An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to go about eating less?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by FuZyOn, May 24, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Of course eating at night causes weight gain, and the whole metabolism process is going on in our organism, that's why it is very unhealthy to eat during night time.
    “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.”
    As to you're friend you should convince him/her that eating that amount of food isn't fine,
    it will also cause obesity in the later future. It's not a way to cope with problems.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

First, ask your friend why is he eating that much food in the first place. Does he have any problems? Maybe he feels depressed? Or just bored? If he answers any of these, then you can try to remedy it. Solve his problem or emphatize with him, take him to a Psychiatrist if he is depressed, or go out if he is feeling bored.
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

thats why I had to stop buying certain foods and deserts. I wouldn't be able to control myself.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think as a friend you can just urge him to be more active, like ask him to play basketball or badminton with him so that he can burn the calories. Also try to have a one on one talk with him and tell him that your concerned about his health.
  5. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Drinking sodas on a regular basis tends to lower hunger among many folks. I guess the gas build up in the stomach sort of creates a false sense of fullness in there. I've also heard that drinking hot water in the morning also helps reduce hunger significantly. However, I wouldn't advise either method to anyone as they can have adverse effects on one's health. The best is to eat healthily and seek advice from your general practitioner or nutritionist if you're not sure.
  6. LilAnn

When you are trying to help someone who is over weight, you have to remember that they probably have other physical issues just from carrying around that extra weight. Like bad ankles, knees, or back. A lot of exercises could hurt them more. Maybe try to convince your friend to go swimming?
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

You can start by giving him a hint of him eating too much. If he doesn't get it, try to keep him busy and engage in activities together (but not the ones like sleeping over and watching TV shows, as that involves some snacks in most cases). Hike through the woods, go cycling, do a sport together, or anything that could make him get off his couch and move. This should make him get rid of the habit of eating too much, and who knows, maybe he eats just because he's bored.
  8. LilAnn

convince him to eat a salad before every meal. Salads can be SO good. And it helped a buddy of mine lose 40 lbs in about 2 months
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The best way to control your eating is by fasting. Maybe your friend is really hungry or has a high metabolism. Either way besides someone fasting it's hard to control your eating. It will be really hard to tell someone to stop eating also. Maybe he should try sunflower seeds this isn't really much like eating just light snacking.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I would suggest your friend talk to a counselor of it is serious such as him gaining weight too fast. This might be a psychological problem more than a physical one. Can I suggest he try eating healthy food that is filling vs eating junk food you have to eat more of to get a more full feeling? Like for instance I like waffles but it might take a few before I get full. Though of I make a bowl of oatmeal, now I'm full longer.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I hope things are better with your friend, during my worst moments in life I seemed to be unable to stop eating, I had to eat and eat. I gained a lot weight, but that was my way to cope with the pain I had inside. It sounds to me like your friend is a compulsive eater, it could be something emotional... maybe he is depressed or stressed? But as long as he doesn't see a problem with this I doubt he will change. I hope he can find a better way to cope with his feelings soon.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

People do what they want to do. The only way is to do something for yourself and let him see. If you work out a ton eating at night is ok. Sometimes you will sleep way better if you try to have your last meal 3 hours before you go to sleep. Otherwise if you do a ton of cardio you are burning fat 24 hours of the day.
    The amounts. If you eat the right things you can eat a ton of them. This would be fruits and vegetables. All the rest of the things that people eat could be in moderation but is better left out. I mean you can sit and eat a whole watermelon. This is perfectly fine. Sit and eat 3 big macks. Another story. I wouldn't say anything just worry about yourself. If they catch on great if not. Oh well.
  13. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

It can be difficult to break bad habits when it comes to over-eating and eating junk. However, once the ball gets rolling, it becomes easier. Striving for X number of days eating no junk food can feel pretty empowering, once you get there. It is all only possible if done one day at a time, and only if your friend truly makes it the number one priority to change.
  14. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

People usually tend to say you should just stop and say no. But if it was that easy we wouldn't talk about it right now. Some people are just stronger then others and are able to quit easier but we are here for those who are not that strong. I have seen people not able to stop eating junk food, sweets or even pizza. Seriously, some habits lasted shorter but some of them like addiction on coca cola last until a doctor says if you drink another glass you will probably die. This is a true story as well, although i never meet a guy but i heard about him in the news. So if you cannot stop eating , maybe you do not have to. Try to eat healthier food and start working out. You should count your calorie intake and then you burn them all.
  15. 6up

6up Community Champion

That habit can lead to adding weight so please advice your friend on how to reduce the amount of food that she takes. Being overweight is the major cause of hypertension and heart problems. If possible, tell her to avoid fatty foods. Sugary foods can also result to weight addition.
  16. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Your friend probably is eating to fill a void in his life, and not from physical hunger. For each person it is differnt..anxiety could be it for one person, eating as an act to nuture themselves is a big reason why people over eat. I suffer from the same thing...Maybe you could help your friend make a list of 10 ways they could nuture themselves other than with food.
  17. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Eating too much can also be an eating disorder.Your friend needs to get himself checked out physically and psychologically. He may have a physical condition that is causing this. Once he has done these tests he can then look at whether it is a bad habit that needs to be worked on.
  18. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Many of us are emotional eaters to some extent, without even noticing it. Food makes us feel good, especially when we are feeling down. We usually go for comfort food which is mostly unhealthy and fattening. I know I have caught myself doing this and I have to watch my weight.