An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Much is Too Much?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Vinaya, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I am an occasional drinker, which means I drink only when I am in parties or having a celebration. My drink limit is just about 200 ml. Many people think this is too much and suggest me to limit to 100 ml. However, my brother can take 500 ml and still is in condition.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I think you should listen to what people are saying and reduce the alcohol intake because they care about you. Try not to compare yourself with your brother, his immune system may not be the same as yours, besides, the last competition you would want to be involved with is alcohol consumption; trust me, it kills.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Everyone is different. Regardless if you feel something or not, there is only so much the body will take before it shuts down and reacts by throwing up.
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

What exactly do you mean by 100, 200 and 500 ML?
    Is this beer? Wine? Hard liquor?
    Or are you doing the math and letting us know how much of just the alcohol?
    500ML of beer is nothing, I used to have that for breakfast. I am not saying it's healthy and I am glad I don't anymore, but that's about a standard pint of beer.
    BUT if that's 500ML of pure alcohol? Well son that's far too much.
    Momma9 likes this.
  5. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Do you have a problem with alcohol, like an addiction? If you do, then I would suggest that anything is too much, and it is much easier to simply go without and don't drink anything at all. If you are not addicted, then you need to consider how often you drink, and how your drink affects you. It's not great if you're getting drunk all of the time, but if it's just a small drink to be sociable - and it doesn't cause cravings for more - then I don't think there is really anything wrong with it.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

When I started drinking there was no one measuring the amount of alcohol consumption, we just drank. How did we know we had too much? The next day, when we looked in the mirror and saw all the crap our friends drew on our faces while we were passed out. You don't need to measure anything, just don't get drunk.
  7. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

There is no way yo measure how much is too much. Depends on the drink and the person.
    Some people black out after one shot. Others have a full bottle and can still walk.
    Others take one bottle of bear and black out. Others take over five and are fine.

When you are drinking look for your limit. I usually walk to the bathroom to test if I am fine. When you do not want to black out that would be a good idea too.
  8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Well, everyone has a different tolerance to alcohol. I think you should limit your alcohol intake, just to be on the safe side. However, that's totally up to you. I guess, when you're at a party and having a good time, that's unlikely to be the first thing in your mind.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think peoples weight can effect how much alcohol they can drink before they get drunk. If you way less than your brother you would get drunk faster than he would. This may explain why your brother can drink more alcohol than you.
    I don't know if this is 100% accurate but this is most likely why.
  10. I think they calculate on the basis of body weight. Regardless some people do not get easily drunk, while some others get drunk after just a drink or too. You should ask people around you to keep a tab on you so that you don't drink too much. Anytime you start getting tipsy you should immediately stop drinking.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

For the occasional thing taking "a little" alcohol may not be that bad. However should you notice that you are starting to crave more alcohol even if it's a party then that would be the right time to stop drinking alcohol for good. It's easy to stop before you get addicted and that [craving more alcohol] is the red flag you'll have to look out for. It will save you a lot of pain further down the road.