An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How not to offend atheists

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by rainbowguard, Feb 16, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

As a religious person talking to a non-religious person, you should always keep in mind that the person you are talking with only accepts scientifically proven facts, so you better do your homework and come in with some strong facts proven by science about alcohol destroying your body, liver, muscles or so. There is plenty of material on the internet, just keep in mind to give only valid and proven facts and the non-religious person will accept them, I don't know if this will convince them, but neither would do any religious belief.
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I am a Christian, and the main thing to realize is that if they don't want the help, then they will never hear you whenever you speak. They have to be willing to open up to the idea of God before they will even listen to a word that you have to say. That's where I am at whenever it comes to talking to people on the street. Just don't force it, or else they will never want Jesus, and as a Christian, that is absolutely not what you want.
  3. GenevB

@Matthodge1 I'm also christian, but I've come to conclusion that if there is really a God it's no way to prove that and it also won't interact directly with our lives. R.W. Emerson (if I remember correctly) said something like if the object of belief is real or not the results are the same, it's the faith itself that makes miracles happen, something like a placebo effect extrapolated. Keep in mind that there are people who are not Christians, but they accept the concept of God, you can talk them into believing that Jesus or whatever you believe will help them because they will consider you stupid and they will get defensive, you have to find the perfect way to get to them.
  4. Matthodge1

I have to disagree with you on the way that there is no way to prove that God is real. That does not sound plausible whatsoever due to all of the scientific breakthroughs that have all pointed directly at the fact that there is design within the universe. I respect Emerson, but that quote is the equivalent to stagnation. Christians should be the best and most advanced scientists, as they should be the ones who should be looking for God all over.
  5. GenevB

@Matthodge1 have you ever heard about the Theory of Chaos? In chaos, there is always a design you just have to look long enough to find it. How are the Christians the most advanced scientists and why do you consider this religion to be better than the other 200?
  6. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think the best way to do it without offending them is first to do it in a way where it doesn't come out to them as forceful and imposing your theology down their throats. They might disagree with you, but do it lovingly so that they know you care about them. For example, if I had to say that alcohol is harmful to one of my atheist friends, I would put it that way: "(his name), I can see you're suffering and I want you to be okay, sometimes, alcohol is harmful for our bodies and you're my friend and I love you and care about you, please can you try to at least drink less or maybe consider stop drinking completely if you think it would help you (his name)." I would be as loving as I can and if they show any sign of anger or rejecting my idea, I would say I'm sorry I'm here for you anyways and I love you as my friend always. Show them that you care no matter what, that's the most important thing. Hope you got it sorted rainbowguard.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You refer to yourself as a Christian but you say you have come to the conclusion that, if there is a God, there is no way to prove it one way or the other. By technical definition, wouldn't that then make you Agnostic and not Christian?
  8. Matthodge1

That is much of what I said. It is really difficult to claim Christianity and claim that there is no way to prove that God is really there. That is just a straight contradiction.
  9. Matthodge1

I never said that Christians were the best and most advanced scientists. I said that they should be. I know of plenty of talented and intelligent Christian scientists, but I never claimed that they were the best anywhere within my statement. The Theory of Chaos is just a theory. Also, it is simply a mathematical theory that has been debunked and is mathematical based. Chaos Theory is only visible in the weather and things similar to that as well.
  10. GenevB

By saying I'm a Christian I meant I was baptized in this religion and yes you're right, that makes me an Agnostic. However I feel like this discussion is going away from the main topic, the point is that in my opinion you shouldn't force anyone in your belief when trying to help them, you should simply approach them like another human being, not like you consider them as a person who went the wrong way and you have to show them what's right.
  11. Matthodge1

I would say that you should just associate yourself with the agnostic tag to avoid further confusion.
  12. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

My husband is an atheist but I find whenever someone tried to talk to him about their religions he never gets offended. He knows everyone has their own beliefs and your entitled to believe what you life. No one should ever feel offended to talk about you believe in and you shouldn't be close minded to listen to anothers belief either.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Don't take that the wrong way, no criticism was intended by it. I totally agree with what you've stated. I couldn't agree more. Over the last few years I have gone from atheist and skeptic to believer and experiencer and often receive a lot of criticism over it.
  14. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I guess all what you've wrote guys here can make sense in some way or another. I think after all, what's most important is to be nice and love one another and accept that others have different opinions. While it is true that the atheist should be more understanding and not close minded, and basically just jump on you and be offended by someone elses opinion, I think the best way to deal with it is either try to be quiet around them, because nothing will change their mind, or just put it in a nice way.
  15. DCMY

DCMY Member

Nonbelievers have a tendency to believe in what they can see and hear. My advice to you is to take show them how bad the given substance can be. Trust me, when they see the photos of severe drug addicts or alcoholics, they will change their mind. It's best to leave religion out of it because, as previously mentioned, it is considered to be offensive. Pointing out how they are going down a bad path is the most effective method. Showing them that what they have is similar to what many severe addicts have will have a significant impact on them.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Eh, I've always wondered how addicts who go to AA meetings and are trying to follow the 12 step plan can deal with the fact you have to believe in a higher power (aka God) in order to comply with the 12 steps. I mean, as far as I know that's the core belief of the whole 12 steps plan! I've always wondered how atheists can actually follow it?

Because let's face it, believing in God isn't for everyone, and I actually know a lot people who doesn't believe in God. I do believe in God though, admittedly that made things a bit easier for me while working on staying sober.
  17. mercshe

mercshe Member

Atheists are mostly intellectuals and debating with them about religion and God's existence is extremely exhausting and will lead to nowhere. I myself don't care whether they believe in my belief or not but as far as the concern is about health, don't discuss any religion or anything similar to it. Channel the conversation to facts and scientific reasoning because spiritually irritates them. Let us be kind to and respect one another.
    Sparkster likes this.
  18. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

So true. Very well said. I get just as tired of hearing atheists preach their message as they do of hearing religious people.
    Sparkster likes this.
  19. Matthodge1

I know more preachy atheists than preachy Christians, to be honest haha.
    Zyni likes this.
  20. Matthodge1

I would not say that it leads to nowhere. If you consider yourself a Christian(you being a broad term, not a direct you), then you should brush up on apologetics(odd that this is considered a wrongly spelled word). Atheists tend to be intellectuals, and if you're a Christian, you should be well read and intellectually sound as well. I would say that you should not let the person you're arguing with change the subject constantly. That is one thing that I have noticed happens whenever I argue with people who argue against religion.
    Zyni likes this.