An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to help a friend going home for the holidays?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by Friele, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Friele

Friele Member

My friend came out of substance abuse last year and have had a very good year , but there is alcohol and drugs in the family, and now he is coming home to go with them on the family traditional winter break.
    You know the type in the mountains ,in a ski resort setting, with plenty of booze and drugs around.
    And there are family member that drink excessively and use both prescription and other drugs.

I am not staying far away on work, so can not be of support in person a whole lot, but will be able to stay in contact online, text ect.
    There are other member of the family who does not have problems, but also do not see the problem he is facing. And it might be a last chance to see some old relatives like his grandfather.

Do you ave any advise to give?
    We might be able to book him in a location close by, walking distant, do you think that is the best solution to this?

I don't have any experience in this myself, as there was plenty of room in my family to get away, and we only saw each other in the mornings, so I don't really know about this.
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think the best thing would be to book him in a different place from where the rest of the family are staying. He's still very vulnerable and being in close proximity with the rest of the family would be to his disadvantage given that drugs and booze will be flowing freely. This could be the best shot that you may have.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

He needs to be away from that kind of stuff. There is no and, if's, or buts. He will easily fall back into using if he does live in those conditions. Go help him get another place to stay.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it's very healthy to be around that environment for someone in recovery. If he wants to spend time with his family then it probably would be best to just do so somewhere more controlled like a restaurant but as far as being around that behavior, if he is not the type to be able to resist temptation then it would be very difficult to find a midway solution.