An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How old were you when you had your first drink?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Joethefirst, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

I'm nоt rеаlly surе, but prеtty yоung, I imаginе. My pаrеnts wеrе nоt thе stоdgy, bоring, pоlitiсаlly соrrесt pаrеnts yоu sее tоdаy. It wаs а fаmily trаditiоn thаt еvеry Сhristmаs аftеr Midnight Mаss оr bеfоrе wе wеnt tо bеd, thеy lеt us hаvе а smаll highbаll. I'm surе thеrе wаs nоt thаt muсh liquоr in it, but it is pаrt оf my сhеrishеd Сhristmаs mеmоriеs. Аlsо, nоw аnd thеn, wе usеd tо tаkе а littlе swig оf my dаd's bееr. I didn't rеаlly саrе fоr bееr muсh bасk thеn, аnd it's still nоt my first сhоiсе fоr аlсоhоliс bеvеrаgе tоdаy, but I hаvе оnе еvеry nоw аnd thеn. Nеithеr I nоr аny оf my 3 siblings bесаmе аlсоhоliсs lаtеr in lifе аnd wе аrе аll оvеr thе аgе оf 35 nоw.
  2. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I can't truly remember but growing up on Jamaica I would say is so different from many other places. I knew when I was a toddler my grandpa used to put lil sips in my mouth and this seemed like the norm among us. Growing up and realizing the dangers I prevented my child from becoming as exposed as I was from such a tender age.
  3. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I didn't have my first real drink until I was 18. I can't speak for everyone, but that maybe why I don't really drinking issues. I never developed the taste for alcohol as a child, so I never really felt enticed to drink heavily. It seems like a common them that those that began drinking at an early age are more likely to have drinking problems.
  4. nick92

nick92 Member

I remember myself sipping some wine from my father's glass when I was about 14 years old I suppose. This was as a curiosity. I didn't like it though.
  5. BradR

BradR Member

I was quite late on having my first drink as it never really appealed to me as a youngster but I think my first drink was around 18 - 19 when I went to a party and a friend of mine just offered me one and I thought, "Why not?". Since then, I tend to have a few at every party I go to, maybe even getting a bit tipsy in the process.
  6. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Once, my friends forcibly took me in a bar club. I think my age was around 17-18 when I first drank it. I was not at all interested in drinking alcohol but my friends mixed alcohol with cold-drink and slowly, I became less conscious of myself and did many childish activities on that day. The taste of alcohol was very weird for me when I drank it for the first time.
  7. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I took My first drink at the tender age of eight. My family has this "the we'd rather u do it with us" mentality. My uncle is well known for his awesome parties. After years of watching the adults and older kids drink their beer and fruity drink mixes, I decided I wanted to try. Beer was so gross, but the Tequila Sunrise became my all time favorite. My uncle allowed me to have a couple of drinks, and I've been full steam ahead ever since.
  8. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

First serious drinking was after the prom ball or whatever the thing after you finish primary school is. I was 14 and on the party we had only sodas and some juices. It was boring. The hormones were raging and we managed to buy several bottles of red wine while returning home. We drank it on the street and had fun. It was very non violent and relaxing. People who saw us were pleasantly amused and even the cops didn't make a fuss about it. I continued the trend to this date of being a funny guy and a lot of fun to be with when drunk. I never got aggressive and I like that. Sometimes funny sometimes sad.
  9. monty

monty Active Contributor

I think in my teenage when I and my friends were doing new year's party then I took but I don't like that and I had vomited that night
  10. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

I had my first beer when I was 11 years old. It was more like an experimentation because I was curious. I was revolted by the taste and I didn't understand why adults drink it so much.
    I had my first sip of scotch when I was 14. I had an actual binge drink session when I was 17 and the experience was horrible. I had a terrible hangover and was really embarrassed in front of my friends but later on everything started going pretty well. I started to understand my limits.
  11. monty

monty Active Contributor

When I was in adolescence and pretty young then in a party where all my friends were gathered and did party together and there I drank and had my first drink.It really sucks and the taste was very bad and rubbish.I decided not to take alcohol again.
  12. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

I was around the age of 11 when I had my first beer. My parents gave me a little sip to see if I liked it. I hated the taste of alcohol and I still do. I prefer champagne or smear off. I was pretty young when I had my first alcohol.
  13. ThomasCard

ThomasCard Member

I think I was around 13 or maybe 14. My buddy and I got out hands on a couple tallboys and after finishing those we decided were 'wasted.' After that we found a booter and he would get us beers and rum whenever we wanted, man, those summers spent skateboarding around, drinking, and playing hooky from school were good times. But hey, we all have to get real at some point or another, those days are long gone!
  14. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I had my first sip of beer when I was around 8 years old. My grandma gave me a sip of my uncle's beer and got a kick out of the way I made a sour face. Then I started drinking harder stuff at my friend's houses when I was around 10. I was taking sips of beer before class in middle school and drinking kaluha mud slides after school in high school.
  15. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Well, I had my first sip when I was 6 or 7. My dad had left his drink unattended when I walked into my parents bedroom one night when I couldn't sleep for some reason. But, I started drinking drinking when I was 16.
  16. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

It was a lousy evening if I remember correctly the exact date of this was 17th September 1993, I remember this correctly because it happened when a lot of stuff was going on through my life and I didn't know what to do with my life at all and so I went and tried a lot of alcohol with friends at first it was fun, life of excessive drinking but it all stopped when my friend got into a car crash and it blew our mind, that's why it reminds of that date, I have to clarify that this accident did not happen that date but we all reminded when we started to drink and stuff, that's why I remember this date a lot.
  17. WannaBfree

WannaBfree Active Contributor

I started drinking at age 12...heavily. Have stopped intermittently, but never achieved more than 6 months sobriety. I am on Day 4 now, with the hopes this can become a lasting achievement for life...one day at a time.
  18. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

I was 14. Started with wine colors and then led to harder stuff. I used to hang out with an older crowd. Actually I remember tasting my dad's beer when I was younger than that but it wasn't drinking. That was more like a sip. I don't remember how old I was though.