New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How much...?

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by frogsandlegos, Oct 27, 2014.

1. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

How much does it usually cost to live in sober living homes? I know the price varies but I would love to hear your personal experiences.

Yes, I realize that the cost of sober living is almost priceless. Plus when you factor in how much money you're saving by not buying the alcohol.... it does make a difference.

Thanks for your help!!!!
    rabst likes this.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

According to some people, it's relatively low cost and effective. Another source said the cost is more or less similar to the cost of living in a regular apartment or house. Since when you live in one you're basically busy with all the chores and getting along with everyone, I don't think you're obliged to spend much money on anything else except for your everyday needs.
    Joseph and frogsandlegos like this.
  3. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

There are social service programs that will directly pay landlord/owner of a sober house. There are DSS approved sober houses/programs. DSS will also give clients/recipients a small amount of cash each month as well as food stamps if they have to buy their own food.
    ChloeDawn, RingoBerry and Joseph like this.
  4. CrimsonAdder

CrimsonAdder Member

Like xTinx said, and according to some of my friends knowledgeable on the matter, the costs are, in a very general fashion, similiar to those of regular apartments or houses of the same scale and quality in regards to the rents. There is, however, normally the perk that you do not have to pay for any utilities, and some charities and various organizations do help people in recovery by covering part of the costs of living in sober living homes as they have agreements with specific homes, so it's worthwhile to spend some time searching for specific offers of this type near your area of residency.

I'll take the chance to add that it's a great experience for people in recovery, as they're supposed to take care of themselves and this helps build discipline and a sense of responsability, and you are supported in this endeavour as many offer you help in getting a job, offer 12 steps programmes and sponsors, provide meetings every so often with people with cases similiar to yours, and as long as you remain sober, pay rent on time and pass on the screening tests, you can stay there for many, many months. It can provide a very personalized experience.
    Joseph likes this.
  5. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

xTinx is pretty much on point really, it's not that expensive and the costs are similar to those of any other regular apartment rental if not less.

A friend of mine said she found them cheaper because all you really spend on is your personal and everyday needs and the rest seems to be covered in the payment of the actual sober house. She also pointed out that in terms of the support system it is very good as you get to spend time with people in similar situations and are encouraged as well as motivated to do your utmost best in beating the addiction.
    Joseph likes this.
  6. Teresa

If the cost of living in sober home is equal to that of any other rental then I don't see how anyone who is in recovery could afford the rent without having a full time job, at least not in NY anyway.
  7. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

I haven't looked. That's the Catholic way to beat the addiction---something like "deny-deny-deny" :p
    Can people in NY (or anywhere else) afford the rent if they're NOT in a full-time job?
  8. Teresa

Yes, I suppose so if you are in a high paying field of work or are renting just a room in someones home .
  9. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

And to go out to eat ... do they still let you 'pay' by washing dishes?
  10. Teresa

I cant answer that one but I think there are people who would appreciate tat type pf trade off.
    rabst likes this.
  11. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

You are on point. Usually cheaper than actually renting an apartment. :cool:
  12. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

This is very interesting! I did not even know that there was a charge for a place like this. I've never had to use a home like this. I thought that maybe this was a free program so I am assuming that a person would need a job to live here. I think that the rules and structure would be great for a person that should learn how to be responsible.
  13. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I know through social services there are many programs that can help people with substance abuse and if your income qualifies it would be free. I think this is an option for anyone in need of the service. At least we know we can get help from somewhere...if your local social services can refer you it is the best thing.
  14. ChloeDawn

ChloeDawn Active Contributor

I had no idea one could get financial help to stay in a sober living facility. I always assumed there was a big upfront cost the person or his family would have to pay. This is great to know and it would be wonderful if homeless abusers could could get help like this so they would have a better chance of getting clean and sober.
  15. lost247

lost247 Active Contributor

I was in a home that was $100 a week. I shared a room with one other woman, and there were 4 rooms that housed 2 women each. We had a long list of requirements and rules, and the house was run by a board of 4 women also in recovery. Meetings were held every Sunday to address any house issues, and all tasks/chores/journals were reviewed. I attribute my successful recovery to the home I stayed in for 5 months after leaving rehab. I learned a lot about myself and worked on my ability to build relationships with women like I'd never been able to in my life prior to getting clean. The owner of the house was willing to work with you and help you find assistance toward rent, no one was ever thrown on the street because they couldn't pay.