An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How often is childhood trauma the cause of adult addiction?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by pineywood, Apr 12, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that the oerson should deal with this issues after they went through recovery and they are more stable, because as you've said some of the things that are treated may be more dangerous if they are not stable at all, especially if that person is using drugs/alcohol. But it's just my opinion.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think in my partner's case it has lot to do with it. He made the decision to drink and mess up his life but he had an abusive childhood that he has never dealt with. Every time he drinks he brings it up. He goes crazy about it and can be very unstable. He needs help desperately. He is a tortured soul.
  3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I think there is some type of correlation. Not that kids with perfect childhoods don't do drugs, just that kids with a more traumatic childhood might get into some problems like addiction. If the person is very resilient and is able to dodge addiction that is great. Though if problems from the past keep making it hard to live in the present and plan a good future, then I don't see why not on getting help on child hood problems.
  4. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I went through childhood trauma and big changes when I was younger. I think it helped me fit in when I would drink with strangers. It took the edge off and gave me courage.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think these are really related and could be affected by other factors. Like those that have been mentioned like environment, character of the person and family support. It will be helpful to know the root cause of addiction in order to know the better approach.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There is a correlation but that doesn't necessarily mean that one should hold onto what happened in the past. There are some people who use childhood trauma as an excuse for doing drugs but they don't realize that they are only hurting themselves by doing so. One should deal with trauma issues whilst fighting their addiction because if they don't [and the reason they used drugs was to cope with what happened in the past] then even if treatment is successful, they might be drawn right back when they think of the past.
  7. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Anyone can use drugs to numb the pain for any reason but it always comes from somewhere and to take away the pain, sometimes we make the wrong decisions because we want to forget about what we have experienced and there does come a time where you need to face your demons in order to move forward. Drugs stop working and memories come back
  8. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I think this happens more often than doctors or family would like to admit. I feel a crucial time frame in our childhood is between the age of 2 years old to puberty. Our bodies are changing so much through these years. At the age of 2, we are first staring to notice everything that is going on around us. If your parents are abusive, get a divorce, or have multiple fights in front of you at this age, I think it is the first effects of later using drugs or having mental issues. I would love to see a study seeing how many kids were in these situations, that also later in life had problems with drug use or mental issues. My husband's parents split up when he was 3 and then again when he was 8. Between him being tossed between family member to family member when his parents could not figure out what they wanted, and then not knowing who he was staying the night with each night, has really messed him up now. Also he watched his parents be verbally abusive to each other, which caused him to abuse drugs to kind of drowned himself out from hearing them fight.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it could be better to deal with these issues while in treatment. You never know opening up old wounds after treatment could cause a relapse. Still anything that is causing you trouble in life has to be dealt with. I don't think someone should wait until later to deal with issues like this.
  10. tasha

everything stems down to your upbringing and if you had a solid foundation as a child with parents that made you feel safe, loved and taught you morals. Once we grow up we know right from wrong but there are also events in your life that can alter the road you choose to take but at the end of the day we all have a choice.
  11. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

https://www.opendemocracy.net/johann-hari/childhood-trauma-addiction-4600-risk-factor

According to this article, there's a 4600% chance that someone with childhood trauma (six traumas or above) is more likely to become a drub abuser. For every trauma a child experiences, they are two to four times more likely to become an addict. And trauma might be abuse, rape, neglect or harassment.

I love how the article said that: We should stop asking what's wrong with them but start asking, what happened to them?
  12. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

In my case, it's exactly the opposite: my father was a raging alcoholic while I am anti alcohol. I can't stand people who drink too much and will never touch it.
  13. melody

melody Active Contributor

I think you have to learn how to cope with things, including child hood trauma. The problem with that type of trauma is that you are remembering and seeing through the eyes of a child, which is much less mature than what you are now. if you keep the emotional connections as that of a child, then you may still feel severe emotions about that trauma. To really be able to cope with it, we must look at it from our adult eyes and cope with it like adults.
  14. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

I think this occurs very often. Lots of times when children are abused they turn out being depressed and suicidal. The only way they can then reduce the sadness is when they turn to drugs to take the pain away.
  15. tasha

childhood trauma must be dealt with and a lot of people do not believe in therapy but it does work only because you are able to deal with what has happened by talking about it as communication is key so that the child can understand that it is not their fault.
  16. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

Children who have tend to have abused or something happened that deeply affected them somehow end up on drugs.
  17. tasha

they end up on something whether they learn to steal, cheat, lie drink or take drugs they do feel that they were wrong and it is their fault for something that happened. Most people want to forget the trauma or they have no way of expressing their emotions and this is when they can be influenced
  18. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think when the person is ready to talk about it, or if he wants to talk about it, then it's the best time to deal with such issues. We should take into consideration the mental and emotional state of the person in recovery. Some would rather not remember what happened in the past and just want to get on with their lives. Opening up old wounds may even hinder the process of recovery.
  19. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Alcohol and drug addiction is a common way for people to self treat or self medicate past trauma.
    Doesn't even have to be childhood. Any trauma may do. Just look at the addiction rate among our veterans who suffer from PTSD, or look at how the addiction rate is higher for poorer communities (which tend to have trauma at a higher rate.) It also does not help that many people who have to deal with trauma are already marginalized and typically won't get the help they need.
  20. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Childhood trauma has a bearing on adult addiction. Traumatic episodes during childhood are encrypted in the subconscious shaping child psychology into adulthood since the trauma was not addressed. Childhood trauma manifests in adulthood as rebellion and escapism both which lead to drug abuse.