An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to help addict who is suicidal?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by Rainman, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Before moving to a small town, I had a neighbor whose adult sons [alcohol addicts all of them] hadn't moved out of their home. Thinking that providing them with a place to stay and food freed up their cash so they could spend it on their vice, the parents kicked them out.

Next day they learn that one of their sons has tried to kill himself. They bring him back home. And he makes it [trying to kill himself] a habit. Any time he wants money for alcohol he'd tell his parents that if they didn't fork out the money he'd have no option but to end his misery. And because they were afraid that he'd do it, they let him have a "drinking allowance" each day.

How would you help someone like this?
  2. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

I think what such a person really needs is to go in for help. Your neighbor's sons have become dependent on alcohol and much like other addictions will do anything to get the stuff. I don't think it is fair that parents be held captive by their children's addiction to substance to the point of servicing the habit. These boys need help immediately!
  3. tatrod129

tatrod129 Member

I agree. No parent deserves to live with that. They need professional help. But that would also depend on if he wanted help. It doesn't really seem like he wants out of his addiction. It sounds like he's in so deep that he is willing to manipulate his parents into giving him money for drinking. I don't know if there is a legal way that he could be put in some sort of center but if that was my situation, it would certainly be something I would look into. I don't know how else that boy's parents would be able to put an end to this unless their son really didn't try to end his life and he has been bluffing this whole time.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Oh that is such an awful situation. I've heard of parents in that situation before. I think I watched a documentary about a man with a heroin habit. His mother would go out once a day to purchase the drugs for him even. I feel like really the only solution for them is to have him put on 24 hour psychiatric hold next time he makes that threat. From there he can be assessed and maybe have professional intervention. There's only so much they can do though as he needs to accept the help. Perhaps if they went through that rigmarole each time he made that threat (even if it's every two days) he might eventually accept it.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

That's a sad situation and as a parent I know how we can try to fix things without calling in help because we feel we are the ones who can best help. This particular situation sounds like one that really needs professional intervention.
  6. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

This person is manipulating his parents into enabling his habit. Threatening suicide every time you want something from someone isn't being suicidal. It is a mental problem though, and he needs some therapy. His parents need to cut off his "drinking" allowance, though.
  7. light

light Active Contributor

His addiction for alcohol is going to kill him slowly so even if his parents avoid his suicide by giving money or buying him alcohol, they are killing him slowly. A deep conversation with their son would help. They can make him understand that he has a precious gift, he has a family that can support him even towards a better life not a slowly death. His threats come out of his fears and his addiction. His parents must have clear that if he really was committed to suicide then he wouldn’t be alive, so they should not be lead by his threats.