An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Old Were You The First Time You Tried Smoking?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by hellonamesdana, Jan 8, 2015.

1. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

How old were you when you tried smoking pot for the first time?

I was 20, it was just this past summer. I was just hanging out with my brother who smokes all of the time and I decided I wanted to give it a try. It didn't go well, and I didn't even get high. Then a few months later in college I tried it again with the guy I was seeing and I did get high, but gosh it hurt a lot. I wanted to try it really badly because I am chronically ill and I've been told time and again how it will make me feel better and subside my pain, and it helped for the time being.
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

The first time I smoked pot I was about 13 years old and I also didn't really feel anything. I heard it's pretty common because your brain doesn't make the connection right away so you don't feel the effects. What hurt about it? Do you mean your lungs? You may want to try a vaporizer if you feel it could benefit you medicinally. It will be much less irritating on your throat as well. Another option is edibles. You could try pot cookies or brownies.
  3. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

My first time was when I was like 14 years old, tobacco, and one or two months later I started with the marijuana.
    When I smoked my first cigarrete I remember to feel myself a little confused, and to sneeze a lot.
    I have "smoked" from vaporizers and it doesn't satisfy like a normal cigarrette, but if you want to quit with tobacco, it may be useful.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I was 13 when I first smoked marijuana too. It didn't do a thing for me at first, but I soon started enjoying it. A bit too much, to be honest with you all! I think people do tend to use edibles for medicinal purposes - I think they kick in more gradually and the effect lasts a while longer.
  5. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

I think I was 14 the first time I was offered pot, it was by my father. LOL; no kidding
    I think the first time I tried it was in about 20. It may have been really bad stuff, but it did nothing at all to me and so I never really figured out why it would be worth the risk of being busted and so just never got into it.
  6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I was 19 when I first smoked pot. And it was shortly after I had started smoking cigarettes - like within months if I recall. I felt the effects of it pretty quickly, but I was never a regular pot smoker. Something about the high never totally appealed to me. I would do it if I was among others who were getting high, to be on the same page as them, but I never felt like using it by myself, like I did with stuff such as cocaine.

I would say if you don't like the high very much, just don't smoke it. No need to get caught up in all the hype and praise of weed (which is way overblown imo) at such a young age. You're probably experiencing a lot of peer pressure to use it, and to fit in with those around you using it.
  7. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I was ten years old but it was not that I had decided to try smoking, I caught my older cousins smoking and they paid me to try it, then said if I tattletale I would be in trouble because I smoked to! I ended up telling on them anyway when they wouldn't take me to the park around the block. I lived with our grandparents at that time and was not allowed to go to the park alone. When I was 15 I tried weed, smoked a few times but never got to heavily into it.
  8. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

The first time I tried smoking weed I think I was 18 or 19. I had friends that would do it all the time. They would always jokingly pass my the blunt, and one day I actually took it. I got pretty high and I actually had fun with my friends that day. That was a long time ago though.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think I was 15 and a bunch of my friends were doing it. High School was over for the summer, I didn't have a job either, so no surprise drug test. So I figured, why not? I tried it, I wasn't really impressed. I tried it maybe 3 more times in the next 10 years. I never liked it, but I did it because my friends did it.
  10. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I was 13 when I first tried marijuana, and I loved it from the get go. I smoked for about 15-16 years before I stopped and I think that was almost as hard as kick the meth addiction I was struggling with. Weed was always my go-to drug when things got bad.
  11. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Thirteen. I didn't feel a thing, so I didn't really try it again until much later.
  12. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

I was 20 years old also when I first started smoking weed. It happened in the apartment of one of my friends and we got high very quickly. We placed the leaves in this sheet of paper like in cigarettes and rolled it into a nice thin tube. As soon as we lit it up, we took turns in smoking it and from there it was all smoke, laughter, red eyes, talking gibberish and all that kind of stuff. It was actually fun and I’ve had more after that and tried also different kinds like space brownies and a bong. But I never got addicted to it, it was more of a way to distress during college and I have never tried anything other than pot.
  13. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I was 13 and visiting my cousin in California. It was dirt weed and had absolutely no effect on me. I started smoking everyday when I was about 15.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think I must have been about sixteen or seventeen when I first tried it but I was pretty much on and off it for many years. I remember trying a cigarette when I was fourteen and it was horrible but then I started smoking regularly when I was sixteen. From the age of about seventeen to eighteen I smoked marijuana regularly in college then I stopped for a year or two and eventually started up again when I moved in with someone who smoked it daily. Then when I left I stopped again.
  15. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

I believe I was 18 when I smoked marijuana for the first time. It was with a few close friends and we had some fun and then went home as if nothing had happened. It was good bud, or at least I think it was.
  16. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I was actually really old enough, 27! But it didn't do anything bad to me though. I never even was addicted to it. I haven't even smoked one for more than a year now.
  17. I don't know if this is true or not but I've read and heard from therapists that at whatever age you start smoking, your mind stays at that age. Even though you may age and mature in your body and life decisions, your mentality and personality, for the most part, stays stuck there.

Like I said don't know how true it is but it's food for thought.
  18. I just realized I didn't answer the question. I don't want to say the exact age for some reason. I was in my twenties and accomplished career wise. Though I believe starting triggered an identity crisis. I was raised so-called better than to become a pot smoker. It didn't make sense to those who really knew me which in turn lead me on quite the journey. No real regrets though. I'm in a good place now and its probably due to the struggles it helped trigger. My strength was put to the test. I believe I passed.
  19. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

The first time I smoked marijuana was when I was about 10 years old. My reason for doing it so young was because of the negative influences around me and my curiosity to try it out. I didn't like how it felt has I was coughing and my chest hurt and from that day I have never smoked marijuana again.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I was only 16 that time. I knew someone that also knew someone who sold them, so I bought from that person using my classmate. It's actually a bit weird when the weed seller wanted to meet me after buying for the 1st time.