An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How old were you when you had your first drink?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Joethefirst, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

I remember trying wine when I was around 5 at a family meeting. My grandpa used to make, and still makes a lot of wine which he loves sharing with the entire family. He told me to have a taste, and I hated the strong taste which had no comparison back then. It was just weirdly different from anything else I've tried.
  2. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I had my first drink when I was 2 years old from one of my uncles (my favorite uncle), and it wasn't so much a drink but a taste of it(beer), to ease my curiosity I guess, The next time I tried it was when I was 17 at prom. It was Bacardi Lemon. It was alright. I thought it was going to be cooler though, since a lot of the other kids I knew where always trying to find ways to score some liquor.
  3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I'm really surprised that I waited as long as I did. I had my first drink at the age of 21. I waited until my 21st birthday to have my first legal drink. It was more of a game to me than anything. I liked the idea of telling people that I waited until I was of legal age. I look back on it and it was a weird kind of OCD I had.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Every year at Christmas time my old man who was an alcoholic allowed us to drink. The first time I drank alcohol, enough to get me drunk, was when I was about 6 years old but I'm certain that I had my first taste of alcohol when I was younger. Not great parenting :(
  5. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Hard to tell. I'm sure I had sips of beer before I was ten, but those were tiny incidents that slipped my mind a long time ago. The first conscious time I remember drinking was at seventeen, and I started with vodka. Not a good idea, but, uh, drinking at seventeen isn't a great idea anyway, so...
  6. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I was very young indeed when I had my first drink, because my grandparents always let me have a sip of whatever they were drinking when they were babysitting me. It meant that I didn't rebel with alcohol when I was a teenager, which was nice, but then later in life I developed a problem. I suppose I could have developed it much sooner if they hadn't allowed me to drink in this way.
  7. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

I was 21 when I had one. It was a typical day out with all of my friends and I just wanted to try one just like all of them. It didn't end on a bad note and was quite successful. I took a fair bit of it but wasn't overdosed and it was not an experience I regret.
  8. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

18. In tech school dorms. Had two shots of Bacardi 151 mixed in with my root beer.

Don't know if the resulting buzz was really the alcohol or just placebo, but it was an entertaining night. I did puke.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Having alcoholic parents, I drank my first glass of wine when I was six and instantly threw up. I could not understand how they liked it and thought they were actually enjoying puking. Ironically, I ended up being just like them, becoming what I feared the most.
  10. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I was 12 years old. My family gave me vodka and orange juice to drink. I remember being sick for two days from it. I also remember loving how it made me feel for a few hours though.
  11. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

I was 21 years old when I had my first drink. It was a Corona Extra. I personally have never really been a fan of drinking. I just thought it would be something new and interesting to try. The taste came as quite of a shock to me, because obviously I had never really had any form of alcohol before this. The taste to me was quite bitter with s hint of something good. Personally I didn't really have a problem with the taste of the beer. It was actually just very different.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I was really young but it wasn't enough to get me drunk. I really didn't start getting drunk until I was in my late teens. I don't drink to get drunk anymore, because being drunk messes with your judgment. I've even heard alot of other people say they have made some of the worst decisions when drunk. A little taste never hurt me tho.
  13. jwmann2

jwmann2 Member

First beer without my parents knowing; 16. First sip of alcohol given to me from a parent because I was curious: 10.
  14. x9859x

x9859x Member

When I had my first drink I was around 16 years old. I went to a party with my cousins and pretty much just got the drink myself. I remember myself feeling different. I wasn't uptight anymore like how I usually am. I enjoyed how I felt and allowed myself to continue to drink for about another year. After a year of drinking, I was constantly forgetting things, getting angry at people who love me, and was just feeling very unproductive. I attempted to stop drinking but it wasn't until I almost committed suicide that I really tried to stop drinking. From about 17 years old during May of 2011 to now I am completely sober and I am happy about my choice.
  15. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I don't really remember, but I guess it happened when I was around 11 years old. My dad used to smoke, and just wanted to have a taste glimpse of a cigarette. I liked it, haha. And from there on, I smoked for the next 9 years and quit. It just wasn't worth the health risks and the financial side as well. Would use the money more savvily in a different way.
  16. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

My parents allowed me to try beer (light beer) and wine from a young age to get me used to having alcohol with meals. I would guess the first time that I had an alcoholic drink on my own without my parents permission, I was 12 years old. I would sneak into their liquor cabinet and take nips of brandy. The first time I got drunk, I was 14. I stole two bottles of wine from my parents and consumed them within a couple of hour period. I definitely believe that the young ages at which I tried alcoholic beverages definitely contributed to my later addiction.
  17. rikka

rikka Member

I cannot remember when I first started drinking, but the first time I got drunk was when I was 18 years old, and it was because of the Christmas fruitcake, that cake with the brandy. I thought it was bitter, but I liked it nonetheless. The next I tried was gin, but I don't like it because it tasted like cough medicine. That is why I never was enamored to drinking. Thanks to my allergies, too, I never get addicted to drinking at all.
  18. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

I was very young when I had my first alcohol that I can remember. I can remember my parents giving me beer with sugar in in it when I was probably no more than five or six. I didn't like the taste of the beer so they put sugar in it. It was likely Christmas Eve or New Years when that happened because beer was the beverage of the meal for Christmas and New Years. The I don't remember anything outstanding until I was 11 and I sneaked a drink of Gin or something like it (something 40 percent anyway) and it was enough to make me feel profoundly different. Enough so that it made a deep impression on me. I'm sure if that episode hadn't happened I wouldn't have had quite the love and awe for the substance.
  19. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

I really don't remember, but I'm sure I pestered my parents enough one time when I was slightly over 10 years old for them to let me taste the beer they were drinking. It was really disappointing!
  20. dream01maker

dream01maker Member

I was around 15 years old. It was at my best friends birthday party. When everyone left her mom let us drink some since she could be there to "supervise". Lol. It was a good time, it led to me throwing up in clothes and a busted lip. Lol.