An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How often is childhood trauma the cause of adult addiction?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by pineywood, Apr 12, 2015.

1. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I am sure there is a high correlation to addiction and childhood traumas. If a person has been traumatized in childhood, they may not have learned the coping skills to deal with the after effects of the trauma so they try to self medicate to relieve the pain. I would think if there were an early intervention and the child was able to receive help then that may lessen the chances of them becoming an addict but I think it would depend on the resiliency of the child and the support system that the child has.
  2. I do believe that most people with drug addictions and drug abuse have had experienced some sort of childhood trauma. Whether they got abused by their parents, or maybe their parents fought with each other, or maybe even the whole family never got along with each other. Whatever the case may be, it does leave a scar on that person's heart, and so they turn to drugs because either they are still going through the situation and can't find another way to relieve their pain, or they can't get past everything because it was so emotionally painful. Other adults who abuse drugs may be in an abusive partner relationship. So many different reasons why, and very heartbreaking ones, too.
  3. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

If anyone is keeping score--- I did not become an addict due to any childhood trauma. I did not have any trauma in my childhood, not at any level that would cause issue later.

Meanwhile, I did have a addictive personality (still do).

I am glad I do not have to think about what caused my addition, it was all me.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My best friend is a prime example of how childhood trauma can lead to addiction in adult life. She grew up with a drug addict mom who used to hit her and leave her home alone for days on end. She is now severely addicted to marijuana and used about every other drug under the sun when she was younger. It is sad seeing how her life turned out because she is kinda crazy now, has not sought mental help for dealing with the demons inside of her. She lashes out now and acts irradically. I hope she finds her way to help someday.
  5. roger1003

roger1003 Member

I agree that childhood experiences have a huge correlation to drug addiction. In fact, childhood experiences are our foundation when we grow up. It does not only impact drug addiction but our behaviour and personality as well. Whether you open up the negative experiences or not, it will still be the person who's going to resolve it within himself.
  6. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Whаt thе rеsеаrсhеrs fоund wаs thаt сhildhооd trаumа (аbusе аnd/оr nеglесt) wаs signifiсаntly mоrе prеvаlеnt аmоng thе mеn аnd wоmеn whо wеrе nоw sееking hеlp fоr а drinking prоblеm. Mоrеоvеr, thе sеvеrity оf thеir drinking prоblеms wаs dirесtly rеlаtеd tо thе sеvеrity оf thеir сhildhооd аbusе. In оthеr wоrds, thе mоrе sеvеrе thе сhildhооd аbusе оr nеglесt, thе mоrе sеvеrе thе аdult drinking prоblеm wаs likеly tо bе. Аmоng thе fivе typеs оf trаumа, еmоtiоnаl аbusе аnd nеglесt, wеrе thе оnеs mоst оftеn еxpеriеnсеd by thе mеn аnd wоmеn with drinking prоblеms.