An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Much Will Harm Your Liver?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rosyrain, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I like to drink a glass of wine most nights of the week to unwind after a stressful day. I do not overdo it and get drunk or anything like that. I just like to sit on the couch at night with a glass of wine in hand. I am concerned about how much alcohol a person can take before it starts to effect their liver though. If I have an average of 4 glasses per week, am I in danger down the road for a bad liver?
  2. 003

003 Community Champion

No. First because that amount is really in moderation and even if you drink those 4 glasses right after the other, your liver still wouldn't be harmed, because it would always have a time to recover. Liver damage only comes when the liver gets no chance to detoxify those toxins that alcohol brings. And it happens when alcohol intake is FAR too much than one should intake.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

According to those who consider themselves experts in this sort of thing, for women 4 drinks a day [the quantity according to them is "standard"] would eventually harm the liver. For men 6 "standard" drinks a day would also in the long-term harm the liver. But that's but an estimate for the 'average' person. The number of drinks one would consume for their liver to be harmed would quite obviously vary from person to person.
  4. Rosyrain

Oh wow, I could not imagine having 4 drinks a day. I would be permanently loopy or falling on my face if that were the case. It is scary to think that some people do consume that much or more per day, and still function on top of it all. Thanks Rainman for a great response.
    Rainman likes this.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

No, there's no need to worry about your liver. Like other posters have said, you are drinking well below the government-recommended limits. In any case, a moderate amount of wine has been proved to be beneficial to health if you are able to drink responsibly. You should continue to enjoy your wine!
  6. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

If you do drink more than a few 175ml glasses of wine for a few weeks and you're liable to create something many refer to as fatty liver. The liver transforms glucose into fat which it sends round the body to store for utilization when we require it. Alcohol influences the way the liver handles fat so your liver cells get stuffed brimming with it.if this happens, you may feel a dubious inconvenience in your belly in light of the fact that your liver is swollen. But from what you said you're drinking well below the dangerous limit, and in good measure, wine is rather good for you as it lowers the cholesterol level.
  7. Rosyrain

I gave heard that one glass of wine a day is actually good for your heart and blood pressure. I probably drink a glass every couple of days and may splurge on 2 glasses over the weekend. I do not like hard liqueur much anymore, so wine is my w at to relax. Good to know I am not harming myself.
  8. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

First time and one sip of ethanol drinking will and can harm your liver for the rest of your lives, and it's possible it will lead to one's death in the next hour or less or sometime further into the future if one over consumes. I've seen people of various mass and weight, over drink high concentrated drinks containing ethanol, and caused their livers to fail. But for the most part, most humans will harm their livers over an extended period of time, as in years or decades.
  9. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

4 glasses a week should still be ok, especially that you are taking wine, which is a better form of alcohol compared to beer. However, I would say anything more than that will be a bit too much. Keep in mind that as long as your intake is within the "social drinking" level, it won't put your health at risk.
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think 4 glasses a week is harmful at all. The only way I'd worry about that amount was if you continuously drink while on an empty stomach, but even then I doubt it would be that harmful since it's just not that frequent enough to sound like it would have significant effect.
  11. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I don't think you're in any danger at all. I also hear that wine can be good for you in some ways. You really are drinking in moderation so you should be fine.
  12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I do not resort to drinking wine to unwind. I just stay in my room and browse the web. I do not want a bad liver so I do not drink alcoholic beverages constantly. You probably should seek a doctor and see how your liver is to ensure it is not having any complications.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not drink any alcoholic beverages but I am aware that wine is considered as a good drink. If one will be drinking it in moderation and I think 4 glasses a week is really in moderation.
  14. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

On the off chance that you have been drinking for some time, then you ought to know the extent to which you take to get tipsy. I'd utilize that as a rule when attempting to keep up a limit. Over the late spring at my parent's seashore bungalow, I'd have a beer on the shoreline, one with lunch, one with supper, and one playing poker during the evening. It was pleasant for the late spring, however other than that I drink to get plastered. I realize that I take 6 or somewhere in the vicinity shots to begin a light buzz. So in the event that I needed to drink alcohol, and keep up a buzz without affecting my liver too much, I would have a beverage, and gradually drink it over an hour or so, while unwinding, and possibly an hour a short time later have an alternate.
    It really makes a difference to your liver.
    No one here knows the extent to which you can drink, so its hard for us to let you know what to do.

As a general strategy for staying buzzed at my house, I simply needed to know the amount of liquor I can deal with, to what extent I ought to take to drink every brew/drink, and to what extent I ought to hold up between.

Liquor is processed and transformed by our bodies before we feel the full impacts of the sum that we have drank. Much the same as how we can feel eager, and consume some sustenance, and when we're set consuming, we may even now feel ravenous, and after 5 minutes we can feel full. This makes it hard to have a beverage or two and judge whether we can drink some more or to what extent we can hold up til devouring more liquor. I have by and by expended a lot of liquor in a brief time of time, and not felt intoxicated till 5 or after 10 minutes.
  15. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I've always thought that it's so ironic that my mother has been drinking heavily for most of her life, and she has had a lot of medical issues especially over the past couple of years, but nothing that has been about her liver. I'm basically just wondering when it's going to happen and when she's going to go into some sort of liver failure, because at the rate she is drinking and the fact that she will not stop or even try to get any help with her drinking problem, it's only a matter of time before she has liver problems on top of it.
  16. Profit5500

I watched an episode of Intervention and the guy who was on the episode who had a drinking problem. I saw that he was going to need work on his liver because of how bad his drinking issue was. Drinking problems does major damage to your organs. I just try to avoid drinking alcoholic drinks all together.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

A glass a day won't kill you. At least that's what I would like to think. But everyone is different and have different thresholds. Hey, a person who is allergic reactions to alcohol to alcohol and they can drop dead at anytime. So yeah, people are different.

Alcohol is not good for you if it is not for medicinal purposes. But that is coming from a hypocrite. So go talk to a doctor and take his word for it.
  18. Profit5500

Well Josh I do not view you as a hypocrite. I view what you said with some truth. Everyone is different when it comes to alcoholic beverages.