An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How to help the youth deal with the dangers of drugs?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Damien Lee, May 27, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

The folks that are often at a bigger risk of drug addiction are the youth. Since they're still impressionable and have not quite acclimated to the dangers of the world, it's easy for them to fall into so many traps. Sure, we have school counselling programs, and I'm sure they help somewhat. Then there are the youth groups and community leaders that play an active role in combating this scourge.

However, this does not seem to be enough. What are your thoughts on what more could be done to help the youth from the dangers of drugs?
  2. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

School counseling programs don't do much. In my opinion they're old fashioned and boring. Youth thinks and acts differently than a normal adult. They grasp things differently. It's important to try to get on their level and try to understand their thought process and try to adapt them when it comes to tackling this issue. Face to face conversation where you can as a parent talk to your kid as a friend, not being preachy and try to really get your opinion through to him. I think we can help the youth as parents but the problem will sadly never go away.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

We had a program called DARE in elementary school in which police officers would come in and teach us kids about the dangers of drugs. It was fun, but you did not remember much of the teachings by the time you got to high school. I think the best way to talk to youth is just to keep talking to them and keep it forefront in their minds.