An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to get stepson and daughter-in-law to go to treatment?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Kim1414, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Kim1414

Kim1414 Member

My stepson and daughter-in-law are both addicted to prescription medication. They both need help. They refuse to listen to anyone and know everything. They have both lost their jobs because of their addiction and my daughter-in-law recently fell down a flight of stairs and broke her leg in several places. I am sure the fall was the result of being under the influence. They are on government assistance for housing and food stamps. We have offered to send them to treatment centers but they refuse. Can anyone give me any suggestions of how to get them into treatment? I know we probably can not do anything until they seek help but I thought I would ask.
  2. olb1213

olb1213 Member

I'm sorry you and your family are going through this. Unfortunately, unless they are willing to admit they have a problem and are willing to get help, there is very little you can do. It's impossible for us as family members to want it enough for them. I had to learn this the hard way. You could consider holding an intervention, but be aware that those are not always successful.