An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How safe is electronic cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by explorerx7, Feb 26, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I have seen a television newscast footage, where a person had an electronic cigarette in his pocket, which suddenly caught fire, an extinguisher was used to douse the flame. I am not sure if he had received burns to his body or not. He was inside the store at the gas station at the time, and I am wondering what would have happened if he was at one of the pumps.
    I have heard of other problems with these items before and, this incident should really raise concern about its safety.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Wow this is the first time I have heard of something like that happening. When they launched the first e-cigarettes they were very good quality and expensive. Since vaping has taken off there have been more and more cheap knock offs getting into the market. It's not surprising that sooner or later something like this would happen.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Yeah I've heard a lot of stories about these things exploding. This story is one of the worst ones yet. I think at this point they should ban e-cigarettes because there to dangerous. Something that's a explosive is never a safe alternative for anything. They should have not even started putting these things out if they knew this would happen.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

They are not very safe. There have been studies done where they show they lead to some sort of lung disease. It is just one of the products that people hoped were safer than cigarettes, but even though they may be more socially acceptable they are not necessarily safer. Also, the battery exploding thing is concerning as well.
  5. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Many people believe that e cigarette is a good alternative to cigarette because it is less addictive and less harmful. However, those who have tried this say that it is as addictive as normal cigarette and it also contain harmful substances.
  6. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

From personal research due to desiring to help family members, e-ciggarettes are generally less damaging to health thannormal cigarettes, however, that's not where the problem lies, the problem is the e-cigarette itself is quite risky as it can explode any time and cause injury. All smoking is bad, but if you're doing a comparison, every single thing has its own negatives.
  7. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I bought a $10 e-cigarette from a friend when I was 16, I smoked for about a month and then it got boring, so I threw it away and forgot about it. I never saw any difference in my health and I haven't smoked anything ever since. They're decent alternatives to smoking and I assume they are healthier, especially if the only thing you're putting in it is some flavoring. There are communities out there who take "vaping" seriously and have all sorts of modifications and features on their prized e-cigarettes. I don't personally care for things like that but some people do it as a hobby. It's not that dangerous if you're careful and know what you're doing. But not smoking at all is the way to go.
  8. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I have heard negatives and positives about e-cigarettes. It wouldn't be my choice to have something like that in my mouth that has the slightest possibility of exploding. It would be way to close to your eyes and nose. If you have long hair that can catch fire too. Not for me.
  9. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I certainly don't think they are a perfect product but in comparison to traditional cigarettes, it's a night and day difference. I used an e cigarette to quit smoking and it worked perfectly for me. The danger of these devices exploding or burning someone is so much less than the danger of an actual lit cigarette causing fires it's not even a comparison. As a harm reduction device, these are amazing and the more people who can switch from traditional cigarettes to these the better!

They get a lot of bad press but there is a lot of big business that suffers the more market share these get - not only from the cigarette companies, but the taxes on them, nicotine replacement therapies, Chantix, etc... there are a lot of groups that would like to see these banned and it has nothing to do with helping smokers or improving public health.
    MrsJones likes this.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I have read this too, the reason it has taken off is because you can smoke it anywhere because what you are inhaling is water vapor and not smoke. This doesn't mean that it doesn't have any long term side effects.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

No, they are not safe. Whilst this is the first time I've heard about this specific case, I do know of many others. One person was put in hospital after an e-cigarette broke on him and poured hot nicotine down his throat resulting in him having a hole burned in his lung. There was also a case recently of a teenager who was using one which exploded and left him with burn scars on his face. Add all this to the fact that they still contain nicotine and that youngsters are mixing it with energy drinks and drinking it to get high and you can pretty much conclude that e-cigarettes are not safe. That's despite the UK's claim that e-cigarettes are 95% less harmful than normal cigarettes. Yeah, right!
  12. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

They are far from perfect but I think they are safer than the actual cigarettes. Most of these incidents are due to misuse of the e-cigarettes. Whatever equipments one uses and does not use as was intended by the manufacturer will cause harm to themselves. Sometimes we jump to conclusions about certain products based on one person's experience not even knowing the true cause. I myself was quick to judge at first.