An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to go about eating less?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by FuZyOn, May 24, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I have a friend who kind of has a really bad food addiction. By food addiction I mean that he always feels the need to eat, doesn't matter where he's at. He also eats a lot at night (I've heard that this is bad).
    It is really concerning me and I don't know how to approach the subject with him.
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It sounds to me like your friend could be addicted to the sugars and other additives that they put into a lot of processed food these days. Obviously, there might also be deeper issues lurking within him, that he will have to address sooner or later, before he starts developing any serious health problems. What does he usually eat? Junk food?
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe he should try to get his mind busy on other things. Such as on having sports or joining groups in which he will be busy doing other things than eating. He should try his best to control himself from eating too much and often even not hungry.
  4. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Eating at night isn't actually any worse or better than eating throughout the day. It's a myth that your metabolism slows down at night.
  5. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I used to have this problem, I would eat all the time even if I wasn't hungry. I personally think it was due to boredom so I started getting out more for walks and exercising more often, just trying to keep busy and I found I ate a lot less often. It could be a good start for your friend.
  6. LilAnn

I don't know if this will apply to anyone else or if its just me, but I get really hungry every morning. If I can distract myself or just deal with it for a little while the hunger passes.
  7. FuZyOn

Well, I think that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You may skip lunch or dinner but it's really important to eat something in the morning. It kind of lifts up the mood a little bit.
  8. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

It's quite difficult to make a "correct" approach. Everybody knows that a normal adult needs about 2000 calories a day. If you eat all the time you exceed this amount and you obviously start gaining weight. In most cases it's really difficult to open someone's eyes but if I was you I would show him where the future might take him if he continues this pattern. I would try to scare him by showing him a video of someone who is obese and would do anything to be the weight your friend is. I think it's really important to not be preachy but try to approach him as a friend with genuine concerns. Hope this helps! Fingers crossed! :)
  9. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I'm wondering if your friend is under something stressful and this is his way to deal with it? Maybe your friend should start trying some things to try to get his mind off of eating. If he's eating because he feels hungry, then I suggest drinking a glass of water before the meal. I hear that the water will fill you up and you won't eat as much.
  10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Is your friend obese? Are his eating habits interfering with his work? Relationships? Health? I understand your concerns, but with any addiction the habit will not change unless he wants to change. If it's killing you to keep it to yourself, mention it, but don't nag him. He'll simply start avoiding you if he gets tired of hearing it.
    LilAnn likes this.
  11. LilAnn

You're definitely correct, there. But I can't do it. If I eat in the morning I'm ruined for the rest of the day.

@kjonesm1 is right! If he doesn't want to change he won't, and it doesn't matter what you say.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  12. FuZyOn

He is not really obese, although he is a little overweight because he usually eats a lot of junk food. Lately I've been trying to nag him about his eating habits but he just laughed off my concerns and changed the subject.
    I think that as long as he doesn't want to change I'm better off focusing on myself.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That friend of yours seems to be suffering from severe hormonal imbalance. If not treated immediately, he may end up bloated or he destroy his digestive tracts. This is not to discriminate or anything but fat people in general should strive to lose weight. They don't have to lose weight then and there or so much but it pays to eat healthy as it would be beneficial to them in the long run. They may not feel it at present but over time, their weight and eating habits will take a toll on their health. Something has to be done while it's still early.
  14. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I think that's a great idea! If your friendship is important it's best to let him make his own decisions and be supportive as a friend. Maybe if he sees you going to the gym or cooking healthy you can catch his interest or want to get involved. Good luck!
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It is hard, but I think if it was a friend or loved one in the same boat in my life, I'd try and always ensure I was doing activities with the person where it was difficult to be in a predicament to eat. Same as what I do with my friends who still smoke - I try to do things with them where they won't be able to smoke (I figure I'm helping their health long term, right?!)

Things like going out and doing something active where it would be difficult to be eating at the same time for instance, being outdoors or something like that. Your friend could obviously bring snacks I suppose, but ultimately it would be hard to be eating and doing something active at the same time.
  16. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think the personshould try something else to, keep the mind away from eating the foods which are not good for the body or keep themselves busy with maybe work or hanging out with family and friends may do some good. I reckon that if the family is busy and occupied with other things then they may change their lifestyle and try and get them to eat more healthy foods more then they may see it is good for them. Sometimes some people, may be facing some issues and could see eating lollies or junk food as a way to get rid of the depression and not think what will happen to the health and how their body will be affected by this.
  17. LilAnn

Sometimes, when I have an anxiety attack, eating will help settle my nervous stomach. I couldn't imagine it being like that all the time.
  18. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

In our life we should do all things in moderation and that is the same thing with our eating habits. Eating healthy foods in the right amount that will give our body the right nutrients should be our good habit and no to junk foods. As a friend who really cares I think it is not bad if you will tell him to change his eating lifestyle. Motivate him and it is already up to him if he will listen to you at least he knows that you are concern about him.
  19. LilAnn

If do bring this up to him you should try to not make him feel like its an attack. if he feels the need to be defensive, you've lost him.
  20. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I'm an emotional eater, and I've lost weight and gotten it under control now, but at one point I was 5'2 and 175 lbs because of this.

Ultimately, your friend won't stop the overeating unless he wants to. He'll have to want to stop more than he wants to overeat. But you could ask him the question: why do you eat so much? Is it because you're hungry, or for emotional reasons? Eating because you're bored, you're anxious, you feel depressed, or you just like the taste of something but are already full are not good reasons to eat.