An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to Deal With Depression?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by crc3thebest, Mar 17, 2015.

1. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

How does one deal with the depression that arises on a day to day basis from the effects of overcoming addiction? For me it becomes very hard and painful to not give in. At times it feels like I am hurting myself even more.
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Coping with depression can be the hardest thing somebody can do in life, even more so when its because they are recovering from an addiction.

Personally the help, support and medication didn't work for me, the only way i got through it was to have faith in myself and determination. When you get to a point where you find it hard to even look at yourself in the mirror, that's when you know you have to pick yourself up and do whatever it takes to get back to your normal self.

Some people may be stronger than others but I believe that anybody can beat depression, its how much you want to that's the question...
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  3. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Talk to someone about your feelings, they will hopefully listen to you and help you out. If you are out of reach of anyone, go do something that you enjoy to do. It may be biking, basketball, hockey, whatever works best for you! Doing these activities will get your mind off the what is making you depressed and explore your inner self as well as the outside world.
  4. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

I have found that in cases of addiction whether it be to alcohol, drugs or even tobacco, one of the most helpful things a person can do is to meditate on what their mindset was like before they became addicted. In other words, what was it like when you didn't think about that next high, or that next cigarette? Imagine going through every day thinking about everything EXCEPT the offending substance. If you can get back to that in your mind, it might help. I wish you well.
  5. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

Absolutely agree with this. Even if you don't feel like talking, just being AROUND someone you trust can do wonders for opening yourself back up. Diving into some sort of activity can also be an effective treatment, even if its something you never expected it would be. I had a friend who took solace in learning how to knit, just because it made her focus on something other than her thoughts. Finding something that occupies your time and demands your focus could be a helpful measure.
  6. allswl

allswl Member

it is good that you have recognised your problem as many people are not able to do so without help, if at all. I agree with the suggestion above about talking to someone. Now that will only truly only work if you are brutally honest with the person you are talking to. Also speak to someone who is experienced in what you are going through. You can also try focusing on the things that you are passionate about and busy yourself and life with them.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It's only natural that you feel down from time to time when you're overcoming an addiction to a substance. Some feel down all the time, like I did, when I gave up drinking. The main thing to understand is that you are not hurting yourself when you let your mind and body do what they need to do, which is basically having a rest and sorting things out in their own time.
  8. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

Be with someone you can trust and someone that is close to you. It makes me happier. I was with an abusive mother but once I got tooken to a foster family, I knew I could trust them and they saved me from my depression. Laughing is also a very good cure for depression because it makes you realize that you have more to live for.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I would always find a hobby or something useful, like starting a business, so that I had something else to focus on and think about. Once you have that sense of responsibility or that hobby to keep your mind occupied, it not only helps take your mind off the addiction, but also means you are being more productive and therefore you can know in the back of your mind that what you are doing will be a lot more beneficial in the long run than relapsing. If you can keep building and building on that thing, whatever it is, eventually you will reach a point where you have no choice but to not be depressed and you won't want to go back to your addictions because you will have too much to lose. NLP is something which helped me accomplish this in my own life.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I coped with depression by finding something to do. I picked up on a lot of hobbies, I started travelling and to put things into perspective I started to form new relationships.
    I also started to read a lot of books and got a pet. Getting a pet makes you more responsible and also more happy.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Hobbies worked for me too. I really think working out was also a big thing in keeping me both occupied and getting the endorphins flowing. I know in the initial stages it's hard to have any motivation to get out there and work out but even a walk or something is good. Around the block, then build up to more when you feel up to it.
  12. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

I think that seeking professional medical help is super important. The brain is an organ, like the heart and the lungs, and so it has to be kept after and maintained similarly. Also you should talk as much as possible with someone you trust and can confide in. This can be a friend, a family member, a therapist - no matter. As long as you can get to somebody where they won't take your depression as taboo, then I think you're going to get better.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think getting to the core of your depression is key, so you know exactly what to tackle and thus would be able to understand and possibly solve your problem more efficiently. If it's due to some repressed memories of the past coming to haunt you subliminally, or if it's just your present environment, you should try and find some peace and quiet to be able to view your situation more objectively and pinpoint the source of your negative emotions.
  14. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I start my day with a handful of mental health medications for one. I truly believe in a great support network is a great way to deal with depression, my husband, family and friends have all been my rock. Them combined with my doctor and websites and forums like these it does help a lot. It is nice to know you are not alone on this path, that someone can really "understand" the situation and not just empathize with you.
  15. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. What I found out was that my body was normal without this substance and so to have been exposed to it, my body did some adjusting. With time, your body will readjust back to normalcy, to where it was before drugs was introduced to it. However, as always, there is a price to pay for recovery and the daily aches and cravings represent this price. You'll overcome it though. I did exercising, sometimes fasting (going without food), and just kept myself preoccupied with things that would hold my interest during the entire day.
  16. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

You have to find something to that would help occupy your mind or become physically active. I volunteered at recovery groups to talk about these difficult issues and I also turned to the gym and weird but indoor racquetball. I found that, like you I felt like I was only hurting myself more so I figured I would hurt myself in a positive way.

Indoor racquetball is a fast paced action sport that you can play alone or with up to 4 people. I often play alone at the gym and I take my aggression out on the little ball. He has no escape and since I play after a good workout, I am pumped in a positive way which makes me happy.
    PrideKidd likes this.
  17. AgentofC

AgentofC Member

Acceptance of what you're going through right now is a great first step. I think you should build the right mindset next. Everyday will be a constant battle with your mind. It will help if you identify the reasons WHY you want to stop and WHAT can be the possible benefits. Don't just think about it - Write it down and post it on your wall. For example, if someone inspires you, you can post in your wall so that you get to see it everyday. It will remind you of why and what you are fighting for.
    PrideKidd likes this.
  18. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I agree that you have to occupy your time with. Having too much down time can cause one to get too bored and slip into old habits. Now that it is getting nice out, I suggest getting outdoors. The fresh air and sun can do you a world of good. Any active sport is nice way to fill the void. I personally like to Kayak. :)
  19. janiruchan

janiruchan Member

One of the best way for me to counter depression is basically to talk to another person who is compassionate of my condition. Second would be to deal with the issues that is keeping me depressed. Of course, this is easier said than done. This step would take up so much honesty and self-struggle to accept ones pain and wounds. Third would be to constantly update loved ones about what one is going through. The last would be to find some ways to be busy, to make oneself productive and alive, while emotionally fighting the haunt inside.
    PrideKidd likes this.
  20. PerkyNorm4u

PerkyNorm4u Member

When you have depression, you can find ways to take control of your life and manage your treatment even beyond medications. Making some lifestyle changes can boost your mood and help alleviate many of your symptoms, including low self-esteem. "Minimizing stress as much as possible is a good idea when you're depressed, especially unnecessary or avoidable stressors that people can be pulled into when they're depressed," says Erik Nelson, MD, a psychiatrist and assistant professor of clinical psychiatry at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in Ohio.
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/depression-photos/ways-to-cope-with-depression.aspx