An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to handle Addict's Immunity

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by darkrebelchild, Mar 5, 2016.

1. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

There are certain people who never get drunk no matter how much alcohol they consume. I would conclude they are immune to getting drunk; how does one handle such people and encourage them to quit?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I wouldn't call them immune. They've merely over time built tolerance to alcohol. But that doesn't necessarily mean the alcohol they consume doesn't affect affect them in any way.

While it I know it can be hard to convince someone like this to stop drinking alcohol since they feel that they are "in control," the best way to get them to change is by telling them of the health benefits of quitting. It might help.
  3. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I have seen people who seem never to be drunk no matter the amount of alcohol they consume. Some will boast about, it but I wonder if they had ever stopped to think about the negative effect this activity may having on their bodies. These are the persons are ones who it may be more difficult to convince to quit because they believe that all is well because they are in total control.
  4. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Well, it could be that they have reached the higher echelons of addiction. Their tolerance and dependency to alcohol has reached a stage where they have to imbibe increasing amounts to achieve inebriation. You can help by bringing to their attention a prognosis of their dependency like ulcerated lips, dehydrated skin and other morbidities manifest in heavy alcohol abusers. Believe me, it works.