An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How To Help A Friend Give Up Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Amelie Santos, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Amelie Santos

Amelie Santos Active Contributor

My friend and I used to smoke a lot together, especially back in college. I was able to give it up when I left the university, although I'll still have a smoke from time to time, usually when we see each other in social situations. I think it helped that I was really just a social smoker, and as I got older, I started becoming aware of how bad it makes me feel after. She, on the other hand, has kept the habit, especially since she has a stressful job. But she promised to quit when she turns 30 - which will be in September. How do I help her get through it?
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

You should provide her with motivational material for her to read. You should also talk to her about dangers associated with smoking including cancer and death. Ask her if she can gradually reduce the number of cigarettes that she smokes daily and eventually she will come to quit smoking.
    Amelie Santos likes this.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think by telling her what you did to quit. Also by you not smoking and her being around you she won't be so tempted. Being someone to remind her and hold her accountable helps. Most of all just being supportive helps. Being in the right company will give you the right habits.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Best of luck with that, I am in the same situation with my fiance and nothing has seemed to work. When a person doesn't have the will or a true interest to quit it's almost impossible to do so. But you could try getting her the Allen Carr book? I'm reading the one targeted at people who are overweight, so far so good :)
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

You can be her motivation as you was able to get rid of the addiction. You can keep reminding her of that goal or promise and she should stick with that cause it will be also for her own good.
  6. Amelie Santos

Amelie Santos Active Contributor

I think I was able to quit because I wasn't fully addicted to the nicotine in the first place, if that's even a thing. Even now, I only want to smoke when I see others do it. But then I remember how awful it makes me feel. :) Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll look at that Allen Carr book, though I probably need that more since I'm overweight.
  7. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Try her to read Allen Carr's "The easy way to stop smoking" it will change the whole way she sees smoking. There are also audio books and a video.
  8. Devking

Devking Member

It is not easy to quit smoking habits at once. You should motive your friend by telling her disadvantages of smoking. Tell her how can smoking make trouble in her life ? explain it with some facts and show some examples of person who badly effected with smoking habits. Find when does your friend smoke mostly ? Do something which divert her mind and she forget smoking.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Every time I've put a date to quit smoking, I've failed miserably. It just doesn't work. You either quit right there and then, or keep smoking. When someone tells you they'll quit smoking next week, you can bet he\she won't.