An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to cope with triggers

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carnold23, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

There are many things for me which seem to trigger me wanting to smoke. Some of those things are :
    Eating. Everytime I finish a meal I want to smoke.
    Coffee. For me whenever I have coffee I automatically want to smoke. Many years of habit.
    Being on the phone. I always want to smoke when I'm on the phone. I used to chain smoke all the time on the phone.
    How do you deal with these things when they always make you want to smoke? I would rather not use nicotine replacement therapy.
    Any ideas?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The triggers for me was the hardest thing to deal with because as a smoker its a set routine you get in to.

I had a cigarette when I woke up, with a coffee and after meals and one before bed.

Doing then things without a cigarette made the cravings even worse at first but you do gradually get used to it over time
  3. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

The internet has a myriad of options to deal with cravings and triggers. I have the same triggers as you do; I smoke whenever I need to step outside and use the phone, after eating, and when I'm stressed out. Some tricks I have learned are to find habits or quirks to replace smoking. You can brush your teeth or chew some gum after eating, and look towards meditation and other methods to deal with stress.

Another interesting tip I read was to eat salt. Whenever you crave a smoke, just get a pinch of salt and put it on your tongue. The strong taste will kill your cravings and prevent the urge to smoke. When I'm stressed it doesn't help much, but if I'm smoking out of boredom or for any other reason, it usually does the trick.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This just reinforces the idea that tobacco smoking is 99% psychological. I think all that is necessary to cope with triggers is remember why you stop smoking in the first place. Simply replace that negative thought with a positive one.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. – Aristotle

You'll need a new replacement habit . . .something positive you'll do at times when you used to smoke. What activity would effectively replace smoking temporarily to keep your mind off smoking?

Find something, an anchor that will ground you so each time you face the triggers you'll have something else to do or think about.
  6. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Drinking tеа оr соffее, sitting dоwn tо а сосktаil оr glаss оf winе, driving in thе саr, gеtting uр during intеrmissiоn аt а соnсеrt, сhесking еmаil, fееling bоrеd, tаlking оn thе tеlерhоnе -- аll оf thеm саn triggеr а роwеrful urgе tо smоkе. Bеing аngry оr undеr strеss саn triggеr а сrаving tо smоkе. But еvеn роsitivе fееlings оf hаррinеss оr рlеаsurе саn bе triggеrs.
  7. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I'm not speaking from my own experience, but that of a friend's. He once told me that whenever he experienced a trigger, he acknowledged the fact that it was just a temptation, not a reason to smoke again. A replacement habit is one good way to kick off the triggers over time. Just know that its a temptation and stray away from getting that inclination to smoke again by thinking of something else. Finding alternative things to do after a trigger is a good, excuse the pun, alternative. Good luck.
  8. blenly

blenly Member

I dealt with triggers head on - I didn't drink coffee for about a week, I avoided friends and colleagues who were smokers and if I was walking on the street and I saw a person walking towards me smoking I would cross over to the other side. I also made sure that I didn't fall prey to a trigger by not carrying money to buy cigarettes.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

My fiance feels the need to start his day with a smoke almost every morning. He also likes to smoke a cig before going to bed, if he can't sleep he might smoke an extra one. It's awful. I can taste the cigarette when I kiss him, and his whole body and clothes reek of it. It's awful.