New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to get someone to admit drug abuse

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by suzy, Feb 17, 2017.

1. suzy

suzy Member

I suspect a family member is a drug addict I asked and they tell me I am crazy and whoever told me is a liar. but I have caught this person in several lies and they are broke. They work and have no money and don't pay their bills. I told them if they don't admit it, there is nothing i can do to them.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@suzy... Welcome to the community. Unfortunately, there isn't any way to get someone to admit that they are abusing drugs. Most drug users are in denial and are not very good at telling the truth either.

My best advice would be to keep talking to your family member from time to time. Express your concerns using love and compassion, not anger and confrontation. (Doing the latter will just drive them further away.) And tell them you will help them if they want to get better.

You might also want to check out this blog I wrote. Some of the books may be of interest to you. (I highly recommend the first one for someone in your situation.)

6 Essential Books for Those with an Addicted Loved One

I'm sending you lots of positive vibes and hugs full of hope. Remember: Addiction is a disease, not some kind of moral failing. So keep on loving your family member no matter what.
    Cathyb likes this.