An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to Deal With Depression?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by crc3thebest, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Nomore141

Nomore141 Member

I personally find it best to confront depression head on and explore the feeling when it hits. I know this might sound counter intuitive but I found that I was a lot better able to handle depression and make progress on my own rather than with friends/family. When you're with people, it certainly takes the edge off but the problem is that it doesn't really go away, it just moves to the background. And then when you're alone, it all comes crashing down even harder.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Actually I’m inclined to agree with you on this. Others can have a positive effect, but I was always the one who had to do the work to fight my depression. Still am, when it hits. Which happens with less frequency these days.

For me, what worked best in conjunction with that was another thing that may sound counterintuitive - I first accepted that I was depressed, and then I let myself feel angry at the situation. There were times that anger was directed at myself, but I realized that’s a self-destructive thought pattern. It turned into feeling angry because I knew it wasn’t the way I should be living; I wasn’t born to be miserable. It can be an exhausting strategy, but eventually I learned to channel my anger into making solid positive changes in my life. Still an ongoing road, but I know I’ve made progress, and I don’t plan on stopping any time soon.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  3. Chriswriter

Chriswriter Member

You must have a good support network around you. It's going to be difficult and without help you won't do it. I want to echo another poster on this topic who said you must put yourself in the place you where in before addiction. This was the single most important factor in my successful recovery. I started doing things I used to do before I became addicted, and when doing them I could remember my life before. It was better.
    crc3thebest and pineywood like this.
  4. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

I personally try to stay active. Being stagnant during treatment or recovery is something all of us have been through. I love sports , especially soccer. I forget about everything when I'm on that field. So far, being active has been the most helpful thing for me. Hope that helps a little!
    crc3thebest likes this.
  5. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Diving into some sort of activity can also be an effective treatment, even if its something you never expected it would be. I had a friend who took solace in learning how to knit, just because it made her focus on something other than her thoughts. Finding something that occupies your time and demands your focus could be a helpful measure.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  6. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

"Minimizing stress as much as possible is a good idea when you're depressed, especially unnecessary or avoidable stressors that people can be pulled into when they're depressed," says Erik Nelson, MD, a psychiatrist and assistant professor of clinical psychiatry at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in Ohio.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  7. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Run through the cheap, simple steps first.

* Exercise every day and get the feel-goods (dopamine) going. Just a walk, perhaps.

* Accomplish a little thing every day - writing a poem, clearing out the long-neglected closet, building a budget, SOMETHING.

* Cut out the junk food.

* Same with the caffeine. You're paying for it with more depression during the crash.

* Also, drink eight glasses of water a day. Nobody does this.

After this stuff, you can start thinking about the bigger guns. But it's stuff like this that helped me. At the very least, it taught me that willpower accomplishes something and prepared me for more.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  8. kokosflocken

kokosflocken Member

I think having a pet would really help. Plus, having a dog forces you to take it out for physical exercise, and sunshine and fresh air along with exercise is a great combination. Another thing I would recommend is trying out a new hobby, such as learning an instrument. Music is very healing, and learning it gives you a feeling of achievement that is hard to beat.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  9. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think the key here is focus. You need to reaffirm your commitment in regard to overcoming addiction. You must realize that it won't be a walk in the park but that it will require continuous sacrifice and commitment. But at the end of the day you must realize that all the sacrifices that you made will be worth it.
  10. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Dealing with depression is also a great deal, no matter the drug you want to quit, you'll always have to deal with depression. Probably the best way to do so is simply to start going to a gym, start living a healthy life and go for a run as much as you can, when you run your body signals the brain to create serotonin which one of the happiness hormone, even though you won't get the same "high" it would help you manage your depression.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think what it takes to overcome depression is different for different people. However, it is important that you don't isolate yourself and participate in activities that make you feel good. This is something to start with. Practice different methods of coping with your depression until you find something that works for you. There is something out there that will help you feel empowered and optimistic again.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  12. Lizzy19ph

Lizzy19ph Member

Depression comes and goes and the person suffering from it needs much understanding from people around him especially his loved ones. It has something to do with hormonal imbalance and his life would greatly be affected by it. I believe being surrounded by positive people and engaging in worthwhile recreation can help one suffering from depression.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You know depression is an interesting thing actually. There is nothing really wrong with it. It is just that society has placed such a huge label on it.
    A food journal can actually help with that. Sometimes different things other that we think can really trigger that. Allergies to things can actually cause really bad depression. Isolating your diet and paying attention to how you respond to different things can shed a whole new perspective on it.
    crc3thebest likes this.
  14. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

Great way of understanding!
  15. crc3thebest

Great advice!
  16. crc3thebest

Looking into other activities works like a charm!
  17. lilfaerie28

lilfaerie28 Active Contributor

Depression is a horrible feeling. I have had really bad luck with prescription anti-depressants. I try to push myself everyday. I tell myself that I won't always feel this way, no matter how hopeless I feel. Sometimes it takes time and sometimes it takes pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. People and situations are different.
  18. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Been dealing with depression for as long as I can remember and I can say Charli gave an excellent advice, you need to recognize the root of your problem and deal with it.
  19. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

I know how hard it is to live with depression on a daily basis. I am considered indigent as I was homeless and just staying with friends right now because I have no income but there are usually places within your city that will offer free therapy especially if you are thinking of harming yourself or going back to using. It only takes a phone call to find out. I did it and am so very grateful that I did. It is life saving. We all need to be able to have someone to talk to when we feel this way. Hang in there and I wish you the best!
  20. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I don't know how to beat my depression, but I think getting done what I want to get done and fulfilling my wishes really helps me lighten up but the problem is no matter how much you got, you're going to want more. so I should make realistic goals instead of unrealistic ones.