An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How To Dispel Myths?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, May 27, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Many kids start using drugs because they've heard tales . . . that drugs can:

- make them relax in social situations.
    - make them feel good.
    - they'll "sharpen" them up.

Who wouldn't want that?

But those who tell these kids about the effects of drugs never tell them about the negative effects. Supposing a kid abuses drugs because maybe they want to be social butterflies how can you convince them that the drugs aren't good for them?
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, you have to show them examples of people that destroyed their life by abusing certain substances and also make them fully understand the consequences.
    Unfortunately, every kid think he's the "rave" just because he smokes/uses drugs and so on. This can't be erased from a teenager's mind.
  3. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

Gosh, I would honestly have the kid come on here and talk to a addict and have them explain what they have been through, and the withdrawls that they had... If someone would have done that with me, I might not be a current heroin addict...

I would be more than happy at sharing my experiences and withdrawls with a kid in hopes that I could reach them and keep them on a drug free pathway!!
  4. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

It is their parent's duty to protect them from "myths" and protect them from anyone encouraging them to try. I believe, kids still don't care about these things: ( make them relax in social situations, make them feel good and they'll "sharpen" them up). I believe, kids only want to play and play. The reason they try these prohibited drugs is, someone encouraged them to do so.
  5. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

You have to be open with them and tell them this is not true and point out to them what the negative affects are. Your children should know about your experiences, this will go a long way to assisting them. Knowing that you have first hand experience with drugs will serve as confirmation that what you tell them is the truth. Encourage them to stay away from drugs.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Agree 100% with @Danyell -- I really feel like speaking to someone that has battled addiction is what kids need. Honestly, I wish schools would take on an approach like this. Guest speakers come to schools for a host of different reasons -- so why not for things like this? I know there's a lot of very eloquent people on this forum who have battled addiction who I am sure would be great public speakers. I think for kids, telling them that something is bad when you've had zero firsthand experience about it can be seen as overbearing, overprotective and so forth. Scare the pants off them, from someone that's been there and done that, and I think it would have a lot more merit.
    Danyell and CallipygianGamine like this.
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

This is something that parents should always watch out for. If you are a responsible parent and you love your kids with all your heart, take time to have a regular heart-to-heart talk with them. Let your kids know that they can be open about anything, and I mean absolutely anything under the sun with you. And when they open up about something negative like for example trying out to smoke or drink with some friends, never ever show an angry attitude or violent reaction towards it because they will suddenly back off and never open up to you again. Practice a calm and non-judgemental conversation with your kids so you'll be able to guide them positively throughout their impulsive growing up years.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That is why we, as adults, should really disclose these things to the youth so they won't just see the "fun" in drugs, but also the dangers that would come with it. Tell these kids that yeah, drugs can give you pleasure, but that is just temporary. The negative effects of these substances though are kind of permanent.
  9. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’m another one who thinks that kids need to see and hear a real-life example of what drugs and alcohol can do. Kids will sometimes be disinclined to listen to their parents, especially for the reasons @kassie1234 listed. So to witness someone with first-hand experience of the negative effects of drugs could have an impact.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Alcohol And drug abuse is still seemed in a way, a lot cooler than being straight. While people know all about the dangers, it's easy to forget all that in the spare if the moment. I think in schools and colleges there needs to be a lot more done to show the dangers, real life examples that might stick in the mind.

Just reading about something doesn't always work, people sometimes have to be shown, before it makes a difference.