An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Neurotransmitters Mediate in Addiction

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by MyDigitalpoint, Jun 16, 2015.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I found this interesting chart that explains better than words how the brain's neurotransmitters work when it comes to develop addictions and how these increase the potential risk of mental disease based on the different substances of abuse. Check to see:

[​IMG]

What this chart suggests is that an addictive substance in the brain may go different pathways, but in all of them the final outcome is an alteration in the mental process of the addict, hence why recovery is many times so hard.

However I don't think that raising awareness on this process can help the individual who is already suffering from an addiction or in the process to become addict to a substance.

Do you think that telling someone to be at risk of developing a mental illness might help to stop him or her?
  2. zplohr

zplohr Member

Super reality is unknown but psychologists think it is driven by your biology, not so much a certain Nero transmitter. This is an awsome chart though! Very helpfull for understanding why we are the way we are.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

What an interesting chart. Look at where marijuana is right in the same section as LSD. Your question is about wondering if it is worth it to show this to an addict. Well, I think that each person is at a different level of perception. Whether or not they get it will depend upon how high their level of perception and understanding is. Someone might not care or get it at the moment, but perhaps in the future. I think it is worth showing someone who needs it.