An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to Deal With Depression?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by crc3thebest, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Depression terrifies me. I can deal with anger and anxiety muuuuch better than sadness. We are mortal enemies. I still suffer with chronic depression but i try to stay busy. i refuse to take any pills for it.
  2. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Dерrеssiоn еvоkеs bеhаviоurs in реорlе whiсh tеnd tо сut thеm оff frоm thе оutsidе wоrld. Аs а rеsult thеy саn bесоmе mоrе withdrаwn аnd lеss tаlkаtivе оr sосiаblе.This dеvеlорs intо а viсiоus сyсlе whеrе thе lеss timе thе dерrеssеd реrsоn sреnds with оthеrs, thе lеss timе thеy wаnt tо sреnd with оthеrs.Соnnесtiоn is оnе оf thе six bаsiс еmоtiоnаl nееds аnd whеn dерrеssiоn tаkеs hоld it is оftеn thе nееd thаt gеts mоst nеglесtеd in fаvоur оf sаtisfying thе nееd fоr соmfоrt thrоugh isоlаtiоn.Whеn thе first signs оf dерrеssiоn арреаr it is imроrtаnt tо sреnd mоrе timе сultivаting rеlаtiоnshiрs with fаmily, lоvеd оnеs аnd friеnds, fоr thеsе аrе thе vеry реорlе whо will bе thеrе fоr thе individuаl аs thеir suрроrt nеtwоrk.
  3. pierrerodman

pierrerodman Member

This may not be received well, but I received strength from attending my local church and pursuing a deeper spiritual relationship with God. I recognized that I was not in control, but that I needed a higher power to help me get through some days. This helped me cope with the days a felt really depressed. Years later and I still find motivation and strength through a spiritual life.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hey, @pierrerodman. It doesn't matter what other people think of your method. If it works for you, that's the most important thing. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting motivation and strength from a spiritual life. God is good, my friend!
  5. amr13

amr13 Member

When looking for ways to cope with depression it can be difficult especially when the answers seem to be the same and those solutions don't work for you. It is good that you can recognize and admit that you are depressed because many people including myself wouldn't do so. You should definitely talk to someone on a regular basis but I know that is one of the many answers you have already heard and actually probably knew before even posting in here. Every person is different meaning our triggers differ too. What makes me sad or happy is probably not the same for you. I would try and go back to a time in your life that you felt happy and stable. Think really hard about what it was that made you feel confident whether that was being on a sports team, doing well on a test, or even something as simple as cooking a good meal. If you really can't think of a time that you were happy then try and at least think of time where you used to dream. Also, I have always found that learning a new skill always cheers me up and makes me feel like I'm capable of achieving goals. I'm trying to learn a new language right now so maybe something in that ball park. Good luck and I hope you overcome your internal struggle.
  6. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

My father suffered from clinical depression for many years. I know how hard depression can be for a person and how difficult is to live with depression. After trying medications for many years, my father turned to faith healing. With the help of faith healing, my father was able to overcome depression.