An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Possible?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by darkrebelchild, Mar 31, 2016.

1. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

"Here is a solution to the American drug problem suggested a couple of years back by the wife of our President: "Just say No"". - Kurt Vonnegut Bluebeard
  2. monty

monty Active Contributor

Yes! I agree with you @darkrebelchild that if anyone decided to quit any bad habit than you should stick with your decision and don't lose your balance and concentration because there are many people that will say that you are wrong and you will not able to succeed in your life but don't react immediately and give them answer with your success and your stickiness with that object to gain something, whatever it costs.Just have the Courage to take right steps.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It is easier said then done for so many people. It sounds easy enough but some people really struggle with saying "No." Once you can learn to stand up and believe in yourself then it becomes a lot easier! Great post!
    kassie1234 likes this.
  4. Villiam

Villiam Member

Just saying no is effective, yet at the same time, misleading. Many other factors lead people to make the decisions that they do, and this whole campaign can be very misleading.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

Sometimes saying "no" is what makes people want to do it even more. I know, because I'm one of those people. I remember the thrill I had when I started smoking without my parents knowing. Getting up late at night to smoke was an exciting thing for me. When they caught me, smoking wasn't so much fun anymore.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As others have said, just saying no is a lot easier said than done.

A lot of people who take drugs or alcohol at an early age are impressionable and will feel pressured into taking things. They'll see that just saying no, won't get them any friends so they'd rather say yes, and not worry about the consequences.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Lol, in theory it could work and that is what people need to say when they are offered drugs, but in practice is not so simple. Ah, this woman must have had her mind in a different time, our society is not the same it was some years ago... it's getting worse and worse, the loss of all those moral and ethical values are going to end up destroying us all. If not just read what is going on in our world right now...
  8. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

it is not easy because strong people and secure people do not take drugs in the first place. Drug addicts are usually weak and troubled persons who feel insecure about most things in their life although they look normal and okay. I have met several and I myself had problems with alcohol but I was lucky to be sane enough and fight it.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

True that it is easier said than done but it is really possible. Say No and be firmed with that no matter what they say or will think of you. As some might bully or call you names when you say No or even think that you are not someone they can get along with on their bad vices.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm not sure if I agree that all the people who take drugs are weak and vulnerable as I myself know quite a few that are strong willed and headstrong, just unfortunately in the wrong way.
  11. Villiam

Villiam Member

Exactly, you can't just group everyone into a weak and vulnerable mindset. Many people take drugs for many reasons. You can't predict this kind of thing
  12. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately, people get into drugs for a wide assortment of reasons, some of which are out of there control. Some people get hooked on prescription drugs that were prescribed by their doctors and were needed to relieve pain after a surgery or injury.
  13. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

This just proves that there's no need for fancy words and thoughts in order to cut down on alcohol intake at all. If something's bad for you, and you somehow realize it, then there's no need for someone to talk you through the downsides permanently whatsoever. Try to make some sense out of the situation yourself. Trust me, it helps, and it's definitely not a cliche!!!
  14. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Yes, I agree. Saying 'No' will definately help if you have a strong will power. Whenever the urge comes in my mind, I just say 'Not Today'. This helps me a lot. You can also try that. This will help you to maintain your streak.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Sometimes it isn't just as easy as saying no. Take for example people who drink alcohol because they are battling depression. Maybe it's because they lost a loved one. This person can't just wish away their depression. They'll need to find better ways to cope with depression and afterwards, they could say "no" to alcohol.

Deal with the underlying issues first then say no 'else your enthusiasm for change will flag real fast.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This was a slogan used in the war against drugs in the 80's. This sounds like a good idea but didn't work for many people. I think bringing awareness about the dangers of every drug would be effective. When I was a teen and aware of the dangers of crack after seeing family members on it I stayed away. Nothing deters you away from something more than seeing the negative effects of it.
  17. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Аmеriсаns аrе gаthеring thе соurаgе tо just sаy nо. Wе аrе sаying nо tо аddiсtivе соnsumеr lifеstylеs. Wе аrе sаying nо tо wаrs аnd соrpоrаtе tаkеоvеr аnd thе IMF lоаns thаt gоbblе up pеоplе аnd thеir rеsоurсеs
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

So true! It sounds easy in theory to just say no, but there's more factors to it. Certainly, I wish I'd had the self confidence and foresight to have just said no initially, but I didn't - but like you said once you believe in yourself and can stand up for yourself it's absolutely easier :)