An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to encourage smokers to stop smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Damien Lee, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

There are many smokers who would like to stop smoking, but there are others who haven't decided to give up their cigarettes. I generally have a fairly liberal attitude towards others, and don't wish to impose my will on others. But sometimes, it's good to give folks a suggestion which would benefit them.

It's not secret that smoking has adverse affects on peoples health. We need to remind smokers about the dangers of smoking, but without becoming overly preachy. And then, we should also point out some of the positives we non-smokers enjoy, such as easier breathing and more energy!

Have you found a way to encourage the non-smokers around you to stop smoking?
  2. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

Well, I have recently cut back and almost have totally quit smoking cigarettes by switching to a small, disposable vaporizer pen and it has helped immensely. I went from smoking anywhere from half a pack a day to a whole pack, or more, down to 2 MAYBE 3 cigarettes a day, at most. Seeing my skin get better, eyes look healthier, teeth getting whiter, and my nails growing out nice and healthy, I have managed to get 3 of my friends to switch from cigarettes to vaping as well. I got the original courage to quit smoking by a co-worker, who told me all there is to know about basic vaping. I love it! Ive also saved about $200 so far, so that is going towards my school debt. So not only is it helping me physically, it is also helping me financially as well. :)
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I read somewhere that smokers associate smoking with their identity and one way to get them to stop smoking is by getting to face the facts so they can detach themselves from smoking. How it can be done:

- show them how they waste their money on cigarettes.
    - use compelling evidence to convince them that smoking eventually will kill them.

and more . . .

Sure they see some of those warnings how smoking is harmful to their health etc, etc but they also need to hear that from people they trust. Who knows maybe talk about saving money could get them to think about quitting.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I agree with @Rainman on how much smoking is affecting their finances; there can also be some gruesome sort of video to descriptively show how much damage smoking is causing to the body system. If this video could go viral on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, I believe a percentage of smokers would quit.

Visuals remain in the mind for a long time and sometimes forever.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

For me, my way of encouraging others to stop smoking is through example. I can't really sway others with just words. I just show them the benefits of being nicotine free. My health is much better. I don't smell like an ash tray. My over-all appearance is much better compared to when I was smoking.
  6. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

An addiction is an addiction. I find the best way to encourage someone to quit smoking is to find them an alternative. Educating them on nicotine products and/or vaping is the only real way to get them off cigarettes. The negative health effects and the dollar cost of cigarettes per year doesn't mean much to someone that is addicted to cigarettes.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Just being plain supportive. I learnt a long time ago that nothing I say will make my fiance want to stop smoking, that decision must come from within himself. So I am trying to stay calm and not let the fact he might never stop smoking affect me. I guess I am still hoping for the best, but I am being quite realistic.
  8. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

You gotta hit em with the truth pretty much, if they don't stop smoking they are gonna end up either dead or with really bad health throught all of their lives. Some people might choose this over their health but if they don't there's nothing you can do about it. You can encourage them with other much healthier addictions like vaping but that's up to you.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The best way to encourage people to stop smoking, is talking about side effects. Telling someone how there lungs will
    become black and tar infested is one way. Even showing pictures of people with smoking related diseases helps. Telling people about those who successfully quit smoking works also.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Unfortunately, my bro was not deterred when my grandfather died of emphysema because of smoking, and he kept on smoking after that.

I guess what I can do to encourage the smokers to stop smoking is to remind them of the expenses and suffering that they will endure due to smoking-related diseases, and the savings that they will have if they will stop smoking.
  11. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

We have a small 5 a-side football meet up where I work.
    And something that has made one person quit is when they realised for themselves how unfit they were when trying to run around.
    This person hadn't played football since his teens and imagined he'd be just like then, but alas ,no. Wheezing and cramping loads.

His inspiration to quit came from wanting to get better at what he enjoyed doing, 5 a-side.
    I think this is so important, let them see and find a reason to quit, guide them to find this but they have to really want it :)
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

One of my close friends still smokes. It's been many times she's quit. She's smoked through financially tough times, she's smoked through health scares - I honestly don't know what else I can do to convince her. I think honestly, the motivation has to come from within, and anyone else trying to push a person probably won't work. The fact that cigarettes are so accessible definitely doesn't help, either, I'm sure.
  13. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

They have to want to give up for themselves.
    All you can do is gently put reasons in their mind and let them want to quit.

Hard when it is someone you care about.