinks and call it a day. Alcohol has never been an issue for me, in fact I rarely drink, but my 26 year old son drinks like I have never seen anyone drink. Sometimes I don't know how he is still alive. I guess it's a good thing he never got his driver's licence because he probably would have done some serious damage by now. He has been in and out of jail because of his drinking. First for being drunk in public, then it escalated to beating up a girl. It is hard to watch your own child destroy his life with alcohol. Not only his life but I can't imagine what it is doing to his body physically. Alcohol can be such an insidious sneaky drink!
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this with your son. It is so heartbreaking to watch somebody that you love destroy their life with alcohol. I hope some day he realizes the damage the he is doing and seeks the help that he needs to get clean. The over consumption of alcohol can make some people behave in terrible ways. I am dealing with it with my partner and I wouldn't wish this hell on anyone.
  12. elbowstain

elbowstain Member

I consider binge drinking just drinking to get black out drunk. I don't think drinking twice in a row is binge drinking.
    I go out with my friends on a Friday and Saturday night and get drunk together. I don't consider this a problem. I also don't do it every weekend. If you get black out drunk both nights I would think that's a problem. But my friends and I just chill out and get a little "buzzed".
  13. cjcasey83

cjcasey83 Member

Too much is when you start running into consequences. Consequences may include (but are not limited to): legal consequences such as DUIs, drunk in publics, Minor in posession, etc. Family problems, losing friends. Health consequences such as hepatitis, broken bones, cerrosis, etc. Mental problems such as schizophrenia, too hungover to work, bipolar disorder, manic depressive, depression, etc. Everyone has their own set of consequences that makes them stop drinking. This is a very personal beleif.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Consistently drinking, let alone binge drinking can be considered as an addiction. It's good that you realise you may have a potential problem, but you need to act fast on it before you can't control it anymore. You have an addictiion since you drink regularly, and you should really consider getting help before it's too late.
  15. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

I'd say drinking too much is when one's drinking interferes with other life activities for the person. You will recognise this when your work starts to suffer or your family begins to complain of not having enough time with you.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Binge drinking is different from being an alcoholic. You can go binge drinking for a whole night but that doesn't mean you are an alcoholic already. You can only be considered an alcoholic if you cannot live a single day without consuming alcohol. I think that's when you have to treat it as a problem.
  17. You have had drinks enough to slur your speech, make you stagger, make you feel like doing risky things you normally wouldn't do then you have had too much. I think every person will have their own limit beyond which they can be considered too drunk. Those with bigger bodies and with a couple of years of experience will generally take more before hitting the 'too much' level.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well... you can recognize binge drinking when you drink too much in one night, enough to black out or not be able to go to your home on your own. That is what I call binge drinking and I was a big fan of it. For me the main goal was to get as drunk as possible.
  19. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I guess if you have to question what is too much then you know your personal limit. No one should be drinking to that point but it is a choice non the less. I would say you are binge drinking if you are purposefully trying to get drunk.
  20. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

When people tell you you're drinking too much, should be a major warning sign. They're usually trying to help you and are seeing things you can't. Always set a rule that if people offer to drive you home, you should probably start curtailing your habits.